Prospect Info: The Nascent 2020 Draft Thread

The Oilers First Draft Pick in 2020 Will Be From Which League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Antonio Stranges with a strong start too. 7 points in 4 games.

Best edges in the draft, AINEC.

Dude is so fun to watch.

Jesus, I don’t think even McDavid can do that. He literally accelerated while pivoting three times.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Dude is so fun to watch.

Nice seeing a hockey player using Mohawks properly. I think there's also ton of room to make use of Choctaws but sadly most hockey players don't bother learning to skate more interestingly. Hope he'll become successful.

Reactions: Aerrol

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Nice seeing a hockey player using Mohawks properly. I think there's also ton of room to make use of Choctaws but sadly most hockey players don't bother learning to skate more interestingly. Hope he'll become successful.

Yeah he clearly has a lot of flexibility and strength in his hips to string those together like that and build speed.

Reminds me of Doug Weight opening his hips into an eagle turn coming across the blue line and defenders not knowing whether he was going to pass to the middle or pivot and go wide. Good skaters are a tree to watch.

Reactions: Aerrol

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah Mohawks are especially useful for defensemen for walking the blueline but both mohawks and choctaws allow for some very interesting stickhandling and puck protection opportunities at full speed. As a figure skating person it always saddens me that hockey players don't really try to think outside the box with their skating.

Perhaps that's where the game's going to evolve.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Dude is so fun to watch.

Going off his highlight videos. Incredible release and backhand. His edgeworks is amazing but it's seems like he can only do the mohawk going left side.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Another nice little skating clip, but this time of Lleyton Moore.

He's small(especially for a defenseman), but as you can see, such a fluid skater.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is looking like a good draft to nab a few more Germans.

Obviously you've got Tim Stutzle who is looking like a top 10 pick, but there's a couple others too.

Saw this clip of John-Jason Peterka:

There's also Lukas Reichel. Another '02 born guy in the DEL who has put up 3 points in 5 games. German kid with a Czech dad(Martin, Robert is his uncle). He's basically another Drai. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Zaddy

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Tyler Tullio is a guy I wouldn't mind the Oilers looking at if they miraculously end up picking later in the 1st.

He's a buzz saw with a great shot.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Another interesting story I saw today was about Victor Mancini.

Michigan kid who was playing in the Little Caesars program there last season that somehow ended up overseas playing in Frolunda's organization in the Swedish J20 this year.

His dad, Bob, was a scout and development coach for the Oilers for six seasons back in the 2000s, so remember that name. ;)

Last edited:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Zary & Cullye are two of my favorites as of now, assuming we have a pick in the 12-16 range.

I'm also usually against drafting goalies with high picks, but as of right now I wouldn't mind grabbing Askarov in that range.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Zary & Cullye are two of my favorites as of now, assuming we have a pick in the 12-16 range.

I'm also usually against drafting goalies with high picks, but as of right now I wouldn't mind grabbing Askarov in that range.

Do you think he goes higher than Knight? Who has more hype?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Do you think he goes higher than Knight? Who has more hype?
I'm the wrong guy to ask, there's definitely other guys on here who would have a better idea.

From what I've read though, Askarov seems more hyped as of now.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Another interesting story I saw today was about Victor Mancini.

Michigan kid who was playing in the Little Caesars program there last season that somehow ended up overseas playing in Frolunda's organization in the Swedish J20 this year.

His dad, Bob, was a scout and development coach for the Oilers for six seasons back in the 2000s, so remember that name. ;)

After his dad left the Oilers he coached the South African men's national team and helped promote them from the 3rd division WC, a division with hockey giants such as North Korea and United Arab Emirates (lol) and then coached the Romanian U20 national team. Interesting to say the least.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You guys in the Edmonton area might have to go check out some AJHL games in Sherwood Park.

Carter Savoie(older brother of WHL #1 pick, Matthew) has 23 points in 10 games and Michael Benning(yes, brother of the you know who) has 15 points in 10 games. Both are draft eligible '02s committed to the University of Denver. Savoie in 2020, Benning in 2021.

They're second and fourth in scoring on the Crusaders though. It looks stacked.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Going off his highlight videos. Incredible release and backhand. His edgeworks is amazing but it's seems like he can only do the mohawk going left side.
It is harder doing it on the backhand side with the mohawk because you need to constantly push the puck and keep it in front with one hand whereas with the forehand side you got two hands on the stick and you can actually dribble the puck.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Yeah Mohawks are especially useful for defensemen for walking the blueline but both mohawks and choctaws allow for some very interesting stickhandling and puck protection opportunities at full speed. As a figure skating person it always saddens me that hockey players don't really try to think outside the box with their skating.

Perhaps that's where the game's going to evolve.
It should not sadden you because players are way more technical in their skating now than before. Players need to have some figure skating knowledge moving forward. A lot of good skaters have true skating coaches who are figure skaters. I see it in the novice level already. The ones dominating in the Atom level are the ones who were serious figure skaters starting at the age of 5.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Bush league hit on Byfield the other day.

Gotta keep your head up coming across the trolley tracks. Just because the other guy might get suspended doesn't mean you're not looking at concussion issues if you're gonna keep your head down coming across the middle of the ice like Lindros. Byfield may have been looking the other way but he was skating right towards Clarke. It was still a head shot but Byfield needs to be more aware in that situation.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I watched Drysdale pot a couple goals the other night. The shot, the skating and the vision are off the charts.

A scout I talked to agreed he's a much better prospect than Bouchard in his draft year, and he may even be NHL ready next season.

If we fall out of playoff favour, it's too bad we are already loaded on defense prospects because I think this kid is a sure bet #1 damn.

This draft is looking to be crazy good.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I watched Drysdale pot a couple goals the other night. The shot, the skating and the vision are off the charts.

A scout I talked to agreed he's a much better prospect than Bouchard in his draft year, and he may even be NHL ready next season.

If we fall out of playoff favour, it's too bad we are already loaded on defense prospects because I think this kid is a sure bet #1 damn.

This draft is looking to be crazy good.

He's definitely my #2 to Byfield in the OHL.

I've had him ranked near the end of the top 10, but I think he's making a strong case to leapfrog some of the high-end forwards in the draft.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad