Post-Game Talk: THE MIGHTY SABRES - 4, The Puny Penguins - 1

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
- HF "fans"

Jacques G said:
Don't go to sleep yet, you're all in for a big surprise...

This was post #898 of the GDT. I pulled out all the stops guys, channeling my inner PitHockey22. It wasn't enough. And what did you do? You cried. You jumped off the highest structure you could find. You didn't believe, the way that PitHockey22 believes.

Next time we're down, I'd better see many posts, nay, many pages of PitHockey22 channeling. It's the least we can do for our Pittsburgh Penguins.

Malkin112*

Disgusting game by Vokoun. He is so slow its not even funny anymore.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Blargh but also eh.
-US, but that happens.
- x 45343 the experiment of Kennedy centering Dupuis and Kunitz, asbestos in the walls of schools was a better idea.
+ Buffalo for showing never quit playing and take every game seriously. Can't be too mad about the loss though, they just out played us all the way.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
+ Not having to listen to Steiggy as is it wasnt blacked out on NBC. I can imagine the crying going on from him during this game.

+ Top line.

+ Murray (really the 3 new guys are all playing up to expectations)

- Niskanen

- Orpik (Anyone see him plow driving a guy back into fleury again....?)

- Despres

- HFBoards, for not recognizing that Bylsma's trying to get malkin and sutters line chemistry with the new acquisitions. Its not that he thinks kennedy is great.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
I was doing other stuff and only caught bits and pieces of the game, but I would say that before we abandon the idea of keeping Iginla with Malkin and Neal we should at least recognize that their first game together against the Islanders was the most sustained pressure Malkin's line has had all season. I do agree that we're likely better off putting Iginla on Sid's line and bumping Dupuis down to the third line (moving Morrow to the second line, of course), but I do think the N-M-I line has the potential to be very dangerous. I'd give them a few more games together and see how it works out - people are dismissing this line way too easily.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
- HFBoards, for not recognizing that Bylsma's trying to get malkin and sutters line chemistry with the new acquisitions. Its not that he thinks kennedy is great.

I don't speak for everyone but for me I understand this, but why Kennedy. Jeffery or even Vitale would be better IMO. I know the arguments for Kennedy but to me the guys a waste, needs to be on the 4th line all the time now.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I don't speak for everyone but for me I understand this, but why Kennedy. Jeffery or even Vitale would be better IMO. I know the arguments for Kennedy but to me the guys a waste, needs to be on the 4th line all the time now.

Jeffery maaaybe. Vitale c'mon. Yeah I know everyones got a big hard on for him, and I agree he should be in over glass, but centering the first line?

Jeffery is much slower than kennedy, not just straight line but just everything. Regardless does it really matter that much? Jeffery/Kennedy they both suck... kennedy has shining moments in the past, Jeffery has just pretty much always sucked. It doesn't really matter, hell it was the first game maybe they'll switch it up.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Jeffery maaaybe. Vitale c'mon. Yeah I know everyones got a big hard on for him, and I agree he should be in over glass, but centering the first line?

Jeffery is much slower than kennedy, not just straight line but just everything. Regardless does it really matter that much? Jeffery/Kennedy they both suck... kennedy has shining moments in the past, Jeffery has just pretty much always sucked. It doesn't really matter, hell it was the first game maybe they'll switch it up.

I just really dislike Kennedy ha ha. Plus those guys are centers where Kennedy hasnt played it for years. And with any of the 3 we're discussing at center I wouldn't call it Line 1 but I get the jist. Ya it was only the first game, guess we'll see how it goes tonight.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Disgusting game by Vokoun. He is so slow its not even funny anymore.
He needs to keep the play in front of him. Once he starts going side to side he's dead... but I guess you can say that about half the goalies in the league. The Pens spent most of the game chasing last night so its hard to blame the goalies. Just a bad effort by everyone but MAF and maybe Glass.

nTsplnk*

Guys, Vitale is a great 4th line guy but come on.

Kennedy is our only option. Jeffrey sucks-any skills he has or hockey sense he possesses it's wasted because he can't skate for ****.

We've all debated what lineup we think is best. Bylsma made his decision. Let's give it a few games.

nTsplnk*

He needs to keep the play in front of him. Once he starts going side to side he's dead... but I guess you can say that about half the goalies in the league. The Pens spent most of the game chasing last night so its hard to blame the goalies. Just a bad effort by everyone but MAF and maybe Glass.

Pens just didn't have it. They were slow. We had no forecheck and that lead to turnovers high in the zone. Buffalo won every battle down low.

Niskanen was absolute trash, looked like he was still in Dallas last night.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Meh, we were bound to lose sometime. Maybe now we can get back into playoff mode.

For the record, people do realize that this streak is tied for the 2nd longest in NHL history, right?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Meh, we were bound to lose sometime. Maybe now we can get back into playoff mode.

For the record, people do realize that this streak is tied for the 2nd longest in NHL history, right?

Yep. You all just got trolled.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It sucks that the streak is over but it was bound to end at some point. However, yesterdays performance was terrible. With our Forward line-up we should be troubling Buffalo more than once. Whilst our D has been better (Apart from last nights brain fart game) our Forward seems to have gone the other way.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I saw after the game TV said something like "It's hard to play with that level of emotion every game." I'm sure some people won't like it but I'm also sure it's true. There's going to be a clunker every now and then when they come out flat and unemotional & don't play well. As long as it doesn't happen during the playoffs, which I seriously doubt it would, I can just chalk it up to **** happens. Even if they're playing an 8 seed I think they'll be really invested in the playoffs. Particularly if it ends with the Isles or Rangers in 8. Division opponent in the first round would add a little extra incentive.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I just really dislike Kennedy ha ha. Plus those guys are centers where Kennedy hasnt played it for years. And with any of the 3 we're discussing at center I wouldn't call it Line 1 but I get the jist. Ya it was only the first game, guess we'll see how it goes tonight.

Yeah, you have to look at it like this. Jeffery's game matches malkins and Tk's matches sid.... yeah like 1000x worse, but the styles they play.

When Malkin was out, jeffery played center not TK. When sid's out they have TK not jeffery. The coaches line of thinking makes sense to me, whether it works out or not we'll see.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I saw after the game TV said something like "It's hard to play with that level of emotion every game." I'm sure some people won't like it but I'm also sure it's true. There's going to be a clunker every now and then when they come out flat and unemotional & don't play well. As long as it doesn't happen during the playoffs, which I seriously doubt it would, I can just chalk it up to **** happens. Even if they're playing an 8 seed I think they'll be really invested in the playoffs. Particularly if it ends with the Isles or Rangers in 8. Division opponent in the first round would add a little extra incentive.

No doubt.

Not to dwell on streaks, I always thought it was interesting that the 70's Habs and 80's Oilers never had untouchable winning streaks. The 1982 Isles (which we're tied with now) are sort of an exception to that, but a lot of the streaks record holders are held by some above average, yet incredibly flawed teams (2001 Devils, 1985 Flyers, 1993 Penguins).

There's a few championship teams on the streaks list (1971 Bruins, 82 Isles, etc.), though, so make of it what you will.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Saw that one coming yesterday for some reason

Flat game **** happens time to think of the next one tonight. Fleury looked very good after coming in which is great news

We just looked flat and slow last night, time to beat the Rags

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
No doubt.

Not to dwell on streaks, I always thought it was interesting that the 70's Habs and 80's Oilers never had untouchable winning streaks. The 1982 Isles (which we're tied with now) are sort of an exception to that, but a lot of the streaks record holders are held by some above average, yet incredibly flawed teams (2001 Devils, 1985 Flyers, 1993 Penguins).

There's a few championship teams on the streaks list (1971 Bruins, 82 Isles, etc.), though, so make of it what you will.

I think people read too far into streaks to begin with. Granted, you have to be a damn good team to win 15 in a row. That many wins isn't an accident. Still, it doesn't make them unbeatable any more than a loss makes them suddenly stink. It just is what it is. It's a nice little historical footnote and it would have been cool if they had set the NHL record, but they didn't and ultimately that means absolutely nothing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think people read too far into streaks to begin with. Granted, you have to be a damn good team to win 15 in a row. That many wins isn't an accident. Still, it doesn't make them unbeatable any more than a loss makes them suddenly stink. It just is what it is. It's a nice little historical footnote and it would have been cool if they had set the NHL record, but they didn't and ultimately that means absolutely nothing.

I think it's honestly more indicative of your schedule/division (back when we had divisional schedules) than your team's post-season worthiness. Otherwise, you'd have those insane Gretzky-led Oilers teams with untouchable winning streaks. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad