Prospect Info: The Nascent 2020 Draft Thread

The Oilers First Draft Pick in 2020 Will Be From Which League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Unless we are walking away from AA is there even room for more bodies? Backup goalie perhaps.

We need to sort out the existing bodies... Ennis, Neal, Chiasson, Kassian, Haas, Nygard, Sheahan, Khaira, Benson, McLeod, Archibald.

Pulju isn't fetching a forward that is a tier better than above.

A team with multiple 1sts and an interest in Pulju might pull the trigger. NYR? OTT?

I think the Oilers will want to recoup a 2nd round pick. If Puljujarvi gets us an early to mid 2nd with a guy the Oilers are targeting, I think they do that deal.

If I'm the Senators or Habs im listening on a trade for Puljujarvi. They have 4 and 3 second rounders respectively. They might want a warm body to help spread out their prospect pool.

I didn't think Lavoie, Kaliyev or Hoglander would be around with our pick last year. Who knows who will drop this year.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I am still hopeful that there could be some kind of deal for Puljujarvi with Carolina due to the Aho connection. Would love to see him get traded for Toronto's pick but its probably too high still (19ish) (Depending how far Toronto gets I guess). I think the Puljujarvi trade is just difficult. I just dont see the point of trading him for a second, unless its a high pick and theres a guy the team just loves on the board. I am not sure what JP's trade value is, but I just feel there has to be a bit of an overpay to make it worthwhile for Edmonton. Maybe I am just stubborn. After seeing Nylander get traded, I dont really see why we cant get a late first for JP.

Reactions: Aerchon

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I love Jarvis. I would 100% take him over a guy like Lundell. I dont get why he is rated so low. I guess he fails the eye test?

Jarvis had 98 points and 42 goals in just 58 games. That's insane. He has a 1.69 points per game ratio. He led his team in scoring and was good enough for 2nd in the entire WHL. He had 28 more points then anyone else on his team.

That's right up there with Draisaitl who had 1.64, RNH with 1.54 and Yamo with 1.52.

Some of us his game wont translate to the NHL level but man is this kid being underrated.

Also why are people calling Lundell a top 10 pick? He just doesnt have ANY offense from what I've seen.

I like Lundell. Not in the top 10, but for sure in the teens and later.

He just seems like a super smart no-nonsense type of player. He was pretty close to the best possession player in the Liiga and has had two seasons of pretty solid offensive production already. I wouldn't be surprised if he's excelling on an NHL third line within a couple years.

As much as a winger for McDavid is a priority, I'd have a tough time passing on an elite defensive #3C. Hell, he'd actually be a great fit on McDavid's wing too, IMO.

Reactions: B33K33PING

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
@McDNicks17

Thoughts on Antonio Stranges? He's one of the most polarizing and, ahem, strange players in the draft.

I'm not a huge fan of him and have always come across more impressed with Evangelista when I've watched the Knights, but his skillset and especially his skating is really enticing. I don't know if I've ever seen a player as proficient at the mohawk as Stranges, but I've only seen him use the mohawk to go clockwise, and I'm not sure how he is in the opposite direction. He's got a really nice shot as well.

Is he a player you'd look at with our 3rd?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I like Lundell. Not in the top 10, but for sure in the teens and later.

He just seems like a super smart no-nonsense type of player. He was pretty close to the best possession player in the Liiga and has had two seasons of pretty solid offensive production already. I wouldn't be surprised if he's excelling on an NHL third line within a couple years.

As much as a winger for McDavid is a priority, I'd have a tough time passing on an elite defensive #3C. Hell, he'd actually be a great fit on McDavid's wing too, IMO.

Yeah hes not the flashiest player but hes just a really solid player. I dont think I would use a top 15 pick on him either but after that I think hes a pretty solid pick (depending whos on the board, there are still guys I like better than him). I like swinging for upside in the draft but I think theres something to be said about solid, reliable players. I think some people end up underestimating these type of players. Ultimately I think it depends on the team and what the pick is. Another one I like is Mysak. I think both of these guys have skills that should transfer to the NHL. There are lots of guys in the NHL who put up a lot of points who dont have flashy skill sets (I am not necessarily saying that Lundell will but I think Mysak could).

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
@McDNicks17

Thoughts on Antonio Stranges? He's one of the most polarizing and, ahem, strange players in the draft.

I'm not a huge fan of him and have always come across more impressed with Evangelista when I've watched the Knights, but his skillset and especially his skating is really enticing. I don't know if I've ever seen a player as proficient at the mohawk as Stranges, but I've only seen him use the mohawk to go clockwise, and I'm not sure how he is in the opposite direction. He's got a really nice shot as well.

Is he a player you'd look at with our 3rd?

I'd have a tough time taking him before the 5th, I think.

The skating is fun to watch and he has a nasty backhand, but I don't think he'll ever have the hockey sense to use them.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
If Jake Sanderson slides and it's available at our pick at 20. Would you pick him or pick the best available forward still?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah hes not the flashiest player but hes just a really solid player. I dont think I would use a top 15 pick on him either but after that I think hes a pretty solid pick (depending whos on the board, there are still guys I like better than him). I like swinging for upside in the draft but I think theres something to be said about solid, reliable players. I think some people end up underestimating these type of players. Ultimately I think it depends on the team and what the pick is. Another one I like is Mysak. I think both of these guys have skills that should transfer to the NHL. There are lots of guys in the NHL who put up a lot of points who dont have flashy skill sets (I am not necessarily saying that Lundell will but I think Mysak could).
Yep, that's how I feel. I'm also not a fan of Lundell's skating so I'm not sure if he'll translate as seamlessly as everyone is suggesting.

I'd have a tough time taking him before the 5th, I think.

The skating is fun to watch and he has a nasty backhand, but I don't think he'll ever have the hockey sense to use them.
What about Evangelista? He's always been the more impressive player when I watch the Knights. I have him ranked in the mid-late 2nd and would love to pick him up if he falls to our 3rd.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What about Evangelista? He's always been the more impressive player when I watch the Knights. I have him ranked in the mid-late 2nd and would love to pick him up if he falls to our 3rd.

I'm a big Evangelista fan. He's another guy who has basically everything you want, but gets undervalued because he doesn't have elite straight line speed, IMO.

Smarts, skill, edgework, motor, polish, strength for his size.

He'd be a perfect pick with the 3rd.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'm a big Evangelista fan. He's another guy who has basically everything you want, but gets undervalued because he doesn't have elite straight line speed, IMO.

Smarts, skill, edgework, motor, polish, strength for his size.

He'd be a perfect pick with the 3rd.
I'm loving the OHL class this year in the 3rd round range. I think any of Evan Vierling, Luke Evangelista, Tyler Tullio, Brandon Coe, and Zayde Wisdom would be great picks for us.

With guys like Mysak, Perreault, and Foerster in the 1st round as well I would not be surprised to see us walk out with 2 OHLers as our first 2 picks.

Reactions: MessierII

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
So with the NHL announcing a potential training camp start date of July 10, and games starting at the soonest in early August that would put the earliest the draft would be held as mid-October I would imagine.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm loving the OHL class this year in the 3rd round range. I think any of Evan Vierling, Luke Evangelista, Tyler Tullio, Brandon Coe, and Zayde Wisdom would be great picks for us.

With guys like Mysak, Perreault, and Foerster in the 1st round as well I would not be surprised to see us walk out with 2 OHLers as our first 2 picks.

Yup. Love that group right around our 3rd. Maybe even a guy like Pytlik slips to there too.

There's a few guys around the 4th that I'd love too. I've been watching some more of Cameron Butler and I think he has real power forward potential with enough skill and skating to make it nowadays. Mitchell Smith is another one. There's probably no better home run swing than him if he makes it past the 3rd. First year OHLer and the youngest player in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the top pairing and scoring at a point-per-game next season in the OHL. Tons of potential.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So with the NHL announcing a potential training camp start date of July 10, and games starting at the soonest in early August that would put the earliest the draft would be held as mid-October I would imagine.
After qualifying round of the playoffs, we should see half of the draft take place

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
After qualifying round of the playoffs, we should see half of the draft take place

NHL GM's aren't too keen on losing the draft as a catalyst for making trades to adjust their roster. They wanted to see where their rosters need help after the playoffs so the NHL decided on having the draft after the Stanley Cup Final as per usual.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I keep flip flopping between Reichel and Peterka.

I really like how consistently productive Reichel has produced and how smart he is with the puck. But I like the trajectory and ability of Peterka. Peterka seems like he has the higher ceiling but Reichel is a safer bet.

I feel like one of these guys is going to to turn into a stud and I'm not entirely sure which one.

My brain says Reichel but my gut says Peterka.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020

I really like how consistently productive Reichel has produced and how smart he is with the puck. But I like the trajectory and ability of Peterka. Peterka seems like he has the higher ceiling but Reichel is a safer bet.

I feel like one of these guys is going to to turn into a stud and I'm not entirely sure which one.

Reichel all the way. Higher ceiling, higher floor, but I think you’ll have to wait longer with him than Peterka. Both are great prospects though.

Reactions: McCanovin

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

That's exactly how I feel about the two of them.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Benjamin Baumgartner is a name to keep an eye on. I don't see him ranked anywhere (except 80th by CS European Skaters) but he is a double overager with 27 points in 37 games playing against men in the NLA. To put that into perspective, Gaetan Haas had very similar production there last year at 27 years old.

He might be someone worth taking a look at in the 4th/5th.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Benjamin Baumgartner is a name to keep an eye on. I don't see him ranked anywhere (except 80th by CS European Skaters) but he is a double overager with 27 points in 37 games playing against men in the NLA. To put that into perspective, Gaetan Haas had very similar production there last year at 27 years old.

He might be someone worth taking a look at in the 4th/5th.

This is a draft where I wish we had a bunch of 5th/6th/7th rounders.

There's so many overagers that are worth gambling on, IMO. Gogolev, Sokolov, Xavier Simoneau, Oksentyuk, Robert Calisti, Bertuzzi, Alex Cotton, Dmitri Sheshin, etc.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
This is a draft where I wish we had a bunch of 5th/6th/7th rounders.

There's so many overagers that are worth gambling on, IMO. Gogolev, Sokolov, Xavier Simoneau, Oksentyuk, Robert Calisti, Bertuzzi, Alex Cotton, Dmitri Sheshin, etc.
I think you may receive at least part of your wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad