OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
dont like whete this is going. hoping my area doesnt do this.
at least the teachers can continue going to the beach where theyve been all summer. cant do their job tho.

This sentiment that pervades some folks view that teachers take summers off and don't give a shit about doing their job is so blatantly off base to an alarming extent. Most teachers I know go out of their way to help their students, including spending their own money for supplies they need just to do their jobs because school funding is a joke. I get some people want to go back to school or need it because of child care issues, but let's not paint the teachers as the bad guys here. They're not. They're taking on the risk too by going aback. In fact, they've become nothing more than pawns (along with the children) in a really f***ed up political battle and to me, that's far more disturbing than even the riots or protests going on. Our children have become nothing more to some people than a political disagreement, and it's stupid.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This sentiment that pervades some folks view that teachers take summers off and don't give a shit about doing their job is so blatantly off base to an alarming extent. Most teachers I know go out of their way to help their students, including spending their own money for supplies they need just to do their jobs because school funding is a joke. I get some people want to go back to school or need it because of child care issues, but let's not paint the teachers as the bad guys here. They're not. They're taking on the risk too by going aback. In fact, they've become nothing more than pawns (along with the children) in a really f***ed up political battle and to me, that's far more disturbing than even the riots or protests going on. Our children have become nothing more to some people than a political disagreement, and it's stupid.

Well said. It is criminal the way children and educators are being treated by some people right now.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well said. It is criminal the way children and educators are being treated by some people right now.

The crazy part is that people keep saying kids don't typically get sick. Okay, so what's typically? How many sick and dead children are acceptable to the folks that want to go back with no restrictions? And that doesn't even cover the fact that the teachers will be in a closed room with these little walking balls of germs 7 hours a day. How many sick or dead teachers is again an acceptable amount just so you get to drop your kids off and walk away?

And of course this doesn't even talk about the kids becoming potential spreaders to other family members. How many sick or dead family members is acceptable so people can get back to "normal"?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Speaking of school funding being a joke.

I donated $5 at the register in Staples a couple weeks back to “provide supplies for students in Waltham Publix schools”.

If that doesn’t tell you there’s a huge problem, nothing will. The fact that anyone goes into education given the cost of gaining the qualifications to teach, time required on the job, relatively low pay, and mass of people who view educators like DB56 is incredible. Society is a flaming pile of shit without these people. If you don’t have an ability to recognize their contribution, never mind have respect for these people, I don’t want to associate with you.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This teacher in Colorado posted this video of her classroom. It was eye opening and saddening at the same time.

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Screenshot_20200730-145727_Twitter.jpg

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
That is very unfair.

I know many teachers and they are doing the best they can in a bad situation.

Not all teachers, you know what I meant. Im just pissed. I see many posting pictures at the beach every weekend, having their hair and nails done. Cant go to work though. Everyone else has to go to work. It just pisses me off. Will piss me off even more if myself or my wife has to lose our job because we have to stay home and teach all year now.

aguineapig

When James Carville was running the Bill Clinton campaign against H.W. Bush, he coined the phrase
" It's all about the Economy Stupid!." Now the phrase
is "It's Stupid, but it's all about the Economy".

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
This one personally offends me.

My girlfriend, who isn’t a teacher but rather a counselor in a middle school, has been working 5 days a week throughout the entire summer with no extra pay in an effort to coordinate multiple plans that can be applied at various points of the year based on the virus’s presence

Ignorant rhetoric such as yours is so completely misinformed and willingly devoid of reality, it makes me sick. And amazingly, this exact entirely fabricated sentiment is exactly what a certain someone wants you to believe so that you simply oblige by his agenda. This isn’t a f***ing joke, and unlike you, people do care and are trying to make the best of the situation without consciously putting other’s in harms way.

If you want to have a pro and con debate over schools opening vs. going hybrid/online, I respect that. It’s an important discussion. But stop f***ing degrading educators based off of your own ignorance. It’s downright childish.
sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but Im not the only person that thinks this. Im guessing over 50 percent feel the way I feel, and my comments were more out of frustration if I have to quit my job.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but Im not the only person that thinks this. Im guessing over 50 percent feel the way I feel, and my comments were more out of frustration if I have to quit my job.

Education isn't child care. That is the problem with how the entire social economy is set up.

It's a narrow-minded and ignorant way to view children's education and the professionals that teach them. They're more than babysitters. It's interesting that you're more concerned about your job being affected than your children's educational needs.

To play the other side - if you have a job that requires you to be onsite....find a job that allows you to work remotely.

Not that simple, is it?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Talk to HR. I swore there was some sort of temporary leave to take like 60 percent pay for x amount of weeks to take care of children that are home due to school closings. We have a couple HR admins here i believe.

a friend of mine mentioned this to me recently and i forget the details. But it caught my attention

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Not all teachers, you know what I meant. Im just pissed. I see many posting pictures at the beach every weekend, having their hair and nails done. Cant go to work though. Everyone else has to go to work. It just pisses me off. Will piss me off even more if myself or my wife has to lose our job because we have to stay home and teach all year now.

It is the weekend! No one works on the weekend unless you're job requires it. Teaching isn't one of those jobs that requires it.

Good grief, this is even worse than your original post.

Reactions: LSCII

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Again, I respect the fact that you are frustrated given the circumstances and how this will impact you. I think the discussions need to be had as far as the pros and cons to going back, not going back, or going hybrid. It is super important.

But you taking out your frustration by implying teachers are lazy and just want to sit on the beach is so ridiculously inaccurate, childish, and uncalled for, I couldn’t not speak up.

Yes, I know other people feel the way you do. They are entirely uninformed. My mother and step father (who both continue to teach well into their 60’s) and my girlfriend who I mentioned earlier never stopped working (they have worked more for much of this time trying to coordinate how to properly carry out this system). They are all extremely hard working people. That care greatly about what they do.

You are simply basking in your own ignorance and justifying it with your own frustration. You are in a very difficult spot, but that’s not because “teachers are lazy”. To me, that isn’t something that comes out of the mouth of a rational and informed adult.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Education isn't child care. That is the problem with how the entire social economy is set up.

It's a narrow-minded and ignorant way to view children's education and the professionals that teach them. They're more than babysitters. It's interesting that you're more concerned about your job being affected than your children's educational needs.

To play the other side - if you have a job that requires you to be onsite....find a job that allows you to work remotely.

Not that simple, is it?

Im just pissed. thats all. If they go full remote, we most likely will teach on our own as home schooling.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Wait, what?

Teachers shouldn’t to go to the beach on the weekend and get their nails done? And doing so means they’re lazy and not working during the week?

What’s terribly obvious is that you have zero control over where to direct your frustration. Seemingly, it aligns with some type of political agenda.

I find it amazing the standard (which I can’t even identify...it doesn’t seem like an attainable standard) you hold the general population of educators to given where you’ve set the bar for the POTUS.

It’s not unexpected. But it is laughable from any logical standpoint.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Talk to HR. I swore there was some sort of temporary leave to take like 60 percent pay for x amount of weeks to take care of children that are home due to school closings. We have a couple HR admins here i believe.

a friend of mine mentioned this to me recently and i forget the details. But it caught my attention
Expanded Family Medical Leave that is in place until December 31st.

I don't know much about it so I'll leave it up to other posters who definitely know more about it.

It doesn't hurt for anyone facing these issues to ask their HR about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad