OT: The Music Thread

zac

Apr 29, 2009
On War, Seconds is my favorite. I just love that song. And JT is where it just blew up for them. When you would go to the show it was like the Beatles. You could barely hear them play! It was off the hook. Saw them in an arena (Carver Hawkeye) and stadium that tour. Arena was quite a bit better. JT....it has been played enough and no doubt it is one of their 3 best. But AB was such a different turn music wise. There is not one bad song on there. And the ZooTV tour was absolutely epic. When in Berlin I went to the Zoologischer train station and Hansaton recorded the album it meant that much to me. At first I was not a big fan of it because it was so different but I can listen to it now and it holds up better that JT to my ear. And those songs are better in concert than JT except for Streets.

For me AB, War, JT. And I don't think young people understand exactly how huge they were at their peak. They were ginormously popular and critically acclaimed. Nothing today even comes within 25% of how huge they were. McGuinness sure knew how to promote them.

Great post and I can agree with about all of it. I'm too young to have seen those tours (regrettably) and have seen them twice, once at Busch (hottest f***ing show ever....field temps were 135-140 before the sun angle got low enough and they gave out free water to those on the field to combat heat related illness) and the other at Arrowhead. Joshua Tree played much better live than I anticipated and Beck opened with about 70% of a full set so it was a great night of tunes.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
BTW I'm flying up from KC to see Meute at the Bottom Lounge on 10/15. If you aren't familiar I would highly recommend checking them out as it's something one should see live. I'm not sure how they will fit all of this awesomeness in a small venue. Can't wait.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
The two best U2 albums are War and Achtung Baby. War was the perfect combination of energy, rock, and edge and was great from start to finish. Achtung Baby was likely their peak in terms of creativity and production. If I had to pick one I don't know if I could. Proabably my favorite U2 songs are Two Hearts Beat as One (love how frantic it sounds), Surrender, Zoo Station, and Mysterious ways. While I was too young to see that tour, I did catch them 8 years ago when they did the 20 year anniversary tour of Achtung Baby where they played 5 or so songs from it (no Zoo Station though).

I keep hoping they'll do a tour where they play War in it's entirety. I would definitely be there for that.

I grew up with War and Joshua Tree. For me, those two albums will never be topped.

To be honest, Joshua Tree was the line they went from being semi mysterious to full blown rock stars. Don't get me wrong, their later albums were good, but it was never the same after Bono went full sunglasses.

I'd rank 'em like this:

1. The Joshua Tree
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. War

4. October
5. Rattle and Hum
6. Boy
7. Achtung Baby
On War, Seconds is my favorite. I just love that song. And JT is where it just blew up for them. When you would go to the show it was like the Beatles. You could barely hear them play! It was off the hook. Saw them in an arena (Carver Hawkeye) and stadium that tour. Arena was quite a bit better. JT....it has been played enough and no doubt it is one of their 3 best. But AB was such a different turn music wise. There is not one bad song on there. And the ZooTV tour was absolutely epic. When in Berlin I went to the Zoologischer train station and Hansaton recorded the album it meant that much to me. At first I was not a big fan of it because it was so different but I can listen to it now and it holds up better that JT to my ear. And those songs are better in concert than JT except for Streets.

For me AB, War, JT. And I don't think young people understand exactly how huge they were at their peak. They were ginormously popular and critically acclaimed. Nothing today even comes within 25% of how huge they were. McGuinness sure knew how to promote them.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
I've never understood the love and hype for Joshua Tree. Good album? Absolutely. But for me it's a little too bland, with Bullet the Blue Sky being the only song I consistently play. It doesn't help that I can't stand with or without you.

Love Joshua Tree. Agree with you on Bullet the Blue Sky and With or Without You.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Hit Eric Clapton Saturday night. Good show. EC does his thing and plays 15 songs or so. Has since the 70s. But what a guitar player!

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
BTW I'm flying up from KC to see Meute at the Bottom Lounge on 10/15. If you aren't familiar I would highly recommend checking them out as it's something one should see live. I'm not sure how they will fit all of this awesomeness in a small venue. Can't wait.

Love that venue, plus its always nice being able to get a drink for a reasonable price at a venue.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Love that venue, plus its always nice being able to get a drink for a reasonable price at a venue.

That's good to know.

This will be my third show in Chicago. I saw L'Imperatrice at Lincoln Hall (awesome venue) and The The at the Riv last year (shitty venue). I've seen good things about the the venue and hoping it's even half as good as Lincoln Hall (probably a top 5 venue in the country that I've been to).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Going to Post Malone in Tampa soon.
Who else? I would diss Post Malone but he don’t even rap/f*** it, f*** Post Malone, just because, let’s see if he answers back/All that change, tits, and funk chill bill, and the cowboy boots and hats/Damn Posty, why can’t we be friends? Our clothes already match/Poser, biter, appropriation thief, give a f*** how many records you sold/Every fan you made is a leaf off of my tree/Boy you’re my seed, another mullet in the gang with the teeth I see/I just picked a bone with Post Malone and did it all on a Beastside beat”

All I know about Post malone is via Yelawolf!

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
When do you start with the Air Force? or did you pass on that?
I am still going, but I just pushed my OTS date back a year to hangout with my family and finish some stuff I won't be able to after I get in. Like finish every baseball stadium with my dad and stuff.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He also has Parkinsons and even though I will have some time off between when I go in and when flight school ends, its still restrictive and you don't have a ton of time off. & thats about a 2 year period.

I remember you mentioning that. Time with family is important.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Radiohead unequivocally is the best band of the past twenty years.

tenor.gif

Reactions: AmericanDream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->