OT: The Music Thread

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
It's been a while since high school when I was into speed metal ... but when I saw Babymetal a few years ago, I was like WTF. Those dudes can shred. The mix of a J Pop idol group and metal actually works. They got to play on center stage in Glastonbury this year. That's quite an accomplishment.

Their instrumental is insanely good. Really sad their OG guitarist died a few years ago. RIP

Im a little giddy these days because Im seeing Architects + While She Sleeps in just a couple days. I cant keep my mouth shut about it to anyone haha (evidently).

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Their instrumental is insanely good. Really sad their OG guitarist died a few years ago. RIP

Im a little giddy these days because Im seeing Architects + While She Sleeps in just a couple days. I cant keep my mouth shut about it to anyone haha (evidently).
Sad the guitarist died. I believe he fell off an elevated platform star gazing. Or at least that was the story.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Iron Maiden starts their US tour today. Seeing them in Indy at the end of August. Also have my eye on the Amon Amarth/Archenemy concert in Chicago in October. Its on a Monday though which sucks.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Iron Maiden starts their US tour today. Seeing them in Indy at the end of August. Also have my eye on the Amon Amarth/Archenemy concert in Chicago in October. Its on a Monday though which sucks.
Back in the day, I bought a lot of Iron Maiden buttons from Dog Ear Record.

I still love my old school Metallica. I still can't believe James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine were in a band together. One of my favorite all time tours was the Damage Inc tour. RIP Cliff Burton.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Have you seen Amon Amarth before? I've seen them twice, and they put on a great show!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's been a while since high school when I was into speed metal ... but when I saw Babymetal a few years ago, I was like WTF. Those dudes can shred. The mix of a J Pop idol group and metal actually works. They got to play on center stage in Glastonbury this year. That's quite an accomplishment.

Instrumentally they are very good, can't stand the singing though.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Back in the day, I bought a lot of Iron Maiden buttons from Dog Ear Record.

I still love my old school Metallica. I still can't believe James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine were in a band together. One of my favorite all time tours was the Damage Inc tour. RIP Cliff Burton.

Jealous. I would have loved to see them back in that era. Or the Justice era. Feel like, live, that was the probably the peak of their powers.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I have not had a chance. I'm pissed because the show in October is 21+ and my kids really want to go but can't
Aw man, that does suck. But at least you can leave them at home and still go. Lol definitely worth it. Plus Arch Enemy isn't bad either, I like their older stuff, haven't heard much of the newer stuff with the new girl.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I also am hitting up Maiden but when they hit PHX is September. The Saturday before we are attending Eric Clapton. Which is probably my last chance to see him and I am pretty excited about catching him finally.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Krivo25

Jan 8, 2016
brown paper bag in a septic tank
I'm listening to Plague Vendors, L7 , ghostmane , the front bottoms Luckie(chi rapper)
go to bands would be Rush Lush Sonic Youth Zep Big Audio Dynamite and John Lee Hooker(man I love him)

Last edited:

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Genres I listen to: I listen to a wide variety of genres from indie rock, to alternative/grime rap, to black metal.

Favorite genre: Dream pop and shoegaze

Five favorite artists/bands/groups: Difficult to pick five but the artists I enjoy/listen to most frequently are The Smashing Pumpkins, Passion Pit, Mastodon, Arcade Fire, and Soundgarden.

Favorite song: 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins. Gets me nostalgic every time.

Favorite song to get pumped up to: "You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, But I Feel Like a Millionaire" by Queens of the Stone Age

Best concert to see: For theatrics: Muse. For performance/sound: Arcade Fire. For playing my favorites: The Mars Volta

Genres I despise: Really cannot stand what has happened to country music over the last few decades. Some really goods ones still out there, though: (Drive-By Truckers, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Caitlin Rose, John Moreland, Colter Wall, etc.)

Arists/bands/groups I despise: Nickelback, Luke Bryan, 3 Doors Down, Godsmack. Pretty much boring cliche rock and country. Not big on pop but don't really hate it.

Songs I despise: Anything from the above artists.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
1. Rock:
- 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's (mostly 70's & 80's)
- prog rock is my absolute favorite genre
- good second comes heavy metal & hard rock from the 60's 70's and, 80's
- i listen to all rock sub genres except speed / trash metal and all of related to those two
not into angry (lots of screaming) negative music, there are few exceptions when it comes to screaming in
rock music, its OK in types of SOAD and Linkin Park of music but, neither of those are speed nor trash metal,
few Metallica songs that like as well

Favorite Rock Bands: 1. KANSAS 2. Triumph 3. GnR

2. Blues:
- everything is good when it comes to blues
- 2 favorites: Muddy Waters & BB King

3. Jazz/Neo Jazz
4. Swing/Neo Swing
5. Bebob
6. Reggae
7. Pop (60's,70's,80's,90's)
8. Rap/Hip Hop/RnB (no modern)
9. Classical Music
10 Country
11. Electric/Techno/Euro Dance etc. etc. (no modern)
12 Folk Music

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad