The Milbury Trophy: Worst Executive of the Year

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
A rise up the standings from bottom feeder to bubble team is definitely not noteworthy enough to make anyone forget that Dale Tallon traded away 2/3rds of the top line of the Stanley Cup runnerups :laugh:

I still have to go with how the team did on the ice therefore Tallon doesn't belong here even though he made a bad trade or two. Not even close.

Bergevin is my choice. He just continues to make his team worse.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
There's the list!!

The winner is...................Bergevin. Making trades for the sake of making them..........doesn't address a need, and usually creates another hole in the lineup.

This. Bergevin is definitely the worst GM right now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No he didn't. He didn't do anything. He thought the players we had would develop into a contender and added nothing to bolster the lineup. He moved a guy who asked for a trade for a downgrade that saved him money. Every other issue the team had was because Chiarelli did nothing to fix the problems at hand. I guess if you feel that not fixing a problem is worse than trying to fix a problem and failing miserably multiple times then you are certainly entitled to that opinion.
He gave away our best winger for peanuts (lol asked for a trade) for something we didn't need and then sat on his hands because he thought McDavid was an instant win button.

He's a buffoon of the highest degree. You don't create holes in your lineup and then not patch them. Our highest scoring winger had... what, 12 goals?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Dorian..... not trading Hoffman at the trade deadline when he knew it was going to explode and become a circus.

Duchene trade.....

-Turris
- 2019 1st ( probably top 5 O.A)
- 2017 1st round pick (Bowers)
- 3rnd pick

He could have just traded Turris to Nashville for what they gave up or for a 1st rounder plus.

He also did a press conference b4 the expansion draft where he quoted the wrong rules about who was available for the expansion draft from his own team. I was watching the presser and felt sorry for the guy and Ottawa fans. (There is a H.F. thread on here about him not knowing the expansion rules)

The guy should not do in terviews or pressers as he just comes off looking stupid.

Brassard deal at the deadline was decent.

He also looked silly with how he handled the Phaneuf deal. Publicly asking him to waive b4 expansion ( keep your dirty laundry in house)

The later trade of Phaneuf to L.A. was also terrible.

Trying to sadle B. Ryan to any Karlsson deal to save Eugine $.....

Eugene influence is definitly part of his incompetence but he is hands down 2017 Mike Milbury award winner.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
[mod]

However I really, really, hope that Hoffman gets his act together. One thing I am confident with when it comes to Dale that he isn't going to toxify the lockerroom. He doesn't go for those types of players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
[mod]
However I really, really, hope that Hoffman gets his act together. One thing I am confident with when it comes to Dale that he isn't going to toxify the lockerroom. He doesn't go for those types of players.
Yeah, it's a tweet though, that says Tallon did his homework on the issue. And doesn't expect any problems. We'll see though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kerrabria

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He gave away our best winger for peanuts (lol asked for a trade) for something we didn't need and then sat on his hands because he thought McDavid was an instant win button.

He's a buffoon of the highest degree. You don't create holes in your lineup and then not patch them. Our highest scoring winger had... what, 12 goals?

I admitted that he did nothing. I said as much. As per laughing about Eberle asking for a trade, he admitted as such. Now, of course we didn't have to trade him, but he played like garbage anyway because he wanted out, that was apparent. I disagree that we got something we didnt' need in return though. Strome struggled to start the year but finished okay, especially considering his cap hit. Chiarelli got cap space that we needed long term, and got a guy with high upside and a reasonable cap hit for his production. Sounds like you're being confrontational when for the most part we agree - that Chiarelli did nothing because he thought we had enough in place. That's a major mistake, sure, but I still don't think its as bad as Bergevin making bad trade after bad trade with his key players, or Tallon and his giving away good top six players to Vegas just so he could keep a guy who is apparently now on the trade block.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Should do a poll

Bergevin
Tallon
Chiarelli
Dorion/Melnyk (since many of the problems stem from Melnyk)
Snow
Holland

(these are not in any order)

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
The obvious choice is one of Chiarelli or Bergevin however neither of them can match the way both Florida and Columbus botched the expansion draft. My vote is for the guy who paid assets to ensure a forty plus goal center was taken from their roster instead of some second pairing defender. Nice work pal.

Did you 1 year ago project Karlsson as a 40 goal scorer??
Please provide evidence in this case, cuz Im pretty sure noone did. What Tallon did is more telling

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Top (Bottom?) 4 of Bergevin, Tallon, Chiarelli, and Dorion.

My pick would be Dorion because on top of the terrible season and current dumpster fire, they do not have a 1st round pick next season. All the other GM's and their terrible teams have their 1st round picks still.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Bergevin gets my vote for this year if we're talking July 1 - June 30, but Chiarelli could still pull ahead with a dumb trade in the next 11 days.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
How the hell is a GM going to be the worst GM of the year by improving his team by 15 points in the standings?

Yeah, I knew people was going to come with Tallon. Results on the ice is what matters to me. The last 3 years with him as the GM his teams have improved pretty dramatically in the standings. If we're not counting that, what are we here for? And yes, in the 2016-2017 season where the team sucked (with March and Smith in the lineup), he was not the GM.

I guess trades > everything else.

GM's job is to make the moves (trades), Coach's job is to make those trades work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad