OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer III - The Fours may reopen after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I am reading Big Rock Candy Mountain, a classic written in 1943 and the story goes through the 1918 flu pandemic. It is incredible...they made masks mandatory, kept a six foot distance, quarantined the sick, closed schools, theatres, etc., put coins in the oven to sterilize them, washed clothing after being around sick people, didn't touch items for several days....we didn't learn a thing in over 100 years! This could have been controlled if people reacted sooner.

Amen.
Its a proven counter measure. A small inconvenience that can save lives and keep the world running.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Oh and anyone else that comes in here to actually celebrate The death of somebody......you will be infracted or tossed.

The politics are tough to deal with. We all know that.
But have we sunk so low as to celebrate a human died?

That is far, far over the line of this site.

Disgusting.

Is this actually a thing? Were people actually celebrating this?

I am gutted. She was a trailblazer, and a beacon for equality. An icon.

As a woman this is devastating. As an American it is heartbreaking. As a human it is deeply, deeply sad.

shame on anyone saying otherwise.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

As a woman this is devastating. As an American it is heartbreaking. As a human it is deeply, deeply sad.

Yes.
You may figure out by their absence.
Its right up there with worst disgusting shit I’ve seen here over the decades..

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Yes.

ive been spending less and less time here.

thanks for reinforcing that decision.

Reactions: Kovi

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
People always default to death rate when trying to defend their nonsense covid stance that it isn’t a big deal but nobody cares to consider the possible long term health consequences to the heart, lungs, and even now we are seeing long term impact on the nervous system in some cases

Acute transverse myelitis associated with SARS-CoV-2: A Case-Report

As somebody who went through an episode of transverse myelitis let me go on the record as saying being paralyzed and being left with nerve damage =\= ideal. Fortunately I got most of my movement back but I’m still diminished physically and deal with long term effects. I guarantee these people do too

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
It certainly doesn't feel like we are all in it together to me.
Well why do you say that? I live in Arkansas and it’s certainly challenging here... many people believe it’s all political (which I do not), but surprisingly there is a lot of compassion and support. I’d say 65-75% of people wear masks, which is mandatory here. Every school district has virtual school as an option (school provided my kids new ipads with wireless connection) but many people can’t afford daycare if there kids aren’t in school so there is an understanding that schools need to be open. A lot of kids unfortunately get their only meals from schools. Which the schools are still providing even if you are virtual. Schools are pretty good, in terms of communication and requirements and cleanliness. My children’s schools provide updates daily even though we are in the virtual option. My youngest girl still goes to therapy and they have very strict protocols, screenings, equipment and toys etc can only be used by one child and than have to cleaned. All the major companies like Walmart, Tyson, JB Hunt, and all the Walmart vendors are letting staff work from home until the end of the year. Overall I feel ok about how it’s being handled. Are things that different in Massachusetts?

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
People always default to death rate when trying to defend their nonsense covid stance that it isn’t a big deal but nobody cares to consider the possible long term health consequences to the heart, lungs, and even now we are seeing long term impact on the nervous system in some cases

Acute transverse myelitis associated with SARS-CoV-2: A Case-Report

As somebody who went through an episode of transverse myelitis let me go on the record as saying being paralyzed and being left with nerve damage =\= ideal. Fortunately I got most of my movement back but I’m still diminished physically and deal with long term effects. I guarantee these people do too

Yea I think the big thing people keep forgetting is this thing is still only about a year old. There isn't much known about what kind of long term effects it can have even if you contract it and recover.

I keep seeing articles about people who have recovered having shortness of breath among other issues that they didn't have before.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Back then people cared about the lives of others and Took precautions where they could.

not that way today.
Simple precautions make a huge difference.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the bolded part Wally. The whole world essentially shut down as a precaution to this virus to protect the most vulnerable in society. The elderly and the sick were at the forefront of everyone's minds when the world put a "closed until further notice" sign on its front door.
Then as the world realised that it needed to reopen again it put a plan in place, "simple precautions" that the majority of the world are adhering to.
If that is not enough proof that people continue to care then I don't know what is.

I have seen more empathy and consideration from people in the last 4-5 months than in the 34 years I've lived previous.

I realise I live in a different country and that the US is a hotbed of fractious relations right now. My experience might be different to yours. Don't however loose sight of the good in the world, it sometimes gets lost in a sea of online noise and real life stupidity but it is there and it can be seen everyday, you might just have to scrape away a bit of the crap first.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yes.

ive been spending less and less time here.

thanks for reinforcing that decision.

@Kate08 - The past 6 months have been hell and the worst part is there is no end in sight.

We as Mods have to deal with Trump is too soft on COVID and Baker is too hard and everything in the middle - it takes a toll.

I am entering my 9th week in a bubble after spending 3 months in Hampton Beach after fleeing Cambridge.

We will get through this - we are HF Bruins Strong

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Just in the level of sanctimonious indignation for anyone that dare not match their own level of fear

There are many posters on here who have both the intelligence and the manners to have a civil and respectful debate on Covid. They can disagree on the response, the figures, the seriousness and do so in a grown up manner.
That is good.

There are however a handful of sanctimonious a-holes on both sides who seem incapable of writing a post that is not dripping in both arrogance and one upmanship. These posters often make good points but are so narcissistic that they fail to see that because they present it in such an unpleasant and unpalatable guise, their point just inevitably gets disregarded.

I find these people are often best suited to the ignore list, life is too short.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
(Not you S.) It's exhausting. i haven't been on-line lately but what the hell...?
Pisses me off that so many of them look like me... middle-aged white guy... Stop! Please. Just stop. - I understand that you want your children to be able to go to school but unfortunately there's a goddamn pandemic going on... it f***ing sucks - It does. I get it.

Wear a f***ing mask and don't congregate - it's not complicated.

I'm a lifelong Bruins fan that still plays hockey a few times a week (put it on hold) and an alcoholic chain-smoking a-hole. If I can wrap my head around it damn well sure you can.
Gives a more literal meaning to the idea of “toxic masculinity”

Reactions: b in vancouver

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
@Kate08 - The past 6 months have been hell and the worst part is there is no end in sight.

We as Mods have to deal with Trump is too soft on COVID and Baker is too hard and everything in the middle - it takes a toll.

I am entering my 9th week in a bubble after spending 3 months in Hampton Beach after fleeing Cambridge.

We will get through this - we are HF Bruins Strong

I didn’t mean that as a knock on the mods, I know you guys have an impossible task. More a commentary on the inability of many to have an adult conversation and disagree respectfully and thoughtfully.

Reactions: lopey and Fenway

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

This. Whom ever this was needs to go straight to hell

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Well why do you say that? I live in Arkansas and it’s certainly challenging here... many people believe it’s all political (which I do not), but surprisingly there is a lot of compassion and support. I’d say 65-75% of people wear masks, which is mandatory here. Every school district has virtual school as an option (school provided my kids new ipads with wireless connection) but many people can’t afford daycare if there kids aren’t in school so there is an understanding that schools need to be open. A lot of kids unfortunately get their only meals from schools. Which the schools are still providing even if you are virtual. Schools are pretty good, in terms of communication and requirements and cleanliness. My children’s schools provide updates daily even though we are in the virtual option. My youngest girl still goes to therapy and they have very strict protocols, screenings, equipment and toys etc can only be used by one child and than have to cleaned. All the major companies like Walmart, Tyson, JB Hunt, and all the Walmart vendors are letting staff work from home until the end of the year. Overall I feel ok about how it’s being handled. Are things that different in Massachusetts?
I live in massachusetts. I feel more things shoukd be opened up lije adult sports for instance. I dont like how theyve been closed down since march and our curve flattened in may. and our positive rate is .8.
that pisses me off.
for the most part everyone wears masks and distances. but for those of us who are essential and have had to go into work( not sit at home and work) since thia crap started, its getting old.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I don't live in Mass. I work there. My child is 40 so I don't have to worry about school. My heart does go out to the folks who have to deal with this very difficult time . My concern isn't with Mass or NH but with the attitude of too many in this country .

WHY are only 65% of the people doing what they should ???

I do not feel we are all in this together because there are too many (35% is too many ) that refuse to do the very simple things to try and lessen the spread of this virus. This shouldn't be political but appears to be.

IMO this is not being together on this and it is a damn shame .

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I would have to respectfully disagree with the bolded part Wally. The whole world essentially shut down as a precaution to this virus to protect the most vulnerable in society. The elderly and the sick were at the forefront of everyone's minds when the world put a "closed until further notice" sign on its front door.
Then as the world realised that it needed to reopen again it put a plan in place, "simple precautions" that the majority of the world are adhering to.
If that is not enough proof that people continue to care then I don't know what is.

I have seen more empathy and consideration from people in the last 4-5 months than in the 34 years I've lived previous.

I realise I live in a different country and that the US is a hotbed of fractious relations right now. My experience might be different to yours. Don't however loose sight of the good in the world, it sometimes gets lost in a sea of online noise and real life stupidity but it is there and it can be seen everyday, you might just have to scrape away a bit of the crap first.

I should have clarified and said ‘here’. Point well taken.
Being part of a multinational corporation in the medical field and constantly getting asked by my associates’ wh@ts wrong with you people?’....have taken its toll on me.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

This is very true. Never before in the history of the world have so many state governments willingly shutdown large sections of their economy and imposed such restrictions on their people in the interests of protecting the vulnerable. Never before have quite so many people made an effort to do what they can to contribute to this cause, often at their own expense. Let us not downplay the costs of these actions - many countries have deliberately placed their economies into recessions on a scale not seen since the 1930s. Millions have lost jobs, substantial streams of income, and other assets, most with little complaint, and the effects on young people in particular in the impact on their education, mental health and long-term job prospects will be felt for years if not decades.

All this largely not in self-interest but for the sake of those sections of the population most at risk from this respiratory illness. So while you can argue the rights and wrongs of how different governments and organizations have responded to the pandemic, and while of course there are those people who simply don't care and are more interested in their own selfish needs and desires, the vast majority of humanity has shown an extraordinary response to this challenge and in trying to help each other get through it. The value placed on human life, insufficient and small as it still may be, has never been higher.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I should have clarified and said ‘here’. Point well taken.
Being part of a multinational corporation in the medical field and constantly getting asked by my associates’ wh@ts wrong with you people?’....have taken its toll on me.

Americans get a pretty raw deal in how a lot of the rest of the world treats and perceives them, often laced with a good dose of hypocrisy. Take us Australians - we laugh and shake our heads at your problems and look down our noses at all the 'stupid' things that go in the ol' US of A, while at the same time we voraciously consume your TV, movies, music, sport and food, borrow freely from your culture and vocabulary and visit the likes of New York and Los Angeles in our hundreds of thousands while most avoid the 'less desirable' parts. Taking cheap shots at Yanks is just something that people do for fun, and often to feel better about our own situations.

But personally I believe that, even now, with all the divisions and fractures creating havoc across your country, the vast majority of 'quiet' American folks are still great people and as fine and sensible as you'll find just about anywhere in the world. You just have to get past the noise from both extremes to find them.

Reactions: BMC

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
There are however a handful of sanctimonious a-holes on both sides who seem incapable of writing a post that is not dripping in both arrogance and one upmanship. These posters often make good points but are so narcissistic that they fail to see that because they present it in such an unpleasant and unpalatable guise, their point just inevitably gets disregarded.

Just @ me next time

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
My concern isn't with Mass or NH but with the attitude of too many in this country .

WHY are only 65% of the people doing what they should ???

I do not feel we are all in this together because there are too many (35% is too many ) that refuse to do the very simple things to try and lessen the spread of this virus. This shouldn't be political but appears to be.

IMO this is not being together on this and it is a damn shame .

Let's not generalize due to the observations of one person reporting on what they see in one remote part of the country.

I personally have only seen one person maskless in a store since this began. One. So 99.999999% of folks I've been in contact with in a public indoor space (not counting restaurants) have been doing their part and following guidelines.

The internet makes everything seem worse because only the Karen's and kens of the world are shown. It has skewed our perception of the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad