The migration/new board software thread

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Did they completely mess up the whole ignored user stuff? It's making it so I see that an ignored user posted something but blocking out their post and I really don't even want to know an ignored user exists.

edit:nvm it went back to normal. that was weird.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey guys. Leafs fan here. I saw this thread so I thought I would ask you guys.
Is the ignore thread feature gone or is it still here? I cant seem to find it.
Thanks

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Has anyone else been having some serious issues with the board the last few days. I think this board's javascript is screwed up because I'm trying to post and I can't even get the reply box, or avatars to load, and it's massively massively slow. I wanted to post about the Sharks game last night and I couldn't because this board was really screwy, and while I've been working with Buffaload regarding my issues, they seemed to get worse last night while others were able to post here ok. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I worry that because others are posting as normal, this is just an issue on my end and I don't know what to do. I think it started when we got the new article section and it's only gotten worse from there.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Has anyone else been having some serious issues with the board the last few days. I think this board's javascript is screwed up because I'm trying to post and I can't even get the reply box, or avatars to load, and it's massively massively slow. I wanted to post about the Sharks game last night and I couldn't because this board was really screwy, and while I've been working with Buffaload regarding my issues, they seemed to get worse last night while others were able to post here ok. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I worry that because others are posting as normal, this is just an issue on my end and I don't know what to do. I think it started when we got the new article section and it's only gotten worse from there.

I can't post at all unless I use a VPN. I think it might be server/dns issue.

I can post on Firefox but not Chrome. I can't even get the reply box on Chrome. I turned off Avatars to see if that would help and at least the site feels snappier.

same thing happening to me

Last edited:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I can't post at all unless I use a VPN. I think it might be server/dns issue.

same thing happening to me

This seems to be the case. I am using the Tor browser and am finally able to use the site again after 3 days.

I can't post reply or edit on FF or Chrome DT or Dolphin / Chrome on Android. Chrome at least lets me browse somewhat normally, but FF takes like a minute or 2 to load a page right now.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
The problem seems to be hitting West Coast posters. I can't use the site at all in Firefox regardless of any changes.
The easy, temporary fix that works for some (worked for me in Chrome) is to go to your preferences and uncheck the:
"Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages"

Some avatars will still be missing and you won't be able to edit your messages, but at least a text box shows up and the pages don't take minutes to load.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The problem seems to be hitting West Coast posters. I can't use the site at all in Firefox regardless of any changes.
The easy, temporary fix that works for some (worked for me in Chrome) is to go to your preferences and uncheck the:

Some avatars will still be missing and you won't be able to edit your messages, but at least a text box shows up and the pages don't take minutes to load.
That works. Thank you.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Hard to tell if its a widespread issue as the search feature isnt showing much, and we cant view others posts in the support forum.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

Thank you. I can actually post on Chrome again now. I'm not sure what is happening with this board but I kinda hope the Admins roll back whatever it was they did. If they wanted articles, they could have just put them on the right side column or something.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hard to tell if its a widespread issue as the search feature isnt showing much, and we cant view others posts in the support forum.

I wish we can see other posts in the support forum. I wonder why the decision was made to not allow that, as it seems like if I was an admin and got to see everything, having the same variation of a thread pop up over and over would be a bit nauseating, while if everyone saw what everyone's issues were, that might help the entire community rather than the individual.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I wish we can see other posts in the support forum. I wonder why the decision was made to not allow that, as it seems like if I was an admin and got to see everything, having the same variation of a thread pop up over and over would be a bit nauseating, while if everyone saw what everyone's issues were, that might help the entire community rather than the individual.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Sometimes support issues are of a nature that should be confidential. And sometimes people will post (of their own volition) sensitive information while looking for help with an issue. Having a forum that's private basically makes it like a broad, all-mods PM system so that issues can be dealt with quickly but also keep that sort of stuff private without the risk that someone posts what they shouldn't.

EDIT: FWIW, the admins are aware of the issue, and are (to the best of my knowledge) working on it. It appears that the majority of the problems are confined to posters in the western US. Like, for example, I'm not having any problems.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Sometimes support issues are of a nature that should be confidential. And sometimes people will post (of their own volition) sensitive information while looking for help with an issue. Having a forum that's private basically makes it like a broad, all-mods PM system so that issues can be dealt with quickly but also keep that sort of stuff private without the risk that someone posts what they shouldn't.

EDIT: FWIW, the admins are aware of the issue, and are (to the best of my knowledge) working on it. It appears that the majority of the problems are confined to posters in the western US. Like, for example, I'm not having any problems.

That makes sense, but I wonder if exceptions would be made for issues impacting the entire board. For example, I saw the Sharks thread getting it's regular activity last night and I couldn't post in it because I couldn't even get the reply box to show up. I didn't know if it was just me or if the admins knew about it. Then when I want to get onto the board this morning and the issue is still being worked on, That curiosity of if it was just me or if the admins even know about just intensifies. When you see no other threads or no conversation about it, I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That makes sense, but I wonder if exceptions would be made for issues impacting the entire board. For example, I saw the Sharks thread getting it's regular activity last night and I couldn't post in it because I couldn't even get the reply box to show up. I didn't know if it was just me or if the admins knew about it. Then when I want to get onto the board and the issue is still being worked on, That curiosity of if it was just me or if the admins even know about just intensifies. When you see no other threads or no conversation about it, I feel like I'm missing out on something.

I don't know if it's possible to make exceptions in specific cases. In fact, I'm not even sure if the quasi-hidden nature of that board is something native to the new Xenforo setup. Apparently trying to make the new HF behave like ye olde HF as much as possible has been a bit of a struggle, as not all of the old features of the site can be implemented on here cleanly. Or at all.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I was locked out for days. Used email communication with admins. Still not all the way back. Tried 3 different browsers on computer, and couldn't access via phone either.

Fortunately had emails of a few posters like Nem to get some info out.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Is there a place I can go to (That's not twitter) to get any info if the board is unusable. I sent a contact us message last night but I don't know if it went through and I don't think anyone here posts on a Star Trek board I post at. I guess in the long run it's not a big deal, but I was bummed I couldn't post on here last night, especially during the game.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005

Thank you for this. This is the first I've been able to post today.

I kept trying on different browsers and computers/phones to no avail.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Seems to be a lot less people posting here

They still haven't fixed or updated as to what is going on. I still think it has to do with the whole Article thing, which in my opinion has really screwed up how this board is ran. Heck, when I enter "www.hfboards.com" it takes me right to the article page, and because the board is really really slow, it takes a good 3 minutes to load everything properly.

I'm not experiencing this on any other site.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Yeah the new website design makes it almost easier to stay logged out than logged in. also doesnt help that pages take forever to load. Even on mobile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad