OT: The Music Thread

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
If you're into the epic, anthemic 'theme' metal, Sabaton's new record is very good. The Last Stand (title track) is a great song.

But I'm still lamenting the direction that Opeth took. I loved their mix of prog with the delicate stuff and the brutal stuff. The new record is all annoying prog. Bummer.

And for prog/metal guys, check out Ayreon. Concept records featuring the main guy (Arjen Lucassen) and a ton of guest vocalists effectively playing characters. For me, The Human Equation and 01011001 are his best records.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If you're into the epic, anthemic 'theme' metal, Sabaton's new record is very good. The Last Stand (title track) is a great song.

But I'm still lamenting the direction that Opeth took. I loved their mix of prog with the delicate stuff and the brutal stuff. The new record is all annoying prog. Bummer.

And for prog/metal guys, check out Ayreon. Concept records featuring the main guy (Arjen Lucassen) and a ton of guest vocalists effectively playing characters. For me, The Human Equation and 01011001 are his best records.

not bad...

what got me angry the group kamelot, when Roy Khan left, their music has change. maybe it is me.

kamelot with simone simons great song. btw, she is hot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lecZ8UnsjLs

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I will have to look into Ayreon again sometime. I listened to one of their tunes back in the day, it wasn't bad (The Castle Hall), but it was still pretty weird for me.

Opeth has always been meh to me, saw them live a few times and each time I almost fell asleep, only to be awoken by some awesome music, and then lulled back to sleep again on the same song.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014

I love Sabaton and Opeth both. Prog isn't exactly bad though, but Opeth going prog bothers me a bit.

Also, what does Ayreon sound like?

zac

Apr 29, 2009
New Spoon single is out and it has a definite Cure vibe. Still amazing and I can't wait for the new album to be released.

In other news Governor's Ball lineup is the best of the festival announcements, IMO. Phoenix, Gambino, and a bunch of other good undercards like Roosevelt (who is awesome). If my buddy takes the job out there I am going for sure.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Nice, would love to hit up that show. If only I didn't have 2 kids and no money. Ghost is awesome, and Maiden is Maiden.

Haha. A buddy grabbed us tickets as he's a huge Maiden fan. Told me don't worry about paying him till the show. So I have like 5 months to come up with the $120. Only way I'd be going. I'm the same way. Two kids and no money. I figure if I can dump 20 bills a month or so into a jar, I'm good to go by June. :laugh:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Haha. A buddy grabbed us tickets as he's a huge Maiden fan. Told me don't worry about paying him till the show. So I have like 5 months to come up with the $120. Only way I'd be going. I'm the same way. Two kids and no money. I figure if I can dump 20 bills a month or so into a jar, I'm good to go by June. :laugh:

Lucky, there is probably no way that the show isn't sold out by the time I can afford it, and I have no friends like your friend. :(

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
I love Sabaton and Opeth both. Prog isn't exactly bad though, but Opeth going prog bothers me a bit.

Also, what does Ayreon sound like?

Ayreon is prog rock/metal with theatrical spin. Stylistically, it is pretty broad and hard to pick a representative song. If you have 13 minutes, this is the song he just released from the upcoming album.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
not bad...

what got me angry the group kamelot, when Roy Khan left, their music has change. maybe it is me.

kamelot with simone simons great song. btw, she is hot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lecZ8UnsjLs

She's always up there with the 'babes of metal'. Of course, the Tarja woman that was in Nightwish and of course the gold standard, Christina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil.

And those guitar players from The Iron Maidens!

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Is that with Ghost?

I saw Ghost BC in Cleveland last year while traveling on business. I've loved that band since their first record. That said, their live show novelty wears off after while. Papa just kinda stands there and does the arms thing and his voice just isn't that strong in a live setting.

But a good Ghost reference - I do the music at my kids' home games. Everyone has their go to techno, face off, stoppage, etc songs. I like using metal bits of metal riffs (in addition the obligatory techno stuff) for faceoffs/etc. The usual suspects - Crazy Train, Walk (Pantera) and pretty much every Metallica song (Bell Tolls, Fuel, Battery, Motorbreath) or Rage song.

I prefer metal riffs that people may or may not know. 'Mummy Dust' by Ghost BC is one of my go to face off riffs, as well as:

- Redeemer Of Souls, Electric Eye, The Hellion - Judas Priest
- Indians - Anthrax
- War Ensemble - Slayer
- Love Bites - Halestorm
- Dance of The Dead - Corrosion of Conformity
- Blood and Thunder - Mastodon
- Gimme Chocolate - Baby Metal
- Shake Your Blood - Probot
- Ace of Spades - Motorhead
- Adrenalize - In This Moment
- Holy Wars - Megadeth
- Mouth for War - Pantera
- Mob Rules - Sabbath
- Wasted Years, The Trooper - Maiden

One of these games, I'd love to play the unedited version of 'Payback' by Slayer - think anyone will object? :)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I saw Ghost BC in Cleveland last year while traveling on business. I've loved that band since their first record. That said, their live show novelty wears off after while. Papa just kinda stands there and does the arms thing and his voice just isn't that strong in a live setting.

But a good Ghost reference - I do the music at my kids' home games. Everyone has their go to techno, face off, stoppage, etc songs. I like using metal bits of metal riffs (in addition the obligatory techno stuff) for faceoffs/etc. The usual suspects - Crazy Train, Walk (Pantera) and pretty much every Metallica song (Bell Tolls, Fuel, Battery, Motorbreath) or Rage song.

I prefer metal riffs that people may or may not know. 'Mummy Dust' by Ghost BC is one of my go to face off riffs, as well as:

- Redeemer Of Souls, Electric Eye, The Hellion - Judas Priest
- Indians - Anthrax
- War Ensemble - Slayer
- Love Bites - Halestorm
- Dance of The Dead - Corrosion of Conformity
- Blood and Thunder - Mastodon
- Gimme Chocolate - Baby Metal
- Shake Your Blood - Probot
- Ace of Spades - Motorhead
- Adrenalize - In This Moment
- Holy Wars - Megadeth
- Mouth for War - Pantera
- Mob Rules - Sabbath
- Wasted Years, The Trooper - Maiden

One of these games, I'd love to play the unedited version of 'Payback' by Slayer - think anyone will object? :)
It's been a while since high school when I was into speed metal ... but when I saw Babymetal a few years ago, I was like WTF. Those dudes can shred. The mix of a J Pop idol group and metal actually works. They got to play on center stage in Glastonbury this year. That's quite an accomplishment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad