The most underrated players in the NHL

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
After it took Kris Russell so long to sign with a team, and considering his performance so far with Edmonton, he's has to be on the list of one of the most underrated. At this rate 3.1mil is a massive bargain for the Oilers. Wherever he signs next year he'll probably get his 5mil he was asking for.

paragon

May 5, 2010
From my team:

Kadri and Gardiner are by far the most underrated Leafs. Two very, very good players.

League-wide:

Spurgeon, Klefbom, Steve Mason, Goligoksi, Braun, Demers, Ekholm, Justin Williams, Zuccarello, Sam Reinhart, Perreault, Cammalleri, Tatar, Forsberg, Backlund, Voracek, and quite a few more that I just can't remember right now.
Good list.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Gallagher is a top RW'er in the NHL and people still don't give him much credit, my homer vote goes to him.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
GA and possession are in Letang's favor last season.

Also the fact Letang barely ever gets beat one on one no matter who he's up against. Karlsson could fill a youtube video of him getting walked.

You can say your team's worse and he has no supporting cast.

I can come back and say Letang anchored a D unit full of developing talent and players dumped from their former teams to a Stanley Cup.

Keith had Hjalmarsson and Seabrook past years. Doughty had Muzzin and Voynov.

Thats very misleading. Muzzin was only there in 2014, and was not nearly as good as he is now. Voynov was a rookie in 2012, I believe. Its not like Doughty had much more support than Letang, especially considering the large superiority of Pittsburgh in terms of forward depth.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
GA and possession are in Letang's favor last season.

Also the fact Letang barely ever gets beat one on one no matter who he's up against. Karlsson could fill a youtube video of him getting walked.

You can say your team's worse and he has no supporting cast.

I can come back and say Letang anchored a D unit full of developing talent and players dumped from their former teams to a Stanley Cup.

Keith had Hjalmarsson and Seabrook past years. Doughty had Muzzin and Voynov.

ok, you are changing your argument. At first it was "at his best", now it seems like you are arguing that he is just flat out better at defence

first off, your subjective statement about never getting beat one-on-one means nothing, as you have provided 0 evidence of that.

now, on to possession. How are you measuring it, corsi? Letang, by that metric, is basically on the same level as Daley, Karl dusts every single sens defender. Letang also did not supress shots, karl did, in fact he was top 10, in terms of relative.

they also aren't on the same level offensively, so lets just get that out of the way. P/60 at 5v5 isn't close, this year, last 2 years, last 3 years...now imagine if karl got to take regular shifts with 87/71. The only dmen who is even close to karl offensively is brent burns.

also, if you wanna talk "at there best", karl has just went back-to-back best-on-best tourneys without allowing a goal against, winning the best dmen at the one of the events ( cant find the all star team for wcoh, I bet ek is on it though)...where was letang at in those tournaments?

now, on to ga...so many factors can alter SV%, a player being able have an impact on SV% is basically a coin flip, you comfortable betting on a 50/50? I'm not.
There SCA (scoring chances against) is basically the same, karl a bit higher raw letang a bit higher relative.

In conclusion, karl supress shots better, gives up the same quality of shots, and produces much more in the minutes he plays, on a worse team, he keeps up a higher rate while playing more minutes ( more you play the harder it is to keep pace ) .... so yeah letang isn't better at his best, or really at any somewhat defined times.

I actually really like letang, he would probably make my TC, but he isn't better than karl, not even at his best. Letang isn't even the second best dman in the east.

Last edited:

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Bergeron is a world class player but never gets that respect.
Mike Green seems to have renaissance-season but is treated like an old bum.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
So he's far from a star, but I feel like Pitlick deserves credit. He had pretty much been written off by even our fanbase who's best case scenario this season would be 13/14th forward and that was mostly so that our prospects could get more time in the AHL. But he's put up 3 goals in 5 games and been an all round solid player that may see some more minutes if he keeps it up.

Russell has been absolutely solid for us on both ends.

Larsson isn't exactly a surprise but he's made the Hall trade seem better.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
On hfboards, since the trade, it’s easily Weber: the guy is a beast.

H.M.: Pageau, Petry, Wheeler

Jakob Chychrun just started his career so I can’t label him as underrated but watching him play last night sure was an eye-opener.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
1. Brent Burns
2. Joe Thornton
3. Joe Pavelski
4. Logan Couture
5. Joonas Donskoi
6. ME Vlasic
7. Justin Braun
8. Martin Jones
9. Tomas Hertl
10. Michael Haley

To name a few... :naughty:

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Brendan Gallagher and Bryan Little come to mind.

Homer Finn award goes to Jussi Jokinen. The guy is a very consistent 0.6+ PPG player but almost never gets mentioned in the slightest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad