Prospect Info: The Nascent 2020 Draft Thread

The Oilers First Draft Pick in 2020 Will Be From Which League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
You just listed 30 defensemen. There's no way that many defensemen go in the first two rounds.

I'm not nearly as high on some of those defensemen as you have them. I wouldn't take guys like Mukhamadulin, Nishikin, or Kleven in the 2nd let alone the 1st. I will say that I think Ronan Seeley and Eamon Powell are better than a good chunk of defensemen you listed.

These are the defensemen I have ranked in the top-two rounds:

Jamie Drysdale (5)
Braden Schneider (18)
Jake Sanderson (19)
William Wallinder (22)
Kaiden Guhle (28)
Jeremie Poirier (30)
Justin Barron (33)
Helge Grans (34)
William Villeneauve (36)
Topi Niemela (38)
Ryan O'Rourke (40)
Lukas Cormier (45)
Emil Andrae (46)
Joni Jurmo (48)
Michael Benning (59)

15 defensemen in the first two rounds, plus a few that I debated putting in there. So yeah, I think it's pretty light on defensemen, and I don't think that's really an unpopular opinion. The consensus seems to be that it's a forward-heavy draft.

Anyway, what do you think of the goalies this draft? Anyone besides Askarov you think would be worth a shot? I'm intrigued by Commesso, Daws, Garand, Blomqvist, and Bednar, but I can't say I know much about them apart from stats and what I've read.

I just wanted to circle back to dmen in light of Craig Buttons breakdown. I think NHL teams value dmen very highly, even when it's a but of a reach. I mean look at Detroit taking Seider and Edmonton taking Broberg early. I think that teams prioritize dmen even if the draft isnt particularly strong for dmen.

Let's take a look at the number of dmen drafted in the 1st over the past few years.

2015 - 8 dmen
2016 - 9 dmen
2017 - 9 dmen
2018 - 14 dmen
2019 - 10 dmen

I would be surprised to see less than 9-10 dmen drafted in the first this year. So we will probably see something like:

Jamie Drysdale
Jake Sanderson
Braden Schneider
William Wallinder
Kaiden Guhle
Justin Barron
Helge Grans
Ryan O'Rourke
Emil Andrae
Jeremie Poirier

That definitely looks like a questionable group of 1st rounders.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I just wanted to circle back to dmen in light of Craig Buttons breakdown. I think NHL teams value dmen very highly, even when it's a but of a reach. I mean look at Detroit taking Seider and Edmonton taking Broberg early. I think that teams prioritize dmen even if the draft isnt particularly strong for dmen.

Let's take a look at the number of dmen drafted in the 1st over the past few years.

2015 - 8 dmen
2016 - 9 dmen
2017 - 9 dmen
2018 - 14 dmen
2019 - 10 dmen

I would be surprised to see less than 9-10 dmen drafted in the first this year. So we will probably see something like:

Jamie Drysdale
Jake Sanderson
Braden Schneider
William Wallinder
Kaiden Guhle
Justin Barron
Helge Grans
Ryan O'Rourke
Emil Andrae
Jeremie Poirier

Yeah I dont like this years Defenders much. Teams are still going to pick them. It really seems there is a lack of RD in particular. Theres not much.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

2015 - 8 dmen
2016 - 9 dmen
2017 - 9 dmen
2018 - 14 dmen
2019 - 10 dmen

Jamie Drysdale
Jake Sanderson
Braden Schneider
William Wallinder
Kaiden Guhle
Justin Barron
Helge Grans
Ryan O'Rourke
Emil Andrae
Jeremie Poirier

I agree. Villeneauve, Cormier, and Niemela could also be 1st rounders for sure. I don't doubt NHL teams will pick defensemen high this year, I just personally wouldn't.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I just can't get over Craig Button right now. He gave Byfield the same score as Guhle, which is 3 points behind Sanderson. Sanderson is 0.5 points behind Lafreniere.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I just can't get over Craig Button right now. He gave Byfield the same score as Guhle, which is 3 points behind Sanderson. Sanderson is 0.5 points behind Lafreniere.
Seems like an odd list of things to grade solely off of. There isn't a whole lot of room to differentiate elite from average.

I've watched Byfield and he's far from flawless at this point.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Seems like an odd list of things to grade solely off of. There isn't a whole lot of room to differentiate elite from average.

I've watched Byfield and he's far from flawless at this point.
Yeah, very odd methodology. "Competitiveness" is given equal weight to skating and hockey sense, and passing/playmaking and two-way ability aren't given any consideration. Ranking each skill out of 5 isn't exactly going to be a thorough analysis either.

I don't think Byfield is a slam-dunk pick at 2nd overall like most do, but Sanderson and Quinn ahead of him is very odd.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think with Byfield you are drafting him based on what he could turn into, not necessarily how good he is at this very moment. I wouldn't put too much into those scores.
I guess. I'll reserve further judgement until he releases his final list.

Then I'll tear him to shreds.

Reactions: McDoused

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Button's stylistic comparisons are the only things that are somewhat worth listening to. A decent amount of them are good and give a general idea about a player's style of play, although others are really weird/off the mark.

Button's rankings are total garbage though, so paying them any mind is a waste of time. The volatility/movement in his lists month to month especially is ridiculous.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think with Byfield you are drafting him based on what he could turn into, not necessarily how good he is at this very moment. I wouldn't put too much into those scores.

I kind of think his potential makes people actually underrate how good he is right now in some cases.

You never really hear people talk about the crazy numbers he put up this year.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Byfield is very good right now.

Yes he is. He is already an incredible talent. That's why I have him ranked 2nd above guys like Stutzle, Raymond, Rossi, etc.

I'm not trying to be down on Byfield, quite the opposite. I just see the potential and watch out if he continues his development at the rate he currently is. He is the only guy I look at and think "Yeah if everything goes well for him he could actually be better than Lafreniere".

1. Hes almost a year younger than AF.
2. Hes a center.
3. He has like 3 inches and 30lbs on AF.

Now I still think hes a step below right now but man hes that big center that every NHL team wants.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The OHL has been pumping out more videos on their channel. Open this over on Youtube for the playlist.

Zayde Wisdom, Evgeniy Oksentyuk, Rory Kerins, Donovan Sebrango, Jack Thompson, James Hardie, Antonio Stranges, Oliver Suni, Nick Malik, Ty Tullio, Jaromir Pytlik, Luke Evangelista, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad