The migration/new board software thread

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They say they're working on the problem and that we (the mods) will know more when they know more. I'm not sure what else I can say and I'm sorry that I don't think I can be more help at this point. We as mods are almost as much in the dark here as you are.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
The problem seems to be hitting West Coast posters. I can't use the site at all in Firefox regardless of any changes.
The easy, temporary fix that works for some (worked for me in Chrome) is to go to your preferences and uncheck the:
"Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages"

Some avatars will still be missing and you won't be able to edit your messages, but at least a text box shows up and the pages don't take minutes to load.
Thanks for posting this, I haven't been able to post for a few days now.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah, it's causing all manner of oddities. But an oddity in itself is that it seems to pretty much entirely be contained to posters in the western US. For example I'm unaffected, as are any number of posters based in Canada or the eastern US.

The admins and behind-the-scenes site tech people are working on it, but there's not much information to go around at this point other than the fact that they're trying to nail down the culprit and they know that it's weirdly contained to a geographical region.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I wouldn't call it a nightmare but it has been frustrating. Also I have also noticed people quoting messages and that was the entire post. One example was you, Slo quoting one of my posts above but not writing anything else. That was weird.

Wanted to put something in white text but don't know how on this forum anymore.

Last edited:

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I wouldn't call it a nightmare but it has been frustrating. Also I have also noticed people quoting messages and that was the entire post. One example was you, Slo quoting one of my posts above but not writing anything else. That was weird.

This is what happened to me. I couldn't see the quote or the reply box. I guess it's been fixed since I can now see the avatars and the reply box again.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, it's frustrating for us mods as well. We don't know that much about it other than it is affecting west coast U.S. users. Western Canadian users have been fine, I think.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Yeah, it's frustrating for us mods as well. We don't know that much about it other than it is affecting west coast U.S. users. Western Canadian users have been fine, I think.

After not being able to post for 2+ weeks, I got a solid tip from the tech support guys. They recommended disabling the rich text editor, which seems to have temporarily fixed the issue...

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I had to fly back across the country to be able to post again. I wasn’t scheduled to return to New York for another week but I couldn’t handle it.:sarcasm:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Connects to LA VPN, then laughs as HF breaks with rich text editor enabled. Okay, I can replicate it at least. Two weeks though? :laugh:

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Just FYI in case it helps anyone, I am in Sacramento and as soon as I switched from Chrome to Firefox for accessing the boards everything seems to work. Avatar pics show, editor works, I was a able to quote in a reply without having an empty post, etc. I am on the latest version of the Firefox with the new engine, so that may be a factor too.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
From what I'm hearing from admins and from what I'm experiencing, everything seem to be copacetic now.
They are recommending Chrome users to clear their cookies and cache and restart the browser to see if that fixes things.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Welcome back everyone. Just so you know, while everyone was gone I may have eaten everything in the fridge, rearranged the pictures on the wall, and deleted everything off the PVR so I could record a Red Dwarf marathon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad