The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Pretty funny how Matthews is treated compared to other stars. Never plays with Marner, is lucky if he plays over 18 minutes/night, and gets to work with our bottom 4 D rather than Rielly. With all this being said he is still 7th in the league in PPG, tied with Ovechkin for #1 in Goals/Game, 2nd in Points/60, and 1st in goals/60.

Meanwhile, Babs decides to demote him to the 2nd PP where he'll play 40 seconds/power play if lucky, and be given the cold William Nylander, Johnsson, Marleau, and Gardiner. While Marner and Tavares have Kapanen, Kadri, and Rielly.

Pretty Ridiculous, not how a player of Matthews caliber should be treated, literally no incentive for the kid to stick around if this continues.

Babs is starting to piss me off

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Pretty funny how Matthews is treated compared to other stars. Never plays with Marner, is lucky if he plays over 18 minutes/night, and gets to work with our bottom 4 D rather than Rielly. With all this being said he is still 7th in the league in PPG, tied with Ovechkin for #1 in Goals/Game, 2nd in Points/60, and 1st in goals/60.

Meanwhile, Babs decides to demote him to the 2nd PP where he'll play 40 seconds/power play if lucky, and be given the cold William Nylander, Johnsson, Marleau, and Gardiner. While Marner and Tavares have Kapanen, Kadri, and Rielly.

Pretty Ridiculous, not how a player of Matthews caliber should be treated, literally no incentive for the kid to stick around if this continues.

I get the feeling Matthews cares about winning not individual stats. He's going to get PAID this summer. Even Tampa changed up its PP this year and it's #1.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If you didn't have an ax to grind with Babcock, you'd be able to see that Matthews getting Nylander, Johnsson, Marleau, Gardiner etc relative to the better group, is in fact the highest compliment. It's saying Matthews can carry that unit.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
If you didn't have an ax to grind with Babcock, you'd be able to see that Matthews getting Nylander, Johnsson, Marleau, Gardiner etc relative to the better group, is in fact the highest compliment. It's saying Matthews can carry that unit.
That’s the thing, I’ve been a huge Babcock supporter and actually like the guy a lot. It’s just the treatment of Matthews that’s getting annoying. I’m sure I’ll end up realizing that I was wrong, and Babs was right in a few weeks like usual

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That’s the thing, I’ve been a huge Babcock supporter and actually like the guy a lot. It’s just the treatment of Matthews that’s getting annoying. I’m sure I’ll end up realizing that I was wrong, and Babs was right in a few weeks like usual

I think it just says Matthews can handle it and second, maybe they're trying to deflate those PP numbers a little like they did with Rielly in his contract year. Not sure how effective that is, but I guess they're doing it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Besides the media pointing out that other teams are figuring out the Leafs power play if they take away Marner's pass, didn't other Leafs fans want Babcock to change it up for that same reason?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think it just says Matthews can handle it and second, maybe they're trying to deflate those PP numbers a little like they did with Rielly in his contract year. Not sure how effective that is, but I guess they're doing it.
Not sure I like the idea of trying to deflate your franchise players numbers. Matthews already has to carry his line at 5 v 5, give the guy a break, and let him play with some good players on the PP.

If they put Kadri/Kapanen on his unit rather than Marleau I’d be a lot more supportive

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Besides the media pointing out that other teams are figuring out the Leafs power play if they take away Marner's pass, didn't other Leafs fans want Babcock to change it up for that same reason?
You can make changes without taking Matthews off the line. Work out a new power play strategy maybe? All they do is try the cross to Matthews or the slap pass, maybe it’s even as simple as putting Matthews and Marner on their off sides, or switching Kadri and Willy/Johnsson

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You can make changes without taking Matthews off the line. Work out a new power play strategy maybe? All they do is try the cross to Matthews or the slap pass, maybe it’s even as simple as putting Matthews and Marner on their off sides, or switching Kadri and Willy/Johnsson
The last 2 seasons Toronto's power play finished #2 overall and that's before the arrival of John Tavares or having Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Rielly on the same line.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not sure I like the idea of trying to deflate your franchise players numbers. Matthews already has to carry his line at 5 v 5, give the guy a break, and let him play with some good players on the PP.

If they put Kadri/Kapanen on his unit rather than Marleau I’d be a lot more supportive
Are we trying to win a championship or a scoring title. Seems that many only want to see Mathew get more points rather then win games.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I thought about this and dont mind it. The PP has been struggling lately and mixing it up might not hurt.

Elite shooter in Matthew's gets to play against potential 2nd tier penalty killers with another shooter in nylander.

As for his minutes, we have to remember the guy is 21. Laine has been on the 4th line this year. Matthews has a lot of pressure as a 21 year old.

Leafs are grooming their number 1 franchise center under the presence of john Tavares.

Look at Rielly. Has Always been good, but just now ,at 24 is Rielly becoming dominant and getting the best minutes under Babcock. Matthew's at 24 could be one of the best 2 way centers in the league. He already is.

Reminds me of a Kopitar with a better shot. Dangerous player.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don’t see why the two can’t go hand-in-hand. Unleashing Matthews even more offensively would likely help the team win more games.
The pp has been very ineffective for over a month so they are going to two pp so that teams can attempt to shut down two units for the whole 2 minutes which will prove more difficult. It is about winning games.

Mathews has been unleashed I do not know why you think he has not been.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Is Matthews hurt? Seems to be mailing it in on most recent nights and that is with 3 points in 3 games, which for most mere mortals that would be fine but for Austin it feels like when I watch him he is not playing at his usual possessed self. thsi is the kind of guy who is a difference maker and IMO he has been invisible recently.

IMO he is giving about 65-70%% effort, it's like he is hurt or tired or pissed (sulking?), dunno , something is off about him

RLF

May 5, 2014
Is Matthews hurt? Seems to be mailing it in on most recent nights and that is with 3 points in 3 games, which for most mere mortals that would be fine but for Austin it feels like when I watch him he is not playing at his usual possessed self. thsi is the kind of guy who is a difference maker and IMO he has been invisible recently.

IMO he is giving about 65-70%% effort, it's like he is hurt or tired or pissed (sulking?), dunno , something is off about him

Well, that is the same amount of games he has been with Nylander and Johnsson is it not?...No, I am not saying that is the issue, just interesting. But as much as many think that line will work well, maybe Matthews is just not finding the chemistry yet of the group.
Johnsson is a better finisher than say Hyman, but doesn't have the ability and size of Hyman to win the board battles and net presence Hyman had.
Also Johnsson wants the puck as well, where Hyman seemed happy to do the dirty work and let the other two have the puck and create, giving them more puck time.
All of a sudden, Matthews is on a line where all three want the puck(Nylander and Johnsson like to control it as well). It may sound on paper like a good line, but maybe not in reality as guys like Matthews needs to have the puck to be happy.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I can't understand the demotion on the PP after he played his best game in over a month last game. Makes no sense to me. Good news is I have heard from my friend in Leafs sports science that Leafs are close to finalizing a 8 year deal for Matty. I assume it will happen before the TDL. So that makes me happy that we'll have Matty and Tavares locked up long term. His mom and dad came in and everything looks good. Now they need to get Marner done too although I know that one will be much more difficult. One step at a time.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
When Kappy/Matthews were split up it seemed to make them both less dangerous.

I can't believe we still have posters that think Marner not playing with Matthews is an issue that hurts us and worthy of critique when the Tavares/Marner combo is clearly clicking for both. Let's worry about fixing what is wrong before we fix what is right.

This said JT makes everyone he plays with look great and if you really want to get Nylander going that is probably the best place for him. If JT can make PA Parenteau and Matt Moulson look like elite forwards he should be able to do something for Willie.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't know why Matthews isn't using his shot like he was before the injury. That concerns me.

I don't know what you have been watching but Matthews has been using the shot when he's had the opportunity to. On the PP every team has caught on to the Marner cross ice pass which is why he cannot get his shots away like he did at the beginning. If he does get the shot away, defensive players are either getting in the way or closing in faster due to learning his strategy. He also has been shooting more often over the past 5 games then he did at the beginning of the season, if it weren't for deflections, posts, blocked shots he would still be scoring. He's in a rut that's all, every star player goes through them. Crosby took almost 20 games to score his first goal of the season.

The cause of Matthews struggles has more to do with coaching decisions on linemates, and bad luck then being hurt.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I don't know why Matthews isn't using his shot like he was before the injury. That concerns me.

He used to rip that shot from everywhere..
Once he just crossed the blueline and let one go that beat the goalie short side....he never had time to move.
People forget how dominant this guy is when healthy. They think that point totals tell you the whole story.
He certainly hasn't looked right recently.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't know what you have been watching but Matthews has been using the shot when he's had the opportunity to. On the PP every team has caught on to the Marner cross ice pass which is why he cannot get his shots away like he did at the beginning. If he does get the shot away, defensive players are either getting in the way or closing in faster due to learning his strategy. He also has been shooting more often over the past 5 games then he did at the beginning of the season, if it weren't for deflections, posts, blocked shots he would still be scoring. He's in a rut that's all, every star player goes through them. Crosby took almost 20 games to score his first goal of the season.

The cause of Matthews struggles has more to do with coaching decisions on linemates, and bad luck then being hurt.

It doesn't help that last game he hit two posts and had a goal called off either.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He used to rip that shot from everywhere..
Once he just crossed the blueline and let one go that beat the goalie short side....he never had time to move.
People forget how dominant this guy is when healthy. They think that point totals tell you the whole story.
He certainly hasn't looked right recently.

True, but the last few games he's looking better.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Matthews had bad luck against Nashville. Hitting the post in the 1st period when the score was 0-0, having his goal in the 2nd period disallowed because of the offside and hitting the side of the net in the 3rd period.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Matthews has to improve his defensive game.

He is a center, he must get in there and dislodge the puck from the other team in the defensive zone.

Too often he look likes Nylander out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad