OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Guess who has an outdoor recruitment event planned for Wednesday?

You can't make this shit up.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Well what I meant was I'm going to buy hockey cards, and hopefully down the road a few are worth some money...
Would suggest you pick a recent player whose cards might have some value - hey how about Pasta - then search for values of all cards for him. That'll give you possible resale points for the different card types - and you can check out what your purchase price would be for those card sets and see what sort of return you might have. Presumably the higher value resale cards cost more when they were purchased.

David Pastrnak Trading Card Values | Sportlots Price Guide

Note that just because someone is asking a price, doesn't mean he's getting it.

Make your own assessment, but the world is changing rapidly, and you'll need to make a determination on whether you think the demand will be there when you want to cash in. Are kids buying cards now, or are adults buying them hoping that they can make a major score down the road? Because what will keep up the resale price is the younger crowd having the interest in buying this stuff later.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
So this is semi-random, but I want to start collecting hockey cards as an investment. Anybody have any experience and know the brand/type of hockey cards that I should buy? Any advice is appreciated.
My advice:
Collect hockey cards as a hobby.
If you do it as an investment, you'll be better off investing in a lawn mower and cutting grass around the neighborhood.
Edit: I was beaten to the punch! My apologies!

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

NY was his town & it always would be
Dec 10, 2007
"When historians look back on the top films at the box office in the summer of 2020, they may feel like they’ve slipped into a time warp, or maybe “Back to the Future.” Over the second weekend in July, “Empire Strikes Back” — 40 years after it was first released — was again No. 1. “Ghostbusters” claimed the July 4th weekend, 36 years after opening. Over the June 19-21 weekend and 27 years after it last led the box office, “Jurassic Park” again ruled theaters. In a pandemic that has resurrected all kinds of vintage pastimes, from puzzles to drive-ins, even the blockbusters are retro. That is much out of necessity. About 1,000 theaters in the U.S. are currently open, just about a sixth of the nation’s cinemas." In an upside-down summer, 'Jaws,' 'E.T.' are hits again

Last edited:

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
My advice:
Collect hockey cards as a hobby.
If you do it as an investment, you'll be better off investing in a lawn mower and cutting grass around the neighborhood.
Edit: I was beaten to the punch! My apologies!

Haha, again... it's going to be a hobby, but hopefully I'll get a few that are worth something at some point.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
When I think of the cards I used to put in my bicycle spokes to make it sound like a motorcycle I want to put my head in an oven.

Prolly nothing worth anything.....just Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, maybe some Roberto Clemente rookie cards....:laugh: :cry:

Ya, we had shoeboxes of the things my mom threw out in a cleaning frenzy sometime during the years - from the 70's. Can't say the quality was likely very good though. My middle brother never fails to bring it up when we have one of our rare family reunions as his lost fortune.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
When I think of the cards I used to put in my bicycle spokes to make it sound like a motorcycle I want to put my head in an oven.

Prolly nothing worth anything.....just Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, maybe some Roberto Clemente rookie cards....:laugh: :cry:

You probably had some Honus Wagners and Mickey Mantles, too.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
dont like whete this is going. hoping my area doesnt do this.
at least the teachers can continue going to the beach where theyve been all summer. cant do their job tho.

umm......quite the broad brush here.
Speaking for my niece.............a Salem teacher..........who spent a week hospitalized with Covid and still recovering...you may want to rethink this a bit.

btw....she lives to teach and wants to get back at it................safely.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
at least the teachers can continue going to the beach where theyve been all summer. cant do their job tho.
Generalizing much... I personally know a few teachers and they are a dedicated bunch, otherwise why doing a poorly paid job if you don't like it. For the long vacation you say? I'm sure they're enjoying themselves with that salary. :sarcasm:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

This one personally offends me.

My girlfriend, who isn’t a teacher but rather a counselor in a middle school, has been working 5 days a week throughout the entire summer with no extra pay in an effort to coordinate multiple plans that can be applied at various points of the year based on the virus’s presence

Ignorant rhetoric such as yours is so completely misinformed and willingly devoid of reality, it makes me sick. And amazingly, this exact entirely fabricated sentiment is exactly what a certain someone wants you to believe so that you simply oblige by his agenda. This isn’t a f***ing joke, and unlike you, people do care and are trying to make the best of the situation without consciously putting other’s in harms way.

If you want to have a pro and con debate over schools opening vs. going hybrid/online, I respect that. It’s an important discussion. But stop f***ing degrading educators based off of your own ignorance. It’s downright childish.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

I WISH my school district would do this.

The beach, an outdoor space with no obligation to teach or babysit 50 pound frames of solid germs

or

A school, closed space with shit air quality, groups of said germ frames, all whom haven't seen each other in months slobbering their germs all over each other and every surface within sight. Oh by the way, keep them all under control for 6-8 hours.

It's the most unfair and dishonest comparison I think I've ever read here.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This one personally offends me.

My girlfriend, who isn’t a teacher but rather a counselor in a middle school, has been working 5 days a week throughout the entire summer with no extra pay in an effort to coordinate multiple plans that can be applied at various points of the year based on the virus’s presence

Ignorant rhetoric such as yours is so completely misinformed and willingly devoid of reality, it makes me sick. And amazingly, this exact entirely fabricated sentiment is exactly what a certain someone wants you to believe so that you simply oblige by his agenda. This isn’t a f***ing joke, and unlike you, people do care and are trying to make the best of the situation without consciously putting other’s in harms way.

If you want to have a pro and con debate over schools opening vs. going hybrid/online, I respect that. It’s an important discussion. But stop f***ing degrading educators. It’s downright childish.

Smashing the like button on this one

We are now best friends and you can't say no.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

What an idiotic thing to say

I just don’t understand how some of you guys can be so callous over actual human lives. It’s a f***in joke. You’re the problem.

maybe if the lot of you absolute jokes of human beings that don’t take this seriously had taken this seriously from the beginning we could actually safely reopen schools like other countries. But alas we are still here....because of people like you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->