OT: The Music Thread

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Never been to Red Rocks - should add seeing a concert at Red Rocks to my bucket list.
Yep ... me too along with Glastonbury.

However, when I see Red Rocks, I think of this iconic performance. This is peak U2 ... even better than Joshua Tree.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Never been to Red Rocks - should add seeing a concert at Red Rocks to my bucket list.

It's a fantastic venue but to a degree it's overrated.

It is likely the most unique venue in the world in that finding that kind of formation, in which the seating area doesn't have to be blasted out is unmatched. On a clear night you can see the Denver city lights, if your seats aren't "too good" (below row 25 or so). It also has an unparalleled concert calendar for a venue of that size. Nothing really comes close.

After a couple of visits the mystique wears off and things like sound, time commitment, and access start to take some of the luster off. For all of the "natural acoustic" pub the sound can be hit or miss as far as loudness is concerned. It was perfect for Tame Impala and Anderson Paak (the best sounding show I've seen there), but not loud enough for Paul Simon even though I was in the 17th row (there are roughly 62 rows there). Since the rows elevate steeply compared to other amps (which is unique) the sound difference is drastic from low to high rows. What really sucks though is the time commitment when going to a show. If it's your first time or the main reason for your trip it may not matter, but it's often a 7-8 hour ordeal to get to the venue, park, tailgate (optional), get up to the gates, see the show, get out of the lot, and get home. I go to 80-100 shows a year (based in KC), travel for 10-20 per year, and loathe spending all of that time JUST to get in and out of a concert.

Red Rocks is easily one of the best venues in the world, with the scenery and concert calendar being tough to rival. With that said, some make it out to be leaps an bounds better than every other venue (as a venue) and that's what I don't agree with. The Gorge and Kettle House Amph (Montana) also have amazing views, Starlight Amph has way better sound (and isn't a pain in the ass to get in and out of), etc.

If you like concerts it's definitely a place you have to go to. Once you've gone enough times however, it's the calendar that draws me more than anything else (saw Florence and the Machine in the f***ing snow, A Paak, Stevie Wonder, and Fogerty this year).

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I love Tash, she’s amazing. Should be seeing her in a couple weeks at red rocks

I hope she was better than she was in October.

Saw her at the Midland in KC, a venue that usually has excellent sound. For reasons I have yet to understand, the bass was turned to 15 on a 10 scale. Not only was it overbearing, but Tash's songs aren't naturally mixed overly heavy on the bass. It literally f***ed up every song she played and after about 45 minutes of enduring the bass me and my GF left.

Just to clarify I'm not averse to bass but good lord it was terrible. If you are traveling for that I hope it's much better than I experienced.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
I hope she was better than she was in October.

Saw her at the Midland in KC, a venue that usually has excellent sound. For reasons I have yet to understand, the bass was turned to 15 on a 10 scale. Not only was it overbearing, but Tash's songs aren't naturally mixed overly heavy on the bass. It literally ****ed up every song she played and after about 45 minutes of enduring the bass me and my GF left.

Just to clarify I'm not averse to bass but good lord it was terrible. If you are traveling for that I hope it's much better than I experienced.

Ooo yeah that sounds brootal, she has some bass in the mix but definitely should not be anywhere near that heavy. Maybe the usual sound guy had the night off and they got a fill in that sucked... I’d assume she has her own sound guy though at this point but not sure. I am a fan of “bass music” but I have a feeling my gf and I woulda had to make an early exit for the same reasons.

Fortunately we live in Denver so red rocks is just a short ride away for us now.

Also my names Zac and I spell it Zac as well, so how about that for a coinkydink. Not many of us Z-a-c ers

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Ooo yeah that sounds brootal, she has some bass in the mix but definitely should not be anywhere near that heavy. Maybe the usual sound guy had the night off and they got a fill in that sucked... I’d assume she has her own sound guy though at this point but not sure. I am a fan of “bass music” but I have a feeling my gf and I woulda had to make an early exit for the same reasons.

Fortunately we live in Denver so red rocks is just a short ride away for us now.

Also my names Zac and I spell it Zac as well, so how about that for a coinkydink. Not many of us Z-a-c ers

I didn't meet any until I was in college. Now there is Zac Brown Band and Efron giving us pub. When I was growing up (38 now) I was the only person I knew who spelled it that way.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
I didn't meet any until I was in college. Now there is Zac Brown Band and Efron giving us pub. When I was growing up (38 now) I was the only person I knew who spelled it that way.
Definitely see it around more but still not as much as the other two. The Zaks are the new unicorns thought.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Few days ago i found the 2cellos youtube channel, anyone else know them?
They are pretty cool, pretty cool music. Amazing what two people can do with just playing cellos.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Yep ... me too along with Glastonbury.

However, when I see Red Rocks, I think of this iconic performance. This is peak U2 ... even better than Joshua Tree.

Hmmmm. I saw em on this tour (I am an old guy I guess). They were excellent with Bono hanging from lights and stuff. But the ZooTv tour was peak U2.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Few days ago i found the 2cellos youtube channel, anyone else know them?
They are pretty cool, pretty cool music. Amazing what two people can do with just playing cellos.

The 2cellos are great. Cello is my favorite instrument - it's like a tuning fork for humans - reaches inside you like no other instrument - at least for me.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Hmmmm. I saw em on this tour (I am an old guy I guess). They were excellent with Bono hanging from lights and stuff. But the ZooTv tour was peak U2.

The two best U2 albums are War and Achtung Baby. War was the perfect combination of energy, rock, and edge and was great from start to finish. Achtung Baby was likely their peak in terms of creativity and production. If I had to pick one I don't know if I could. Proabably my favorite U2 songs are Two Hearts Beat as One (love how frantic it sounds), Surrender, Zoo Station, and Mysterious ways. While I was too young to see that tour, I did catch them 8 years ago when they did the 20 year anniversary tour of Achtung Baby where they played 5 or so songs from it (no Zoo Station though).

I keep hoping they'll do a tour where they play War in it's entirety. I would definitely be there for that.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The two best U2 albums are War and Achtung Baby. War was the perfect combination of energy, rock, and edge and was great from start to finish. Achtung Baby was likely their peak in terms of creativity and production. If I had to pick one I don't know if I could. Proabably my favorite U2 songs are Two Hearts Beat as One (love how frantic it sounds), Surrender, Zoo Station, and Mysterious ways. While I was too young to see that tour, I did catch them 8 years ago when they did the 20 year anniversary tour of Achtung Baby where they played 5 or so songs from it (no Zoo Station though).

I keep hoping they'll do a tour where they play War in it's entirety. I would definitely be there for that.
I grew up with War and Joshua Tree. For me, those two albums will never be topped.

To be honest, Joshua Tree was the line they went from being semi mysterious to full blown rock stars. Don't get me wrong, their later albums were good, but it was never the same after Bono went full sunglasses.

Reactions: Race Bannon

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015

On War, Seconds is my favorite. I just love that song. And JT is where it just blew up for them. When you would go to the show it was like the Beatles. You could barely hear them play! It was off the hook. Saw them in an arena (Carver Hawkeye) and stadium that tour. Arena was quite a bit better. JT....it has been played enough and no doubt it is one of their 3 best. But AB was such a different turn music wise. There is not one bad song on there. And the ZooTV tour was absolutely epic. When in Berlin I went to the Zoologischer train station and Hansaton recorded the album it meant that much to me. At first I was not a big fan of it because it was so different but I can listen to it now and it holds up better that JT to my ear. And those songs are better in concert than JT except for Streets.

For me AB, War, JT. And I don't think young people understand exactly how huge they were at their peak. They were ginormously popular and critically acclaimed. Nothing today even comes within 25% of how huge they were. McGuinness sure knew how to promote them.

Reactions: zac

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I grew up with War and Joshua Tree. For me, those two albums will never be topped.

To be honest, Joshua Tree was the line they went from being semi mysterious to full blown rock stars. Don't get me wrong, their later albums were good, but it was never the same after Bono went full sunglasses.

I've never understood the love and hype for Joshua Tree. Good album? Absolutely. But for me it's a little too bland, with Bullet the Blue Sky being the only song I consistently play. It doesn't help that I can't stand with or without you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad