OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer III - The Fours may reopen after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I find Facebook now is used more by the older generation (say 45+) than it is by teenagers or young adults (25 and under). I would assume the younger crowd have gravitated towards other social media platforms.

Yea I definitely agree with that sentiment. My younger brothers and half sister both consider Facebook to be for "old people".

I'm sure it's more /Snapchat/instagram/TikTok for the younger generations.

Twitter seems to be a 90's/80's born and earlier thing.

Reactions: BruinDust

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
To pretend it's just the young being the majority affected by social media is very naive.

The droves of people yelling about Bill Gates chipping people with a corona vaccine aren't the youngins.

I'm more worried about how they vote than the young teenagers who just do dumb stuff with their friends

Did I say it was 'just the young' being impacted by social media? I'm only talking about one aspect of the issue.

And if only the extent of the problem for young people was just doing 'dumb stuff with their friends'. It's so much more insidious and potentially harmful than that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yea I definitely agree with that sentiment. My younger brothers and half sister both consider Facebook to be for "old people".

I'm sure it's more /Snapchat/instagram/TikTok for the younger generations.

Twitter seems to be a 90's/80's born and earlier thing.

I work with a lot of people in the 45-65 age range. When the pandemic hit, our workplace (roughly 400 people) set up a facebook group. I was amazed at how many co-workers were active facebook users and posted stuff daily in our workplace group. My bosses bosses boss is pushing 60 and the dude is a facebook fiend, just sharing stuff from his life all the time (appropriate stuff, some funny, some inspirational, he's a good guy). The guy who hired me just retired and I'd say he's good for 2-3 posts/shares a day. Meanwhile the younger crowd at work couldn't be bothered with it for the most part.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I work with a lot of people in the 45-65 age range. When the pandemic hit, our workplace (roughly 400 people) set up a facebook group. I was amazed at how many co-workers were active facebook users and posted stuff daily in our workplace group. My bosses bosses boss is pushing 60 and the dude is a facebook fiend, just sharing stuff from his life all the time (appropriate stuff, some funny, some inspirational, he's a good guy). The guy who hired me just retired and I'd say he's good for 2-3 posts/shares a day. Meanwhile the younger crowd at work couldn't be bothered with it for the most part.

Yea that's pretty on the nose for my experience as well.

Did I say it was 'just the young' being impacted by social media? I'm only talking about one aspect of the issue.

And if only the extent of the problem for young people was just doing 'dumb stuff with their friends'. It's so much more insidious and potentially harmful than that.

It's not any worse than listening to 24/7 news channels and taking it as gospel.

You can find inscriptions on stone tablets with older generations complaining about how kids just don't have respect anymore and how the next generation is always worse than the one that followed it. Thousands of years later and it's the same complaints just a different medium.

Instead of the kids being corrupted by rock and roll and disco now it's social media.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I find Facebook now is used more by the older generation (say 45+) than it is by teenagers or young adults (25 and under). I would assume the younger crowd have gravitated towards other social media platforms.

They have, mainly Instagram & SnapChat. This according to my nephew & niece who are in that age group.

Reactions: BruinDust

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

This is scary. My daughter works at a hearing clinic and a patient came in who had COVID in March. He is in his early 50s and had no health problems in the past. He is at emergency most days now because his heart was damaged and his pulse reaches 200 beats per minute. He has to have major heart surgery that has a very high risk. The death rate is what people keep quoting but where are the stats on people whose lives are impacted forever from heart, brain or lung damage? There is no second chance with this virus, this is not the flu.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was the person who took the call at WMUR - I almost got fired

upload_2020-9-21_13-24-12.png

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

This is scary. My daughter works at a hearing clinic and a patient came in who had COVID in March. He is in his early 50s and had no health problems in the past. He is at emergency most days now because his heart was damaged and his pulse reaches 200 beats per minute. He has to have major heart surgery that has a very high risk. The death rate is what people keep quoting but where are the stats on people whose lives are impacted forever from heart, brain or lung damage? There is no second chance with this virus, this is not the flu.

Gotta wonder if it's COVID alone doing it, or if these people had undiagnosed conditions that COVID is triggering.

Similar to how every so often a kid drops dead playing sports or a pro athlete has a heart attack and after the fact they discover a previously undiagnosed heart condition

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I was the person who took the call at WMUR - I almost got fired

View attachment 368353
Hey Fenway, honest question:

Where the hell do you get all of these old news clippings from? Do you have some kind of giant scrapbook of stuff lying around?

I really enjoy the old newspaper clippings you post and I've always been meaning to ask you where you get those from. Some of that stuff, like the clipping you just posted, is pretty obscure....

Last edited:

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Yep. My son got COVID last month. He's 23 and has asthma. He graduated from college this past spring and got if from a co-worker at his new job. They had an outbreak where he works and he got infected before they could close everything down. Since he still lives at home, my wife and I, along with our 2 younger kids all got to participate in the fun as well.

Long story short, we managed through it and my son has now tested COVID free, although he still hasn't regained full sense of smell/taste. As far as we know, my wife, kids and I never got infected, and once my son tested clean, we all got tested as well. We've been staying home anyway just to be safe, but this weekend was the first time we've gone out of the house this month.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yep. My son got COVID last month. He's 23 and has asthma. He graduated from college this past spring and got if from a co-worker at his new job. They had an outbreak where he works and he got infected before they could close everything down. Since he still lives at home, my wife and I, along with our 2 younger kids all got to participate in the fun as well.

Long story short, we managed through it and my son has now tested COVID free, although he still hasn't regained full sense of smell/taste. As far as we know, my wife, kids and I never got infected, and once my son tested clean, we all got tested as well. We've been staying home anyway just to be safe, but this weekend was the first time we've gone out of the house this month.

Glad to hear he's on the mend and that the rest of you guys avoided it. It's just so easily transmissible and you never know how someone will react to it.

Reactions: lopey and Ladyfan

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Glad to hear he's on the mend and that the rest of you guys avoided it. It's just so easily transmissible and you never know how someone will react to it.
LOL. The thing is that now that he's clean, he thinks he's invincible.

I was the same way when I was 23, so the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This became must see TV- it killed the competition in its time slot for years. Frank Gifford tried to keep things steady & call the game while Howard Cosell & "Dandy" Don Meredith riffed on anything/everything :laugh:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I watched that game and I remember my dad laughing his ass off at that when it happened and being confused because I didn't know what the middle finger meant at that time.....

My other MNF memory was when Howard Cosell announced during the game that John Lennon had been killed.

I literally thought that's what the clip was at first, until I noticed it was 50 years ago, not 40....

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Some people do not get this. The guy who lives across the street from me got the virus and was on a ventilator.
He spent some time in a nursing home and now is home. He looks like he has aged 20 years and his heart and lungs are damaged for life.

Last edited:

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
My coworker had it the first week of July.

Took about a month to recover but she still doesn't have her sense of smell.

Had an MRI and they don't notice anything abnormal, but that's still concerning.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
My coworker had it the first week of July.

Took about a month to recover but she still doesn't have her sense of smell.

Had an MRI and they don't notice anything abnormal, but that's still concerning.

What is also worrying is that it may lie dormant for a while like the chicken pox virus which decades or years later resurfaces as shingles which is very serious in some cases.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Today I tried a super lazy shortcut and IT FREAKING WORKED.

I present to you...crockpot caramelized onions

C49342CA-FF3D-4CDD-B2D4-126114067C38.jpeg

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
How is it a short cut if it takes longer than in a frying pan?

....or is it faster? You have me intrigued by this.....

I stead of standing over a pan for 45 minutes when I got home from work I let them slow cook for 10 hours while I was at work.

so, longer but less work. A longer shortcut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad