OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer III - The Fours may reopen after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No, I live in the real world where its understood that you are not God and cant prevent bad things from ever happening. People die, its a fact of life and its going to happen no matter what we do. You can't bubble wrap the world

Do you still drive a car? If so, are you fine with 675 under 12 that died last year in accidents?

Or are you ok with the unknown harm being done to kids forced into poverty situations because their parents' jobs were taken away with the lockdown? Because that's causing more harm and risking more children than just the 64.

How old are your kids?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
No, I live in the real world where its understood that you are not God and cant prevent bad things from ever happening. People die, its a fact of life and its going to happen no matter what we do. You can't bubble wrap the world

Do you still drive a car? If so, are you fine with 675 under 12 that died last year in accidents?

Or are you ok with the unknown harm being done to kids forced into poverty situations because their parents' jobs were taken away with the lockdown? Because that's causing more harm and risking more children than just the 64.

I'm going to respond and then got off this for a day...
You simply can't think that way. Mitigation efforts - social distancing, masks, frequently washing your hands - is the only thing that's slowed it down. We do not know if there's long term health factors for children! You get that right? You're washing away deaths of children like it's nothing - without thinking of whether the ones whom didn't die might have permanent damage or whether they actually spread it to their siblings, parents, grandparents, friends... etc.

Because, as a parent, I'd rather my kids have a tough social year than roll the dice that they die or live with the realization that they killed me, my wife, one of their friends or whomever - or struggled their whole lives with respiratory issues... seriously!

I know it sucks. Man up.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
No doubt. And it's gotten worse with the Internet and echo-chambers.
But the 'Lies, damn lies and statistics.' (Mark Twain?)
There's the terrible truth that this thing sucks, is killing way too many people, destroying too many lives - but can be mitigated if people acted responsibly.

I flew out to see my 84 year-old mother for a week as I had to winterize her place, chop firewood, install safety measures, clean-up of dead brush, etc. and am not sure if I'll be able to get out there or fly her here this winter because of Covid.
And no matter what statistics people use - I'd prefer some invincible anti-mask partying 20 something doesn't cough in her general direction as I kinda like her and would prefer that wasn't the last time I saw her in my life.
:heart:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2...hildren-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

• 549,432 total child COVID-19 cases reported, and children represented 10%
    (549,432/5,493,006) of all cases
  • Overall rate: 729 cases per 100,000 children in the population

It's really not about the mortality rate in children that's the issue here. It's the exposure risk and then possibly spreading it more, to potentially vulnerable members of their social and familial circles. Kids going back to school is lower risk for them, but then you have to also factor in the teachers, support staff, etc. Those people are not kids and they're putting their own well being at risk with schools being open. I personally think that's a big ask and something quite a few parents are taking for granted.

As for the social aspect, most kids are used to playing with their friends via their electronic devices already. So I think the people bringing up that aspect of schools being closed are barking up the wrong tree. Physical activity is something they definitely miss out on, but they already were before the pandemic anyway.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The tens of thousands of parents and grand parents who died from COVID won’t.

You’ve been pushing the “common flu” nonsense since the start of this. Figured as some point reality would have cracked through but nope, just that same song like a broken record.
The common flu doesn't scar your lungs for life or damage your heart. I don't get how some people don't understand this. But hey...I am 67 so it doesn't matter if I get sick and die... Thanks a bunch

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I’m not sure anyway is accepting or saying that 64 children dying is ok, but I would think that more children die in car accidents in a year than have from covid, but we all accept that you have to drive a car or at least some mode of transportation. Everything is about being aware of the risks and minimizing them. For some people particularLy those with health complications the risk is far greater, and as a society we have to do our best to protect them (like seat belt laws and enforcement for a car) but we can’t just completely stop living because some people don’t comply or accidents happen. At the same time I say all of this I have a high risk child at home, and a newborn so I as a parent certainly try to do want I can to protect them or keep them in a bubble right now, with the hope it’s short term and we can all put this behind us in another few to 6 months. I am very happen my children have the ability to do school virtually and I do worry about them socially. So to me non-judgmental options and respect for people that are high risk by trying our best to be compliant and stop the spread is the way to go, with an understanding and respect that people need to work and live. We’re all in it together.
It certainly doesn't feel like we are all in it together to me.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
More like out of 232,000,000 Americans under the age of 54, sadly 13,906 have passed away from this.
Not more or less like anything - all the numbers are what they are. You can play with em all you want but any way you slice it it’s still a shit pie.

People should be back in school, with masks and measures taken to keep as clean a room as possible. I mean at what point do you return? How much flatter you want the curve? No school until fall of 2021 when there may be a vaccine? Or maybe have everyone do their part and navigate through this? So his seven year old missed half of her 6 year old schooling, all of her seven year old schooling and maybe they get back when she's eight? Seriously?
If we wanted to get it right there’s plenty we can and should do, but instead of that it’s just “everyone back in the pool”.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
We try to be careful but nothing's absolute. I'm not paranoid about it but I am cognizant. No perpetual state of fear or anything, just trying to be a good citizen and not expose myself as I have people around me.
Unfortunately not all are willing to social distance and wear masks. There lies the BIGGEST problem.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's really not about the mortality rate in children that's the issue here. It's the exposure risk and then possibly spreading it more, to potentially vulnerable members of their social and familial circles. Kids going back to school is lower risk for them, but then you have to also factor in the teachers, support staff, etc. Those people are not kids and they're putting their own well being at risk with schools being open. I personally think that's a big ask and something quite a few parents are taking for granted.

As for the social aspect, most kids are used to playing with their friends via their electronic devices already. So I think the people bringing up that aspect of schools being closed are barking up the wrong tree. Physical activity is something they definitely miss out on, but they already were before the pandemic anyway.

Glad my kids are out.

Here's the thing though, all three of my family members are around Covid all the time. We wear masks around each other, we get tested, we don't go places with big crowds. At some point individuals need to up their game. If they have older relatives at home they need to take precautions. I just don't think the economy and especially the education system can just shut down and resort to quarter measures, it's not working for anyone.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Glad my kids are out.

Here's the thing though, all three of my family members are around Covid all the time. We wear masks around each other, we get tested, we don't go places with big crowds. At some point individuals need to up their game. If they have older relatives at home they need to take precautions. I just don't think the economy and especially the education system can just shut down and resort to quarter measures, it's not working for anyone.

Sure, and it makes sense. You see the stories like that small wedding party in Maine that has now caused over 200 people to be infected and 7 deaths because they didn't wear any PPE. Or the hairstylist that was positive but didn't get anyone else sick because she wore her mask and made all her customers wear one too. So in your case, you guys are being exposed constantly, and the risk is there, but you're also being smart. You're taking the right precautions. You're wearing the mask. Because it works.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not more or less like anything - all the numbers are what they are. You can play with em all you want but any way you slice it it’s still a shit pie.

If we wanted to get it right there’s plenty we can and should do, but instead of that it’s just “everyone back in the pool”.

Do you think your job is just going to be waiting for you? Do you expect your company or industry just to be happy with 40-50% of the business they used to have with the same staff and pay? Do you have a mortgage? The economy will just bounce back and be great? 60% of business that shut down for the original Covid crisis in March are NOT reopening. Kids in their developmental years are losing months and maybe years of proper education. That's the shit show. It's been proven with using masks and washing hands and keeping distance you can flatten this thing out and that's what's happening, it's part of life now so work around it

Reactions: BMC

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Do you think your job is just going to be waiting for you? Do you expect your company or industry just to be happy with 40-50% of the business they used to have with the same staff and pay? Do you have a mortgage? The economy will just bounce back and be great? 60% of business that shut down for the original Covid crisis in March are NOT reopening. Kids in their developmental years are losing months and maybe years of proper education. That's the shit show. It's been proven with using masks and washing hands and keeping distance you can flatten this thing out and that's what's happening, it's part of life now.
No to all your questions - and I’m not against taking what steps we can.
But on the education front it’s just not there. the hybrid plans at the secondary level are worse than full remote, and at the middle and elementary look pretty lousy too. I don’t think anyone’s calling for 25 kids in a room, 250 in a cafeteria and 1200 in the hallways between classes 5 times a day which is how we did it pre-pandemic. But maybe some people are... Masks and hand washing are good steps but can’t push back that kind of tide.

But if they’re going to run it like some colleges are doing with mandatory tests multiple times a week for all students and staff with quick turnaround results and contact tracing. That’d be a start.

Last edited:
Reactions: LouJersey

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It certainly doesn't feel like we are all in it together to me.

I promised myself I wouldn't come back to this thread... but ...

(not to you S.) if you know anyone that isn't quite getting it; call them out. It needs to be altogether or this is going to get worse. Pretending it doesn't exist and being a 'cheerleader' is dangerous. If you don't want 1st and 10 and want to run to the sidelines to be a cheerleader and wave pom poms, go ahead, but at least allow someone else to quarterback the team because it's getting slaughtered on the field.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Unfortunately not all are willing to social distance and wear masks. There lies the BIGGEST problem.

(Not you S.) It's exhausting. i haven't been on-line lately but what the hell...?
Pisses me off that so many of them look like me... middle-aged white guy... Stop! Please. Just stop. - I understand that you want your children to be able to go to school but unfortunately there's a goddamn pandemic going on... it f***ing sucks - It does. I get it.

Wear a f***ing mask and don't congregate - it's not complicated.

I'm a lifelong Bruins fan that still plays hockey a few times a week (put it on hold) and an alcoholic chain-smoking a-hole. If I can wrap my head around it damn well sure you can.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Do you think your job is just going to be waiting for you? Do you expect your company or industry just to be happy with 40-50% of the business they used to have with the same staff and pay? Do you have a mortgage? The economy will just bounce back and be great? 60% of business that shut down for the original Covid crisis in March are NOT reopening. Kids in their developmental years are losing months and maybe years of proper education. That's the shit show. It's been proven with using masks and washing hands and keeping distance you can flatten this thing out and that's what's happening, it's part of life now so work around it

My mother is 85 years old. She lived through polio & diptheria (sp?) epidemics (also measles, German measles etc) before the vaccines were available. She said they knew who were the most vulnerable to these diseases and everybody did the best they could to protect those people. But NEVER did they shut down the economy. You took your precautions and went to work/school every day. She said back then people understood that risk is a part of living, something that we have forgotten in our extremely risk averse society.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My mother is 85 years old. She lived through polio & diptheria (sp?) epidemics (also measles, German measles etc) before the vaccines were available. She said they knew who were the most vulnerable to these diseases and everybody did the best they could to protect those people. But NEVER did they shut down the economy. You took your precautions and went to work/school every day. She said back then people understood that risk is a part of living, something that we have forgotten in our extremely risk averse society.

Back then people cared about the lives of others and Took precautions where they could.

not that way today.
Simple precautions make a huge difference.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am reading Big Rock Candy Mountain, a classic written in 1943 and the story goes through the 1918 flu pandemic. It is incredible...they made masks mandatory, kept a six foot distance, quarantined the sick, closed schools, theatres, etc., put coins in the oven to sterilize them, washed clothing after being around sick people, didn't touch items for several days....we didn't learn a thing in over 100 years! This could have been controlled if people reacted sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad