The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Serious hunch (let’s call it a hunch but it’s more then that...) that we’ll be talking MacKay somewhere in this draft if possible.

The kid out of the Soo?

Looked at his stat line, looks ok but it didn't jump off the page

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
The kid out of the Soo?

Looked at his stat line, looks ok but it didn't jump off the page
Yeah kid out of the soo, pretty solid stats good motor but yeah doesn’t jump out, probably one of our 4ths.. I’m fairly sure we take him then if available

Reactions: Kiwi

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Some draft +2 Players I wouldn't mind drafting are:

Brett Leason RW
Jeremy Mckenna RW
Matthew Struthers C
Austen Keating C
Cole Coskey RW

All of them are producing at a ppg of 1.3+ at their senior Junior Years, which is pretty incredible

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
First draft in years I will not bother learning about the prospects etc.. I know 15 20 of them and that's enough and without a first I don't care about it this year, hoping we can find a gem in later rounds..

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Some draft +2 Players I wouldn't mind drafting are:

Brett Leason RW
Jeremy Mckenna RW
Matthew Struthers C
Austen Keating C
Cole Coskey RW

All of them are producing at a ppg of 1.3+ at their senior Junior Years, which is pretty incredible

Leason is the only one who would go above the 5th, or maybe 4th round. Some of them likely end up going undrafted.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Damn, this thread has gone dead. Not surprising. I'll still follow it and get my yearly draft stuff. The only year I somewhat completely blocked out was 2010, because that was just painful.

There isn't a ton to talk about, predicting potential picks in the back end of the 1st is hard enough but starting in the mid 50's? I honestly don't know where to start especially with how fluid a lot of lists look

Reactions: TML Dynasty

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There isn't a ton to talk about, predicting potential picks in the back end of the 1st is hard enough but starting in the mid 50's? I honestly don't know where to start especially with how fluid a lot of lists look
Yeah, 5 Nations is going down right now. I'll get to the tape on that soon. No idea who we'll be looking at in the late 2nd.

With the amount of futures we've traded, we need to find some diamonds in the ruff either in the draft or undrafted free agents to fill in cheap depth over the years.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah, 5 Nations is going down right now. I'll get to the tape on that soon. No idea who we'll be looking at in the late 2nd.

With the amount of futures we've traded, we need to find some diamonds in the ruff either in the draft or undrafted free agents to fill in cheap depth over the years.

Yeah, some intelligent UFA signings out of Europe, NCAA or junior would certainly help to fill out some depth on the cheap

Hitting those mid to late round picks is bloody difficult, the odds are definitely not in our favor

Stockpiling picks, even if there mid to late rounds and throwing more "darts" would be my basic theory

I don't entirely trust our scouting staff, except for Bergman of course

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

We need young talent. Marlies are pretty good right now, but most of the talent is 96' or older. We do have enough 97's to probably survive as well, especially if the Leafs decide to dip into the Euro/NCAA market over the next few years. 98' and on is what is lacking, but there is not really any room for too many UDFA's on the Marlies based on where I project them to be. The main lure for talent is opportunity, and we do not really have much right now.

Bolded need contracts. Assumes no trades or other Leafs additions, which could change this a little bit (especially with Timashov).

Engvall-Mueller-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Carcone
Timashov-Joshua-Korshkov
Greening
-McGregor-Dzierkals/UDFA (Brazeau)

Moore graduates, Jooris and Gagne leave, Gagner may or may not be back... I really do not know, not that there is really any room for him anyways.

Sandin-Holl
Vet-Lindgren
UDFA-Hollowell
Gordeev
-Corrado

Oleksy, LoVerde, Subban, Borgman, Rosen, Liljegren, Jardine, etc. are all somewhere else.

Kaskisuo-Scott/Woll

So one spot for defense (which may even go to a vet like Jardine) and maybe a spot for a forward (I think the Marlies have enough forward experience to bring in a rookie, especially with some depth vets like Clune likely coming back). Not exactly something to inspire many guys to show up.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Damn, this thread has gone dead. Not surprising. I'll still follow it and get my yearly draft stuff. The only year I somewhat completely blocked out was 2010, because that was just painful.

It's possible the Leafs acquire a top 90 pick or two in the next couple months when they potentially sell off players with bigger contracts. Someone like Brown could return a couple picks for example.

But yeah, I doubt the Leafs will be picking in the top 31 and generally, that's where the more casual fan tunes into the draft.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It's possible the Leafs acquire a top 90 pick or two in the next couple months when they potentially sell off players with bigger contracts. Someone like Brown could return a couple picks for example.

But yeah, I doubt the Leafs will be picking in the top 31 and generally, that's where the more casual fan tunes into the draft.

Well I mean it is not like the NHL really puts any effort into trying to make rounds 2-7 all that interesting. It's not really any different for any other league though.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I would be looking at some young, griity, 2way players to beef up the forward group before the playoffs. Of course, not breaking the bank on any of them

Lawson Crouse
Blake Coleman
Marcus Foligno
Justin Abdelkader
Jujar Khaira
Pat Maroon

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I would be looking at some young, griity, 2way players to beef up the forward group before the playoffs. Of course, not breaking the bank on any of them

Lawson Crouse
Blake Coleman
Marcus Foligno
Justin Abdelkader
Jujar Khaira
Pat Maroon

Are these just examples of the type of player you want? because your description doesn't fit any of them...

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
They are all Powerforwards under 30. All can be had for pretty cheap. Abdelkader may be a bit older though.
Abdelkader is 32, has a $4.25M cap hit for the next 5 seasons and a god awful NTC... NO THANKS!

Coleman is the only one that would really work here, but I'd rather just play Moore tbh.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I think Brown will be gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if Hyman sticks around. Obviously don't know the guy, but he comes across like he has his head screwed on, is a team first guy and would perhaps take a reasonable deal to be a part of something here.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Lawson Crouse
Blake Coleman
Marcus Foligno
Justin Abdelkader
Jujar Khaira
Pat Maroon
Lawson Crouse at this point is a guy that should be in the AHL.
Marcus Foligno is a fourth liner without much offense to his game at all.
Justin Abdelkader is, as mentioned, over 30, has a horrible contract, and a fourth line player.
Jujhar Khaira is another guy who pretty much shouldn't be in the league.

These are all guys that arguably isn't an improvement on anyone on our roster other than Gauthier, and they are all wingers. Do we really want to downgrade our roster to pick up some physicality?

Coleman is another thing. He'd be an upgrade on several players, while providing exactly what you described. The thing is, do we really want to add another 1M to a depth player right when we are at the biggest cap crunch in five years? That extra million should go towards making sure we keep Johnsson or Kapanen is my opinion.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Lawson Crouse at this point is a guy that should be in the AHL.
Marcus Foligno is a fourth liner without much offense to his game at all.
Justin Abdelkader is, as mentioned, over 30, has a horrible contract, and a fourth line player.
Jujhar Khaira is another guy who pretty much shouldn't be in the league.

These are all guys that arguably isn't an improvement on anyone on our roster other than Gauthier, and they are all wingers. Do we really want to downgrade our roster to pick up some physicality?

Coleman is another thing. He'd be an upgrade on several players, while providing exactly what you described. The thing is, do we really want to add another 1M to a depth player right when we are at the biggest cap crunch in five years? That extra million should go towards making sure we keep Johnsson or Kapanen is my opinion.

Hey, there is a point when you are just pulling shit out your ass.

Being on pace for 12-18 goals a season is pretty much what you expect from 3rd liners. So gtfo out of here with your analysis on these players.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Hey, there is a point when you are just pulling **** out your ass.

Being on pace for 12-18 goals a season is pretty much what you expect from 3rd liners. So gtfo out of here with your analysis on these players.
Ah, so you disagree on one aspect of one of these players and therefor disregard everything I said, even though it doesn't change the point I was making. Man, learn to handle some criticism of your ideas.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad