OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer III - The Fours may reopen after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Let's not generalize due to the observations of one person reporting on what they see in one remote part of the country.

I personally have only seen one person maskless in a store since this began. One. So 99.999999% of folks I've been in contact with in a public indoor space (not counting restaurants) have been doing their part and following guidelines.

The internet makes everything seem worse because only the Karen's and kens of the world are shown. It has skewed our perception of the real world.
I am speaking of observations I have seen in person. Name calling is not a good look for you

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I didn’t mean that as a knock on the mods, I know you guys have an impossible task. More a commentary on the inability of many to have an adult conversation and disagree respectfully and thoughtfully.

Unfortunately Kate, that's increasingly the internet writ whole as it brings out some brutal tendencies in people and has us talking to each other in ways we never would in real life. Adult conversations are filled with grey areas, respect and nuance - while too many people just use it to scream to be heard.
It's akin to taking the subway and thinking everyone should pay attention to the drunken homeless guy with mental issues screaming at ghosts.

Like most people whom post, I ain't perfect but like the vast majority, do try and be respectful and calm. Not every post I write is great and I definitely have been a jerk at times... but mostly, even on-line, the overwhelming majority are decent. For my own peace of mind I try to chime in every once in awhile, as I like talking sometimes, while trying to ignore that guy peeing in the corner.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Unfortunately Kate, that's increasingly the internet writ whole as it brings out some brutal tendencies in people and has us talking to each other in ways we never would in real life. Adult conversations are filled with grey areas, respect and nuance - while too many people just use it to scream to be heard.
It's akin to taking the subway and thinking everyone should pay attention to the drunken homeless guy with mental issues screaming at ghosts.

Like most people whom post, I ain't perfect but like the vast majority, do try and be respectful and calm. Not every post I write is great and I definitely have been a jerk at times... but mostly, even on-line, the overwhelming majority are decent. For my own peace of mind I try to chime in every once in awhile, as I like talking sometimes, while trying to ignore that guy peeing in the corner.

I have no idea why people would have social media. What's the point of it? 95% of your friends list I'm sure you'd never even be bothered to hang out with. FaceTime allows you to see family, you can message photos....Facebook is a "look at me" thing and Twitter is a "I'm only posting this because I know I will never have to defend myself in person"... such a lame concept.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As for a vaccine, unless it's 100% effective and every person in the world gets it, this will still be around...no offense either but no way I'm getting a first run vaccine, I don't care what the tests show. People should assimilate into society best they can now with proper PPE and distancing and things need to fire back up as best they can. You can always go backwards again if you need to. I will say again, the onus needs to fall on the individual now and their own personal requirements. They are the one's that need to take the steps in protecting themselves. If you're older and or compromised (I guess I qualify as both since I have sleep apnea) you don't go places where a lot of people will be, it sucks but it's life. now.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
CNN)Most children in British Columbia can say goodbye to those icky swabs and uncomfortable Covid-19 tests as the Canadian province launches a new gargle method for students ages 4 to 19.

"It is one of the first of its kind around the world," said Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, at a press conference Thursday.

The B.C. Centre for Disease Control says the new test is just as accurate as tests using a nasal swab and is much easier to administer for children.

A new Canadian Covid-19 gargle test 'one of the first of its kind' in the world, doctor says - CNN

Reactions: b in vancouver

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
As for a vaccine, unless it's 100% effective and every person in the world gets it, this will still be around...no offense either but no way I'm getting a first run vaccine, I don't care what the tests show. People should assimilate into society best they can now with proper PPE and distancing and things need to fire back up as best they can. You can always go backwards again if you need to. I will say again, the onus needs to fall on the individual now and their own personal requirements. They are the one's that need to take the steps in protecting themselves. If you're older and or compromised (I guess I qualify as both since I have sleep apnea) you don't go places where a lot of people will be, it sucks but it's life. now.

I agree with you, we locked down in Ontario and flattened the curve which was the plan. Now with gyms, bars, schools open, we need to take care of our own needs as you say. We are looking at what seems to be a second wave now. It is scary but we all need to do our part so we can manage the case loads. Shutting down everything again shouldn't be necessary if people can follow a few simple rules to minimize the spread especially if they are exposed to the virus.

Reactions: lopey and Ladyfan

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I have no idea why people would have social media. What's the point of it? 95% of your friends list I'm sure you'd never even be bothered to hang out with. FaceTime allows you to see family, you can message photos....Facebook is a "look at me" thing and Twitter is a "I'm only posting this because I know I will never have to defend myself in person"... such a lame concept.

I'm more rotary phone than digital age.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
And so it begins.......

upload_2020-9-19_17-12-51.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

The damage being done to teenagers in particular by social media and other online platforms is just enormous and we really don't have idea how to stop it. We can mitigate it to some degree by targeted education, and by effective parenting that limits its use, but in the end it really is an environment over which there is incredibly little control, and which can do all kinds of insidious damage to young minds. It's got some great benefits too, which shouldn't be overlooked, but overall it's created a whole new layer of issues for adolescents that we're only beginning to get a handle on.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
CNN)Most children in British Columbia can say goodbye to those icky swabs and uncomfortable Covid-19 tests as the Canadian province launches a new gargle method for students ages 4 to 19.

"It is one of the first of its kind around the world," said Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, at a press conference Thursday.

The B.C. Centre for Disease Control says the new test is just as accurate as tests using a nasal swab and is much easier to administer for children.

A new Canadian Covid-19 gargle test 'one of the first of its kind' in the world, doctor says - CNN

Anyone one whom doesn't know Dr. Bonnie Henry - she's a health official on the West Coast and essentially why Western Canada hasn't suffered as much as most. Two nursing homes in Greater Vancouver got hit hard with some of the first cases and it looked like we were going to be crushed back in what feels like a lifetime ago.
But the Premier (Governor in the U.S.) moved to the side and gave her centre stage and full voice on this and there's constant ads of her calmly talking about what's going on and informing the public. It's fantastic!

There's bus ads of a picture of her at 7 years-old with the caption 'The World Needs Nerds'. - it'll make people weepy. She pretty much embodies what the response should've been. Open, honest, earnest and truthful.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Tomorrow I’m going full Macgyver in the dash of the Malibu.

Attachments

• BEC61B9D-BD18-4F97-81BD-7C3DDD9F7058.jpeg
    BEC61B9D-BD18-4F97-81BD-7C3DDD9F7058.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 7BAC113B-7969-4B95-AFFF-0E23C7FADF52.jpeg
    7BAC113B-7969-4B95-AFFF-0E23C7FADF52.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 5

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Anyone one whom doesn't know Dr. Bonnie Henry - she's a health official on the West Coast and essentially why Western Canada hasn't suffered as much as most. Two nursing homes in Greater Vancouver got hit hard with some of the first cases and it looked like we were going to be crushed back in what feels like a lifetime ago.
But the Premier (Governor in the U.S.) moved to the side and gave her centre stage and full voice on this and there's constant ads of her calmly talking about what's going on and informing the public. It's fantastic!

There's bus ads of a picture of her at 7 years-old with the caption 'The World Needs Nerds'. - it'll make people weepy. She pretty much embodies what the response should've been. Open, honest, earnest and truthful.

She was profiled in the New York Times for her efforts during the pandemic:

The Top Doctor Who Aced the Coronavirus Test

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
There are many posters on here who have both the intelligence and the manners to have a civil and respectful debate on Covid. They can disagree on the response, the figures, the seriousness and do so in a grown up manner.
That is good.

There are however a handful of sanctimonious a-holes on both sides who seem incapable of writing a post that is not dripping in both arrogance and one upmanship. These posters often make good points but are so narcissistic that they fail to see that because they present it in such an unpleasant and unpalatable guise, their point just inevitably gets disregarded.

I find these people are often best suited to the ignore list, life is too short.

You are dead right about this. I've put more people on ignore in the past 6 months than I have in the past 18 years of posting here.

Enough is enough. Life is short and as I grow older it is getting even shorter. I'm through with drama, I'm all about comedy now :)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Finished. Took 4-5 hours but we’ve now got a cleanly installed glove box radio, and proper left/right two way speakers in the dash. I ran an aux under the carpet and popped it onto the console, and left a usb under the dash for music/charging as well. Very pleased with how this turned out!

Attachments

• CD34F239-BA29-4831-B596-D50F00C24AA5.jpeg
    CD34F239-BA29-4831-B596-D50F00C24AA5.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 746EFD52-8061-4749-83DF-62B792F73910.jpeg
    746EFD52-8061-4749-83DF-62B792F73910.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • A4ECD6EE-BD00-48C7-8B24-E9A864C668BB.jpeg
    A4ECD6EE-BD00-48C7-8B24-E9A864C668BB.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 2
  • E1B6ED7F-62A6-4621-9337-F839E78D1F8B.jpeg
    E1B6ED7F-62A6-4621-9337-F839E78D1F8B.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: BMC

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I was a huge hockey card collector as a kid in the 90s. Still have my collection, albeit in storage, but saw some cards for sale in a store today so bought a couple packs for nostalgia's sake. Pulled a McAvoy card in my first pack, and a Gryz in my second. Totally worth it.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
I was a huge hockey card collector as a kid in the 90s. Still have my collection, albeit in storage, but saw some cards for sale in a store today so bought a couple packs for nostalgia's sake. Pulled a McAvoy card in my first pack, and a Gryz in my second. Totally worth it.

I also bought some packs for old times sake, only Bruins I got were Coyle and Rask

Reactions: BMC and UConn126

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
She was profiled in the New York Times for her efforts during the pandemic:

The Top Doctor Who Aced the Coronavirus Test

I did not know that. Thanks for the link. She definitely deserves the recognition. And the article should be read.
Before this pandemic I'm not sure how many of us knew whom our health officials were... but we were damn lucky to have her out here.

Reactions: Olden McGroin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Opening a freshly minted pack of cards is one of life's biggest thrills...Just something about it that takes you back to a better time...that will never get old for me.... just like opening the pages of a new comic book or maybe having a favorite treat from the boardwalk say... life's little pleasures.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
I did not know that. Thanks for the link. She definitely deserves the recognition. And the article should be read.
Before this pandemic I'm not sure how many of us knew whom our health officials were... but we were damn lucky to have her out here.

For sure, she did an amazing job. As the article says. BC should have been clobbered by Covid, but thanks to her, it was pretty much spared a huge outbreak.

Reactions: b in vancouver

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The damage being done to teenagers in particular by social media and other online platforms is just enormous and we really don't have idea how to stop it. We can mitigate it to some degree by targeted education, and by effective parenting that limits its use, but in the end it really is an environment over which there is incredibly little control, and which can do all kinds of insidious damage to young minds. It's got some great benefits too, which shouldn't be overlooked, but overall it's created a whole new layer of issues for adolescents that we're only beginning to get a handle on.

To pretend it's just the young being the majority affected by social media is very naive.

The droves of people yelling about Bill Gates chipping people with a corona vaccine aren't the youngins.

I'm more worried about how they vote than the young teenagers who just do dumb stuff with their friends

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
To pretend it's just the young being the majority affected by social media is very naive.

The droves of people yelling about Bill Gates chipping people with a corona vaccine aren't the youngins.

I'm more worried about how they vote than the young teenagers who just do dumb stuff with their friends

I find Facebook now is used more by the older generation (say 45+) than it is by teenagers or young adults (25 and under). I would assume the younger crowd have gravitated towards other social media platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad