Prospect Info: The Nascent 2020 Draft Thread

The Oilers First Draft Pick in 2020 Will Be From Which League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
What does Foerster bring other than shoot really well? We have Maksimov and Lavoie. Both in the similar mole as Foerster. Neither hasn't crack the Oilers.

I rather have a guy who is more well rounded at 19th overall.
Well rounded , skilled players aren’t available at 19. They are taken far earlier in the draft, so if you’re choosing a ‘well rounded’ player at 19, he probably doesn’t do anything exceptionally well — he’s just good all around.

The type of player to target in the latter half of the first round is a player who’s coming on strong or a player who has one or two standout skills but has a deficiency somewhere that you hope he can improve on.

Reactions: MessierII

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Well rounded , skilled players aren’t available at 19. They are taken far earlier in the draft, so if you’re choosing a ‘well rounded’ player at 19, he probably doesn’t do anything exceptionally well — he’s just good all around.

The type of player to target in the latter half of the first round is a player who’s coming on strong or a player who has one or two standout skills but has a deficiency somewhere that you hope he can improve on.

I dont understand when it became a bad thing to have a well rounded game. Lots of "unflashy" players have played their way into the NHL and become solid contributors.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
They’re not the players you draft in the first round though.
That's not remotely true. Players with subtle no-nonsense games get taken every year in the first round and pan out very often.

An argument could even be made that Lafreniere does not possess any truly elite characteristics, and he's a lock to go 1st overall.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
That's not remotely true. Players with subtle no-nonsense games get taken every year in the first round and pan out very often.

An argument could even be made that Lafreniere does not possess any truly elite characteristics, and he's a lock to go 1st overall.
Wouldn’t that make everything elite, if nothing truly stands out but he’s the best player in his age group?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Wouldn’t that make everything elite, if nothing truly stands out but he’s the best player in his age group?
His overall package might be elite, but he arguably lacks any elite characteristics and is not always the flashiest player on the ice.

My point is that non-flashy players go in the 1st round all the time, and I'd usually take one over a flashy player that lacks substance.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
His overall package might be elite, but he arguably lacks any elite characteristics and is not always the flashiest player on the ice.

My point is that non-flashy players go in the 1st round all the time, and I'd usually take one over a flashy player that lacks substance.
I’m just curious if you have any examples in mind? I think of players like Yamamoto and Tarasenko who had some standout qualities but a couple deficiencies that they overcame.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I’m just curious if you have any examples in mind? I think of players like Yamamoto and Tarasenko who had some standout qualities but a couple deficiencies that they overcame.
Yamamoto and Tarasenko weren't guys that had flashes of greatness but lacked overall effectiveness. Players like Alex Nylander and Casey Mittelstadt are more what I'm talking about. This draft, no one that is ranked highly strikes me as a similar player, but Antonio Stranges (usually ranked somewhere in the 2nd) is someone who I think fits this profile nicely.

Some examples of effective players picked in the top-10 that don't have much flash to their game are Bo Horvat, Sean Monahan, Brayden Schenn, Brady Tkachuk, and Gabriel Landeskog. I think Connor Zary, who is likely to be picked in the teens this year, will become a similar player. Now, there are also guys that fit this mould that don't work out, like Lias Andersson. I suspect Anton Lundell has a high chance of a similar career trajectory.

You can't judge a player by his flashiness or discount a player because he plays a simple game.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Yamamoto and Tarasenko weren't guys that had flashes of greatness but lacked overall effectiveness. Players like Alex Nylander and Casey Mittelstadt are more what I'm talking about. This draft, no one that is ranked highly strikes me as a similar player, but Antonio Stranges (usually ranked somewhere in the 2nd) is someone who I think fits this profile nicely.

Some examples of effective players picked in the top-10 that don't have much flash to their game are Bo Horvat, Sean Monahan, Brayden Schenn, Brady Tkachuk, and Gabriel Landeskog. I think Connor Zary, who is likely to be picked in the teens this year, will become a similar player. Now, there are also guys that fit this mould that don't work out, like Lias Andersson. I suspect Anton Lundell has a high chance of a similar career trajectory.

You can't judge a player by his flashiness or discount a player because he plays a simple game.
Tarasenko had an elite shot, Yamamoto had an elite motor, Barzal had elite skills but was held back due to illness/injury. Those are the types of gives I’d advocate for vs a Lawson Crouse (drafted far too high) or Curtis Lazar who was a solid all around player without any standout skills.

I’m also talking late round picks, not early round picks. Guys with a solid all around game who are highly skilled will deservedly be picked high. Hell, I love those types of players but they’re all normally gone by the high teens-20s. Toews, Tkachuk, Landeskog, and Monahan are great examples of that.

I’m saying if you’re picking 25th, go for the guy with some standout skill and hope he develops the rest of his game.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Anton Lundell gives me vibes of Mikael Backlund and it's quite hard to find those Cs in the league, possession guys with great two-way games.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Tarasenko had an elite shot, Yamamoto had an elite motor, Barzal had elite skills but was held back due to illness/injury. Those are the types of gives I’d advocate for vs a Lawson Crouse (drafted far too high) or Curtis Lazar who was a solid all around player without any standout skills.

I’m also talking late round picks, not early round picks. Guys with a solid all around game who are highly skilled will deservedly be picked high. Hell, I love those types of players but they’re all normally gone by the high teens-20s. Toews, Tkachuk, Landeskog, and Monahan are great examples of that.

I’m saying if you’re picking 25th, go for the guy with some standout skill and hope he develops the rest of his game.
Just to make it clear, when I say "flashy players that lack substance" I'm referring to players that have flashes but don't have much of a positive impact on the game, not players with elite tools held back by injury or a poor defensive game.

Believe me, I like flash just as much as the next guy and I don't mind players with one elite characteristic that don't bring much else to the table. Tyson Foerster is a guy like that in this draft and I'm a big fan of him. All I'm saying is you can't judge a player by their level of flash. If that were the case, a scout's job would just be watching highlight videos.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Anton Lundell gives me vibes of Mikael Backlund and it's quite hard to find those Cs in the league, possession guys with great two-way games.
That's not a bad comparison, but I don't like Lundell's skating, creativity, and offensive upside. Not a bad player and certainly someone we should consider if he somehow falls to us, but I wouldn't even think of using a top-10 pick on him.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Just to make it clear, when I say "flashy players that lack substance" I'm referring to players that have flashes but don't have much of a positive impact on the game, not players with elite tools held back by injury or a poor defensive game.

Believe me, I like flash just as much as the next guy and I don't mind players with one elite characteristic that don't bring much else to the table. Tyson Foerster is a guy like that in this draft and I'm a big fan of him. All I'm saying is you can't judge a player by their level of flash. If that were the case, a scout's job would just be watching highlight videos.
Oh yeah, I’m not referring to flash when I say standout skills. I want a guy who has one of the best shots in the draft but maybe some skating issues. I want a guy who has unbelievable vision but might have trouble getting his motor going, I want a guy who can connect with a 130ft pass but might lose his check in the defensive end.

What I don’t want is a defenseman who plays it safe but doesn’t really have a standout skill. I don’t want a forward who doesn’t have any real flaws but doesn’t contribute much. You can sign those guys for dirt cheap, may as well try to draft the guys that never become available in the market.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Oh yeah, I’m not referring to flash when I say standout skills. I want a guy who has one of the best shots in the draft but maybe some skating issues. I want a guy who has unbelievable vision but might have trouble getting his motor going, I want a guy who can connect with a 130ft pass but might lose his check in the defensive end.

What I don’t want is a defenseman who plays it safe but doesn’t really have a standout skill. I don’t want a forward who doesn’t have any real flaws but doesn’t contribute much. You can sign those guys for dirt cheap, may as well try to draft the guys that never become available in the market.
I agree.

And to the bolded, I think Tyson Foerster fits your 1st description and Mavrik Bourque fits your 2nd.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Shouldn’t you be freaking out that there might be sports played?

Or is that only regarding the nhl

this is in September and October not right now

I have always said that they NHL should shut down the season and just start the next as normal

DO NOT LET WHAT I ACTUALLY POST CONFUSE WITH WHAT YOU THINK YOU HAVE READ

Comprehension on this board is very bad sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad