The Milbury Trophy: Worst Executive of the Year

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Dorion, Bergevin and Chia, easily.
A lot of beer holding going on there.

OH I see you traded an MVP caliber LW for a top 4D.
Well guess what?! I traded a Norris Caliber D, for a Norris caliber from 6 years ago!
Well, well, well; guess what. I have the best defenceman to play in the NHL in this generation; I'm going to likely lose him for peanuts.
Well guess what? I just shelled out 21 million dollars on two players who have literally showed a single season of improvement, because that always works out.
Hold my beer. I just traded one of the top 5D prospects in the NHL for a guy I'm going to call out for not being able to play centre!
Well hold my beer! I just traded one of my first round picks in the next two drafts while I'm clearly heading into a rebuild. Lotto picks? Who needs'em! Know what, I'll even throw an equivalent centre into the fray along with the first!
Well hold MY beer. Eberle? You ever hear of him? Well guess what, I'm going to trade him for a kid who'll put up as many points as Eberle has goals most seasons.

Everything these guys do makes me wonder how they still have jobs.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
How much of the mess in Ottawa is actually Dorion's doing? I feel blaming him is like blaming Giguere for his tenure in Colorado, he was Pierre Lacroix's puppet and I believe the same can be said for Dorion-Melnyk dynamic. I just hope he's getting plenty of $ for what will be career suicide.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
First of all, yes. Trades ARE more important than everything else. They have the biggest impact on your team. And even without Tallon's trades, he still was a disaster this year.

- He drafted Tippet over Vilardi
(According to former insider b1k, Tippet was credited to Wes Clark #1 quote shown below)
- He burned a year off Tippet's ELC with another Expansion Draft imminent even though he only played on the 4th line when he wasn't scratched
(He did not burn a year of Tippett's ELC. He was sent back before the 9 game mark #2)
- He burned a year of Borgstrom's ELC for no reason
(Not for no reason. We wanted to get him locked up after seeing Mascherin refuse to sign with us. He would of played more had the team not had that final stretch where we were close to making the 8th seed.)
- He lost Mascherin for literally nothing
(What value did a soon to be re-eligible draft prospect have? For all we know he could of had a small list of teams that he was willing to sign with, killing any value.)
- He signed Matheson to what is quite simply an undeserving contract. I like Matheson, but if he was gonna get an 8 year deal based on what he had shown at that point, he should have been looking at like 4m at the most
(And Matheson would of rejected that. While I don't like the 6+ year contracts, it was not a terrible deal based off his upside and talent. Not like he gave him an Ekblad level deal based off sheltered minutes. It's a risk, but IMO it was risk worth taking for a guy who has the potential to ask for 6-7 mil per year. For a budget level team it could back fire or pay off.)
- He signed Vrbata, Haapala, Repo, Mamin and Haley, looked the fans dead in the face and said that those guys are all NHL caliber wingers that we don't need to worry about wing depth.
(He also signed Dadonov too during the offseason with that cast, who was a NHL level winger. Vrbata up to the 17/18 season was a quality NHL winger. Father time caught up with him. Mamin looked to be a bottom 6 level winger and brought a good work ethic/hustle when he was on the ice. Haley is Bob Boogers kid. What would you want him to say? We're cap strapped so here a bunch of random players and hope it works out?)

Tallon gets a pat on the back for signing Dadonov, extending Sceviour, the Vatrano trade, and (if he actually had anything to do with it) drafting Heponiemi. That's it. So even if we just throwaway trades, Tallon was still bottom 5 in the league for GMing this past season.

Barkov and Borgstrom can be credited to Kekalainen, Tippett goes to the OHL scout Wes Clark.

Owen Tippett - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Yes, the expansion draft was bad, and looked worse in hindsight. Not going to defend him on that. However, there were some on your list that were incorrect or up for debate.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You could say Dorion is a puppet of Melnyk but that doesn't make sense to me.

Melnyk is obviously cheap. So why would he deal Hoffman for Boedker instead of draft picks? Boedker clearly isn't worth his salary.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I think Bergevin is horrible. Literally the only success he has with Montreal is with rosters he inherited and didn't alter much. The moment he started to make significant moves, team went down the toilet. Prospect pool is bottom of the barrel with the staff he built. Team's core is aging and bad cap (Price/Weber/soon to be Pacioretty).

But Dorion...takes it to a whole 'nother level. Chia could still redeem himself with a good summer IMO, MB or Doorion are too far gone.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Would love a reasonable explanation of what Holland has done wrong in the last 12 months.

Just because the team's bad, apparently he's a bad GM.
Yeah, he's the cause for a long-term suffrage; but I've liked what he's done over the past year. That Tatar trade was a stroke of genius.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You could say Dorion is a puppet of Melnyk but that doesn't make sense to me.

Melnyk is obviously cheap. So why would he deal Hoffman for Boedker instead of draft picks? Boedker clearly isn't worth his salary.
He's getting paid less in real dollars than his cap hit and there is a floor to reach.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Jeff_Gorton_hyyhzgle_3jz8sty7.png

Jeff Gorton

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Is there honestly a single team in the NHL that would hire Bergevin if he was available? I don't see how he will possibly get another job as GM, he is the absolute worst and has been for years.

Reactions: Devonator

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's getting paid less in real dollars than his cap hit and there is a floor to reach.

I am aware, but they would have been better off getting the picks and afterwards overpaying a free agent to reach the floor, or trade for dead contracts (like PHX did w/ Pronger & Datsyuk)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How much of the mess in Ottawa is actually Dorion's doing? I feel blaming him is like blaming Giguere for his tenure in Colorado, he was Pierre Lacroix's puppet and I believe the same can be said for Dorion-Melnyk dynamic. I just hope he's getting plenty of $ for what will be career suicide.
I would say it's 99.9% certain he is getting paid bottom 3 in the league

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Did you 1 year ago project Karlsson as a 40 goal scorer??
Please provide evidence in this case, cuz Im pretty sure noone did. What Tallon did is more telling
I'm sorry pal, but my prognostication skills don't change any of the facts, Columbus gave Las Vegas a young 40+ goal center (and lady Bing winner now for what that is worth) as an incentive to protect a depth player. Yes it would have been impossible to know that would happen but he is paid to assess talent and crapped the bed. Hindsight is allowed when discussing the quality of a GM's performance. You are right however, Florida did just as poorly. I just think given the value of top line centers, that one is a bit worse.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
5 pages and only one person mentions Stan Bowman? Seriously, this guy is being given a major pass because of the previous Stanley Cup. But 2017-18 was horrible for him. The Saad VS Panarin trade alone must be the worst trade of the year. Actually, did he win a single trade this year???

sans-titre-jpg.126063

And if we go back to the previous year, Bowman also traded Teravainen for a 2nd and a 3rd draft pick. He also traded Danault AND a 2nd round pick for 2 bad rentals (Weise and Fleischmann). Think about it : Bowman holds the title of being the only GM to get fleeced by Bergevin!

Attachments

• Sans titre.jpg
    Sans titre.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad