OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
The discussion was Massachusetts, not the country.

Massachusetts is probably one of the best equipped to attempt to get schools open. Off the top of my head they’d probably have to do half days, so feeding the kids aren’t an issue. Do a morning and afternoon session. Temperature check all children before they get on their bus or upon school entry. Leave every other desk/seat open in a classroom to remain distanced. Hire temporary janitorial staff to help with disinfecting high touch surfaces, bathrooms, etc. constantly. Stockpile masks, hand sanitizer, thermometers, and cleaning products.

There’s the basic premise for what they need to do. Then becomes the logistical problem of getting a bunch of children to keep their masks on, not touch each other, not touch their masks or rub their eyes. You also have air being circulated in a small confined space which isn’t a great idea. Add to that the financial burden. In Long Term Care we’re already seeing companies telling the state that without additional funding, they will go bankrupt due to the new regulations and the costs associated with it. Schools are notoriously under-funded with teachers being expected to pay for most of their supplies to begin with. Where’s the money coming from for extra staffing, a few dozen thermometers running 80-160$ a piece, a few thousand masks always on hand, increaseD cleaning supplies, etc?

I hope they do re-opening schools right because in Long Term Care they love to mandate before creating the mechanisms for reimbursement or for compliance. It puts a financial burden and undue stress on companies and forces them to make tough decisions of which schools may not have the luxury of doing.

It’s a tough, tough call. If anything I think the fall semester needs to be done at home and the schools need to look to the spring to re-open. The metrics in Mass could always shift one way or the other making this decision easier either way but right now I just can’t imagine they can hammer out all the logistics and safely get everyone back by September/October aka the beginning of the Flu season and possibly a second wave.

Just my 0.02¢

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Massachusetts is probably one of the best equipped to attempt to get schools open. Off the top of my head they’d probably have to do half days, so feeding the kids aren’t an issue. Do a morning and afternoon session. Temperature check all children before they get on their bus or upon school entry. Leave every other desk/seat open in a classroom to remain distanced. Hire temporary janitorial staff to help with disinfecting high touch surfaces, bathrooms, etc. constantly. Stockpile masks, hand sanitizer, thermometers, and cleaning products.

There’s the basic premise for what they need to do. Then becomes the logistical problem of getting a bunch of children to keep their masks on, not touch each other, not touch their masks or rub their eyes. You also have air being circulated in a small confined space which isn’t a great idea. Add to that the financial burden. In Long Term Care we’re already seeing companies telling the state that without additional funding, they will go bankrupt due to the new regulations and the costs associated with it. Schools are notoriously under-funded with teachers being expected to pay for most of their supplies to begin with. Where’s the money coming from for extra staffing, a few dozen thermometers running 80-160$ a piece, a few thousand masks always on hand, increaseD cleaning supplies, etc?

I hope they do re-opening schools right because in Long Term Care they love to mandate before creating the mechanisms for reimbursement or for compliance. It puts a financial burden and undue stress on companies and forces them to make tough decisions of which schools may not have the luxury of doing.

It’s a tough, tough call. If anything I think the fall semester needs to be done at home and the schools need to look to the spring to re-open. The metrics in Mass could always shift one way or the other making this decision easier either way but right now I just can’t imagine they can hammer out all the logistics and safely get everyone back by September/October aka the beginning of the Flu season and possibly a second wave.

Just my 0.02¢

Schools cry poor every year, but they are nowhere near underfunded on the whole. The money is just going everywhere except where it should.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A story that must be told. It is fascinating and will leave you shaking your head and probably angry.

If you haven't seen Netflix's Athlete A, listen to this first. If you've already seen the documentary, this will help understand how they rose to power. There is also an HBO special: At the Heart of Gold: Inside the US Gymnastics Scandal i recommend.

Just hearing about what the girls I idolized as a young gymnast went through made me choke up.

Reactions: Ladyfan

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
A story that must be told. It is fascinating and will leave you shaking your head and probably angry.

If you haven't seen Netflix's Athlete A, listen to this first. If you've already seen the documentary, this will help understand how they rose to power. There is also an HBO special: At the Heart of Gold: Inside the US Gymnastics Scandal i recommend.

Just hearing about what the girls I idolized as a young gymnast went through made me choke up.

Seconded.

I sought out Athlete A a few weeks ago because I saw Ali mention it. It is eye-opening and infuriating how these girls were treated at every step.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ZB4MWVC6DYI6TGDYGT5LZITMBI.jpg

The Duck boats will have their summer.

But the swans? The bevy won’t return to Boston this year.

For the first time in 145 years, the iconic Swan Boats that typically mark spring’s arrival and winter’s end — and usher in a summer of tourism — will not glide gracefully across the lagoon in the Public Garden.

The family-run company that has operated the waterborne vessels for more than a century made the announcement on its website Tuesday evening, citing the ongoing coronavirus pandemic as the reason for halting the popular attraction.

“We have reached the decision that it is best for us to wait until 2021 to open the Swan boats,” reads a statement on the homepage of the business’s website. “Our business is a small and intimate environment that brings people together in a memorable way. As a result, we face some unique challenges in our operation that make it difficult to assure the level of safety we are committed to providing.”

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

Just my 0.02¢

when they go back my 7 year old is wearing my bauer sheild. No way she is wearing a mask 8 hours in a school with no AC.

Reactions: Alicat and Fenway

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
when they go back my 7 year old is wearing my bauer sheild. No way she is wearing a mask 8 hours in a school with no AC.

This is probably the right idea. Much better chance of getting compliance with face shields than masks, especially for elementary schools.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

there are many types of face shields on line. Even kid sizes.
We have a small number of employees that got dermatitis from all day long masks and shifted to face shields . Might be worth checking out.

The Best Face Shields for Kids - Parenting

Reactions: Ladyfan

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
there are many types of face shields on line. Even kid sizes.
We have a small number of employees that got dermatitis from all day long masks and shifted to face shields . Might be worth checking out.

The Best Face Shields for Kids - Parenting

The one I have actually fits her well. Sheild goes well below my chin. I actually used it the other day when I went to Lowes. I gotta tell you. Its so much better than a mask. I didnt adjust it once. Also could still drink an iced coffee. lol. I think it actually protects you better and others around you too. Also covers the eyes. And easy to clean with a clorox wipe.

Reactions: Gee Wally

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The one I have actually fits her well. Sheild goes well below my chin. I actually used it the other day when I went to Lowes. I gotta tell you. Its so much better than a mask. I didnt adjust it once. Also could still drink an iced coffee. lol. I think it actually protects you better and others around you too. Also covers the eyes. And easy to clean with a clorox wipe.
This is a great idea. All parents need to look into this stuff now so if and when school opens they are prepared.

NMF

May 24, 2012
I know I am not the most well-liked person on this board. However, I need a sense of community right now. My best friend and girlfriend of 5 years broke it off with me last night. She struggles with a mental disorder that really affects her happiness and the Covid pandemic has really affected her. This is without a doubt the most heartbroken I have even been. I saw my entire future with her and in an instant its gone. My entire family lives down south, fortunately, we have facetime and the like, but I just wanted to come to a place where there are people to talk to during this crazy time. I hope you all are well during this crazy time.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I know I am not the most well-liked person on this board. However, I need a sense of community right now. My best friend and girlfriend of 5 years broke it off with me last night. She struggles with a mental disorder that really affects her happiness and the Covid pandemic has really affected her. This is without a doubt the most heartbroken I have even been. I saw my entire future with her and in an instant its gone. My entire family lives down south, fortunately, we have facetime and the like, but I just wanted to come to a place where there are people to talk to during this crazy time. I hope you all are well during this crazy time.

That's horrible man. I feel for you and if I can offer any support, please let me know. While it sucks right now and things are looking bleak, I try to focus on everything happening for a reason. Despite it being a kick in the teeth now, it will get better with enough time. Sorry.

Reactions: Bocephus86 and NMF

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Sorry you have to endure this during such a crazy time. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world but I’ve found that from personal experience that the internal pain becomes muted with time. It definitely doesn’t seem like it will in the moment, that’s for sure.

There’s a bunch of dumb cliches that can be said right now like “plenty of fish in the sea” but as far as I’m concerned that doesn’t apply when you’re talking about somebody you genuinely care for. I wish you both the best. When it happened to me I didn’t think I’d meet somebody that would make me feel the same way again and it did take a couple years but I did. I’m sure you will find happiness in somebody too. Don’t beat yourself up too bad and focus on what makes you happy in the moment

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

I'll just say, ya never know. It might be a temporary thing.
It really is a tough time for everyone, and tougher for some.
I will hope for your reconciliation. (if it's meant to be.)

Reactions: LSCII and NMF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad