The Milbury Trophy: Worst Executive of the Year

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This thread is begging for a poll

Pierre Dorion gets my vote. Others have cases but what he's done in a year for Ottawa is abysmal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Until recently Garth Snow would have been an obvious choice (as usual) but the recent crap coming out of Ottawa, pretty much ensure their entire organization should win it

Which executive is responsible for players' girlfriends? :laugh:

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
HM Benning for giving Mike Del Zotto and Sam Gagner term. Like wtf.
It's a two year deal for del zotto and three for Gagner. Was clear from the signings that the Canucks weren't going anywhere for a couple years so they had to get players. We dont know what went on between the 25th and 1st last year, maybe they were the best players willing to even come here. And it's not like the money even matters, they're not spending to the cap so

Would you rather have them sign for a couple/three years during a rebuild or deal with more Chaput/Megna/Weircioch? Because the Canucks would have been embarrassed a lot more often with those three instead. Again because who knows if Benning could have got anyone else

I'm not a Benning apologist but I see the need to sign these types for a couple years. It's not like they got 5+ years.

Also,not sure I would have Dorion on the list. Yea Duchene deal was pretty bad, but who knows how the team would have performed if the entire franchise didn't implode around him. I don't think he should be at fault for this team being in such chaos.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
It's a two year deal for del zotto and three for Gagner. Was clear from the signings that the Canucks weren't going anywhere for a couple years so they had to get players. We dont know what went on between the 25th and 1st last year, maybe they were the best players willing to even come here. And it's not like the money even matters, they're not spending to the cap so

Would you rather have them sign for a couple/three years during a rebuild or deal with more Chaput/Megna/Weircioch? Because the Canucks would have been embarrassed a lot more often with those three instead. Again because who knows if Benning could have got anyone else

I'm not a Benning apologist but I see the need to sign these types for a couple years. It's not like they got 5+ years.

Also,not sure I would have Dorion on the list. Yea Duchene deal was pretty bad, but who knows how the team would have performed if the entire franchise didn't implode around him. I don't think he should be at fault for this team being in such chaos.
When you (Dorion) re-sign for 3 years, speak of high fives about trades, have the smallest front office in the league and let all this fester in your club you are to blame. Him and ownership are steering the ship and setting the culture, he’s literally the definition of the captain of the titanic, this ship is unsinkable he says. A good gm or executive walks away.

I’ll just leave this here to show what he’s presided over:
Ottawa Senators timeline of dysfunction in 2017-18
This doesn’t even list the execs that have quit or been fired over the past years. Dorion and Melnyk win this by a landslide, us sens fans at this point would accept trading away all of EK, Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, etc if it meant a change in ownership and front office. You know it’s bad when you’d sacrifice guys like that for a reprieve.

Article leaves out phaneuf for gaborik, paying Vegas to retain on brassard, letting EK’s partner methot go in expansion and I’m sure I’m missing something

Last edited:

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
When you re-sign for 3 years, speak of high fives about trades, have the smallest front office in the league and let all this fester in your club you are to blame. Him and ownership are steering the ship and setting the culture, he’s literally the definition of the captain of the titanic, this ship is unsinkable he says. A good gm or executive walks away.

This doesn’t even list the execs that have quit or been fired over the past years. Dorion and Melnyk win this by a landslide, us sens fans at this point would accept trading away all of EK, Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, etc if it meant a change in ownership and front office. You know it’s bad when you’d sacrifice guys like that for a reprieve
And how many of those issues written there were as a result of Dorion? Most of what goes on there seems to be as a result of Melnyk and maybe a couple on Dorion. Most egregious thing about Dorion that I see is that he should have got rid of Hoffman as soon as these issues became known, especially if they were known to go back as far as November (coinciding with their huge slump)

I can't recall back, but what we're Sens fans thinking of Dorion exactly one year ago?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
And how many of those issues written there were as a result of Dorion? Most of what goes on there seems to be as a result of Melnyk and maybe a couple on Dorion. Most egregious thing about Dorion that I see is that he should have got rid of Hoffman as soon as these issues became known, especially if they were known to go back as far as November (coinciding with their huge slump)

I can't recall back, but what we're Sens fans thinking of Dorion exactly one year ago?
Always hated him, he was thrust in to the role cause he didn’t cost much. He has lost every trade he’s made and his signings are awful too. As mentioned, a good exec walks away by he’s not that. Is it the owner or the GM who is responsible for dysfunction? If the owner won’t allow the GM to do his job any GM worth their salt walks away not signs up for 3 more years. Waiting to see what comes out of the Randy Lee situation, Melnyk personally rushes to lawyer him up with a top notch celebrity guy then waited 2 weeks to suspend him, have to wonder if their aren’t skeletons in the closet

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
A rise up the standings from bottom feeder to bubble team is definitely not noteworthy enough to make anyone forget that Dale Tallon traded away 2/3rds of the top line of the Stanley Cup runnerups :laugh:
Stanley Cup runner ups for Vegas. Were they going to the SC with Panthers? Were they both even on the top line with Panthers? "bottom feeder to bubble team", that's right, what the hell else are we here for? If the team got 2 more points in the standing would that change him from worst GM of year (playoffs)? What would he have to do not to be the worst excecutive this season, Stanley Cup or bust? Like I said, trades > everything else.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Stanley Cup runner ups for Vegas. Were they going to the SC with Panthers? Were they both even on the top line with Panthers? "bottom feeder to bubble team", that's right, what the hell else are we here for? If the team got 2 more points in the standing would that change him from worst GM of year (playoffs)? What would he have to do not to be the worst excecutive this season, Stanley Cup or bust? Like I said, trades > everything else.

First of all, yes. Trades ARE more important than everything else. They have the biggest impact on your team. And even without Tallon's trades, he still was a disaster this year.

- He drafted Tippet over Vilardi
- He burned a year off Tippet's ELC with another Expansion Draft imminent even though he only played on the 4th line when he wasn't scratched
- He burned a year of Borgstrom's ELC for no reason
- He lost Mascherin for literally nothing
- He signed Matheson to what is quite simply an undeserving contract. I like Matheson, but if he was gonna get an 8 year deal based on what he had shown at that point, he should have been looking at like 4m at the most
- He signed Vrbata, Haapala, Repo, Mamin and Haley, looked the fans dead in the face and said that those guys are all NHL caliber wingers that we don't need to worry about wing depth.

Tallon gets a pat on the back for signing Dadonov, extending Sceviour, the Vatrano trade, and (if he actually had anything to do with it) drafting Heponiemi. That's it. So even if we just throwaway trades, Tallon was still bottom 5 in the league for GMing this past season.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
C'mon man, you're an actual Panthers fan, you know exactly why the Cats improved 15 points.

1) Huberdeau played an extra 51 games
2) Barkov played an extra 18 games
3) Ekblad played an extra 14 games, without 2 lingering concussions, and just overall took a huge step forward
4) Matheson was no longer a rookie
5) Bjugstad played an extra 27 more games and wasn't a putrid detriment to the team every time he was on the ice
6) Dadonov came on the squad.

Dale gets credit for exactly 1 of those things.

And as for the 3 year improvement? We're talking about specifically about the previous season. Tallon has did a good job drafting Ekblad, Barkov, and Matheson, but Rowe made a lot of good moves too. Tallon sabotaged the team this year by losing Smith, Marchessault, Jagr and Jokinen and replacing our 2nd - 5th most important wings with Dadonov, McGinn, Vrbata, Mamin and Haley.

Tallon's choices...
-at the expansion draft
-during UFA
-trades he made (Demers)
-trades he tried to make (Original Demers for Guds)
-handling of draft (picking Tippet over Vilardi)
-handling of prospects (losing Mascherin and burning a year off Borg for nothing)
-handling of the budget order from ownership
Make him the clear winner of the GM Raspberry this year.
Come on man, you know this people's own choices how they want to view this. Injuries happened the other 2 seasons with Gallant as the coach, they didn't fall in standings at all. When the whole team was hwalthy during a good chunk of the 2016-2017 season, they played the same crappy hockey they the entire season. And you're a Panthers' fan, you should know this. That injury excuse is weak. I'm on my phone so I don't have time to address everything else, but the point is it's amazing to me how everyone's so up in arms about a team was that was maybe going to be bubble team with Smith and March, and yet the crap that happened after the 2015-2016 season isn't a blimp on the radar, and that actually derailed a team that poised to be a contender.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Bergevin AINEC

Dorion can't help it if his AGM gets arrested and what one of his players GF does
Tallon had to make a move with the expansion draft and saving money was important to the owners
Chia did nothing in the last year to make his team better or worse

MB is the guy with no expansion draft issue, no salary issue, lost Markov, Radulov and Galchenyuk, signed Alzner to a horrible contract, wasted effort and dollars on guys like Hemsky & Schlemko, protected Jordie f***ing Benn, threw Price under the bus.

The only tick he has in the positive side in the last 365 days was trading Pleky and he will undo that by re-signing him in about 2 weeks for stupid money

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Come on man, you know this people's own choices how they want to view this. Injuries happened the other 2 seasons with Gallant as the coach, they didn't fall in standings at all. When the whole team was hwalthy during a good chunk of the 2016-2017 season, they played the same crappy hockey they the entire season. And you're a Panthers' fan, you should know this. That injury excuse is weak. I'm on my phone so I don't have time to address everything else, but the point is it's amazing to me how everyone's so up in arms about a team was that was maybe going to be bubble team with Smith and March, and yet the crap that happened after the 2015-2016 season isn't a blimp on the radar, and that actually derailed a team that poised to be a contender.

I don't agree that the team would have been bubble with Smith and March. I legitimately think we would have been a comfortable WC1 or even 3rd in the Atlantic with actual winger supporter.

As for the injuries, I mean, yea we've had bad injury luck in the past, but I just don't see how you can compare the triple digits of man games lost to our core players last year (along with Ekblad's two concussions and Bjugstad's health issues wreaking havoc on their play) to other years where the injuries were just plain and simply not nearly as horrifically bad.

But it doesn't matter. What's done is done, and I think we're in a good spot going into the offseason and 2018-19. I just really, really hope that Dale doesn't blow our cap on big extension for Pacioretty or hand over Petrovic/Pysyk for a brutal return that makes our defense even less stable than before.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Bergevin AINEC

Dorion can't help it if his AGM gets arrested and what one of his players GF does
Tallon had to make a move with the expansion draft and saving money was important to the owners
Chia did nothing in the last year to make his team better or worse

MB is the guy with no expansion draft issue, no salary issue, lost Markov, Radulov and Galchenyuk, signed Alzner to a horrible contract, wasted effort and dollars on guys like Hemsky & Schlemko, protected Jordie ****ing Benn, threw Price under the bus.

The only tick he has in the positive side in the last 365 days was trading Pleky and he will undo that by re-signing him in about 2 weeks for stupid money

The Strome / Eberle trade probably made them worse.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Most egregious thing about Dorion that I see is that he should have got rid of Hoffman as soon as these issues became known, especially if they were known to go back as far as November (coinciding with their huge slump)

From my understanding the online harassment goes back to November but it sounds like the accusations started near the end of March. I’m not even sure he would have been able to suspend him for the remainder of the season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Bowman, Holland, and Dorian are 3 very solid choices.
Holland has done very well the last ~12 months (even longer imo, but definitely the last year).

Lost nothing of value to Vegas without having to pay with picks. Solid FA moves with only short-term contracts. Good trades that set the Wings up with tons of draft picks this year.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Toss up between Dorion and Chiarelli.

Tallon's bad but somewhat redeemed by the Dadonov signing.
Bergevin's bad but at least he acquires decent players, even though he gives up better players in the deals.

Don't know about Dorion. He is not to blame for Hoffman's gf. And how much is Melnyk responsible for? Can't say anything good about Dorion but he may just be the scapegoat.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When you (Dorion) re-sign for 3 years, speak of high fives about trades, have the smallest front office in the league and let all this fester in your club you are to blame. Him and ownership are steering the ship and setting the culture, he’s literally the definition of the captain of the titanic, this ship is unsinkable he says. A good gm or executive walks away.

This doesn’t even list the execs that have quit or been fired over the past years. Dorion and Melnyk win this by a landslide, us sens fans at this point would accept trading away all of EK, Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, etc if it meant a change in ownership and front office. You know it’s bad when you’d sacrifice guys like that for a reprieve.

Article leaves out phaneuf for gaborik, paying Vegas to retain on brassard, letting EK’s partner methot go in expansion and I’m sure I’m missing something

:laugh: Funny you compare him to the Captain of the Titanic. Smith was a good Captain. He knew his vessel was not unsinkable. It was pressure from ownership that lead to the disaster. So your analogy may be more accurate than you thought but lead to a different conclusion.

Reactions: cptjeff

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Honest question, am I missing something on Dale Tallon? I know the only move he did that is seemingly dumb is the Smith and Marchessault for a 4th.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Every time you think the Habs can't make a worse move, Bergevin reaches into his bag of tricks for a doozy. This isn't a knock on the Habs or their fans, as those poor folks all know how awful Bergevin is. It's just awful that he still has a job

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00