Prospect Info: The Nascent 2020 Draft Thread

The Oilers First Draft Pick in 2020 Will Be From Which League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
You have time to follow 15 year olds....wow....Thats midget/jhl ...right?
I have trouble following anything outside first rounders for this year.
Haha, I haven't watched any 2021/2022 prospects. I'm just basing that on a couple threads I saw on the prospects board.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Any under the radar guys in the OHL? Guys expected to go in the mid to late rounds this year. I've been seeing a little bit less this year so I haven't really been paying as much attention to draft eligible guys over the past couple seasons.

Already drafted by Arizona, but Jan Jenik looks like a player. He's the guy stirring the drink in Hamilton, not Arthur Kaliyev IMO. Logan Morrison is a draft eligible this year but looks pretty vanilla.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Any under the radar guys in the OHL? Guys expected to go in the mid to late rounds this year. I've been seeing a little bit less this year so I haven't really been paying as much attention to draft eligible guys over the past couple seasons.

Already drafted by Arizona, but Jan Jenik looks like a player. He's the guy stirring the drink in Hamilton, not Arthur Kaliyev IMO. Logan Morrison is a draft eligible this year but looks pretty vanilla.

The Bulldogs had quite the game today. Won 11-10 in OT haha. A rare game where Sudbury pulled their starter, but then the backup let in 3 goals on 5 shots, so they put the starter back in. Byfield had 3 points on the night for the Wolves.

Tyson Foerster is probably my favorite under the radar type guy in the OHL right now. 6'1'' 195lbs right-handed center(but he's playing RW right now). Not getting much hype despite leading Barrie in scoring and being only behind Byfield and Perfetti in points-per-game for OHL U18s with a big drop-off after them. Great hockey sense, hands and release. Quick, but only a decent straight line skater. Kind of reminds me of a less defensively advanced Barrett Hayton.

Tyler Tullio is another guy I'm a big fan of. I love the buzzsaw types the OHL seems to always produce. Smaller guy(5'10'' 166lbs), but great skater with a non-stop motor. Great shot too. A nightmare on the forecheck and surprisingly good along the boards for his size.

Reactions: belair

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Michael Benning has the highest points-per-game for an u18 defenseman in the AJHL since 1989 right now.

That includes Cale Makar, by the way.

(He's fourth in scoring on an insanely stacked team, but still haha.)

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Michael Benning has the highest points-per-game for an u18 defenseman in the AJHL since 1989 right now.

That includes Cale Makar, by the way.

(He's fourth in scoring on an insanely stacked team, but still haha.)
He’s a really good player I’d put good money on him making it to the NHL he’s a lot better than Matt was at the same age.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm a big Alexander Holtz fan, but I've noticed he's slipping a bit for whatever reason.

He's awesome every time I see him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pretty odd list. Dawson Mercer (who?) at 9? Justin Barron at 29? No Zion Nybeck?

I prefer Larry Fisher's rankings: https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-rankings-november-fisher/

They haven't had Nybeck on any of their 2020 lists so far. Not sure why. I think I asked Mark Edwards in one of the threads but got no response. Maybe they don't like his skating for a 5'8 guy. I personally have no issue with it though. He may not be an elite skater, but he's still very good and it shouldn't be a problem I don't think. His game is well-rounded enough that he doesn't need to rely on skating to score points.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Another interesting bit of that HP list is that they have Theodor Niederbach in the 1st round. He's a guy who was very hyped coming off his U16 season but then missed the entirety of 18/19 with an injury. He's basically gone straight from U16 to U20 hockey, skipping the standard U18 league in Sweden. He hasn't missed a beat and has 22 points in 21 games in SuperElit. Also had 5 points in 4 games at the recent international U18 tournament. If the Oilers draft in the 20's I wouldn't mind taking a swing at him. Right-handed natural center, very skilled.

Reactions: Aerrol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Pretty odd list. Dawson Mercer (who?) at 9? Justin Barron at 29? No Zion Nybeck?

I prefer Larry Fisher's rankings: https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-rankings-november-fisher/

Don't know much about Mercer, but his numbers always jump off the page when I look at this draft. Looks to be Drummondville's go-to guy along with Xavier Simoneau(who I definitely wouldn't mind throwing a 7th rounder at if it looks like he's going to go undrafted again). Don't think he's a top 10 pick with all the forward talent, but probably a safe bet for the mid 1st, I'd say.

Same for Holloway. Looks like a good prospect, but you're really rolling the dice if you take him over Holtz, Gunler, Lundell, Rossi, etc, IMO.

Jack Quinn is the weirdest one on there for me. I'd have him closer to undrafted than a 1st rounder, personally. Small, slow, non-factor without the puck, poor production on a stacked team as a late birthday. I just don't see much there.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Jack Quinn is the weirdest one on there for me. I'd have him closer to undrafted than a 1st rounder, personally. Small, slow, non-factor without the puck, poor production on a stacked team as a late birthday. I just don't see much there.
Maybe they think he'll be a mix of Jack and Quinn Hughes :sarcasm:

Reactions: B33K33PING

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Quinn might've done himself a favor this morning. Had a hell of a game against the Wolves and scored a nice goal where he didn't look all that slow. Apparently over 100 scouts and executives in the building considering it's Byfield vs Rossi.

That 67s team is pretty stacked. If have to think Keating is probably one of the first OAs off the board this year. Sean Josling of Sarnia probably goes first though.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
Talking with my friend about how good we'd be if we drafted him next year. What do you think? Him + the addition of a top 6 makes us instant contenders imo.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
In Germany there is a another talented player. Look at Tim Stützle
He plays for Adler Mannheim DEL

Looking like a good few years for Germany. They've got John-Jason Peterka and Lukas Reichel this year too.

I'm surprised Reichel isn't getting more hype. 13 points in 19 games in the DEL. Third on his team in scoring.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

...i think Jenik had a good wjc tourney or hlinka if i remember correctly....I just saw the Bulldogs vs Storm and came away thinking Jenik was one of the best on the ice along with Hillis and Gordeev

...and I decided to come back and hit this post up.

Reactions: belair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->