The Milbury Trophy: Worst Executive of the Year

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
How the hell is a GM going to be the worst GM of the year by improving his team by 15 points in the standings?

Yeah, I knew people was going to come with Tallon. Results on the ice is what matters to me. The last 3 years with him as the GM his teams have improved pretty dramatically in the standings. If we're not counting that, what are we here for? And yes, in the 2016-2017 season where the team sucked (with March and Smith in the lineup), he was not the GM.

I guess trades > everything else.

Last edited:

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
How the hell is a GM going to be the worst GM of the year by improving his team by 15 points in the standings?

Yeah, I knew people was going to come with Tallon. Results on the ice is what matters to me. The last 3 years with him as the GM his teams have improved pretty dramatically in the standings. If we're not counting that, what are we here for? And yes, in the 2016-2017 season where the team sucked (with March and Smith in the lineup), he was not the GM.

A rise up the standings from bottom feeder to bubble team is definitely not noteworthy enough to make anyone forget that Dale Tallon traded away 2/3rds of the top line of the Stanley Cup runnerups :laugh:

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
This is a tough one because there are a few GMs that made spectacularly awful moves. I think Chiarelli might be the worst.

If we're talking management in general, then the Oilers win this hands down. They seem more concerned about the 1980s Oilers than the 2018 Oilers.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
George McPhee? :sarcasm:

A year ago this guy was taking some serious hate.
I want to see what he does regarding the unexpected and unlikely success his team had this season.

He could quickly go from looking like a genius to being a moron who handicapped his team for the foreseeable future if he goes all in for winning now and it blows up.

Need to keep building their prospect pool and they really need to use their cap space intelligently.

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Toss up between Dorion and Chiarelli.

Tallon's bad but somewhat redeemed by the Dadonov signing.
Bergevin's bad but at least he acquires decent players, even though he gives up better players in the deals.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
He might not win it this year, but Bergevin deserves votes for at least a #2 finish. Worst of all is that it's not over yet, so with a bit of effort he might end the year (draft) as the top choice. :popcorn:

Reactions: Fixxer

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

C'mon man, you're an actual Panthers fan, you know exactly why the Cats improved 15 points.

1) Huberdeau played an extra 51 games
2) Barkov played an extra 18 games
3) Ekblad played an extra 14 games, without 2 lingering concussions, and just overall took a huge step forward
4) Matheson was no longer a rookie
5) Bjugstad played an extra 27 more games and wasn't a putrid detriment to the team every time he was on the ice
6) Dadonov came on the squad.

Dale gets credit for exactly 1 of those things.

And as for the 3 year improvement? We're talking about specifically about the previous season. Tallon has did a good job drafting Ekblad, Barkov, and Matheson, but Rowe made a lot of good moves too. Tallon sabotaged the team this year by losing Smith, Marchessault, Jagr and Jokinen and replacing our 2nd - 5th most important wings with Dadonov, McGinn, Vrbata, Mamin and Haley.

Tallon's choices...
-at the expansion draft
-during UFA
-trades he made (Demers)
-trades he tried to make (Original Demers for Guds)
-handling of draft (picking Tippet over Vilardi)
-handling of prospects (losing Mascherin and burning a year off Borg for nothing)
-handling of the budget order from ownership
Make him the clear winner of the GM Raspberry this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad