The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLF

May 5, 2014
What I like about Matthews last night is how he went low with his first few shots as he realized goalies are staying taller trying to take away his bar down shot. Almost scored 2X because of it. This will start to open up the bar down shot again.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
My point is you can make an argument either way depending on what stats you use. That's why i trust my own eye test more. It is yet to be determined at this stage as both guys are 1997 births. McJesus is the better skater. Matty is the better shooter and 200 ft player. Those facts I am 100% sure about. Everything else will play out once Matty gets same ice and no injuries.
You can not make an argument that Mathews is better then McDavid using any stat. The eye test supports that McDavid is better as do the Stats. You attempted to use points per 60 as your proof and you were wrong.

McDavid is currently responsible for more then 50% of his teams offence. That is beyond insane. McDavid is the run away leader for the leagues MVP. It is 52.5% of the teams offense.

Matty is not the better 200 ft player. McDavid plays on a team that is a negative 13 and he is a plus player. Mathews has the better shot I will agree with that.

I love Mathews but he is in no way comparable to McDavid.

Let’s stop with the comparisons until they at least have some merit. Currently they do not.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You can not make an argument that Mathews is better then McDavid using any stat. The eye test supports that McDavid is better as do the Stats. You attempted to use points per 60 as your proof and you were wrong.

McDavid is currently responsible for more then 50% of his teams offence. That is beyond insane. McDavid is the run away leader for the leagues MVP. It is 52.5% of the teams offense.

Matty is not the better 200 ft player. McDavid plays on a team that is a negative 13 and he is a plus player. Mathews has the better shot I will agree with that.

I love Mathews but he is in no way comparable to McDavid.

Let’s stop with the comparisons until they at least have some merit. Currently they do not.

Agreed, Matthews>McDavid. Before he got injured last season, Matthews was so dominant it looked like it might become interesting but then he got injured, came back and wasn't quite the same, he's got a long way to go before this would become interesting again.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Like I said McJesus got and gets 4:30 seconds more per game in ice time. And for first 2 years he got 1st PP minutes too. These are extenuating circumstances beyond Matty's control. In other words it has been a very unequal competition. Yet he still has certain stats in his corner. McJesus should be totally blowing him away but he is not. On top of that injuries have affected his games played. It is still yet to be determined who the better player is. I stand by my opinions. I know of no one who claims Matty is not twice the 200 ft player McJesus is. This is not even close.

Reactions: AreBe

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Like I said McJesus got and gets 4:30 seconds more per game in ice time. And for first 2 years he got 1st PP minutes too. These are extenuating circumstances beyond Matty's control. In other words it has been a very unequal competition. Yet he still has certain stats in his corner. McJesus should be totally blowing him away but he is not. On top of that injuries have affected his games played. It is still yet to be determined who the better player is. I stand by my opinions. I know of no one who claims Matty is not twice the 200 ft player McJesus is. This is not even close.

You are using points/60. Why are you talking about time on ice?

Also you literally have zero facts to support your wild opinion.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Playing unconventionally high minutes is definitely not beneficiary for p/60. Barkov just recently said that he keeps losing puck battles that he shouldn't lose because he's tired due to his high usage and said he needs to learn to conserve his energy and stop engaging in as much battles.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Playing unconventionally high minutes is definitely not beneficiary for p/60. Barkov just recently said that he keeps losing puck battles that he shouldn't lose because he's tired due to his high usage and said he needs to learn to conserve his energy and stop engaging in as much battles.
Even Pat Quinn played Sundin less in order to keep him fresher. Shouldn't be something new to Leafs fans. Also worth mentioning, playing fewer minutes means less wear and tear, which helps with longevity..

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Love AM34 but he is surrounded by other elite talent. McJesus carries the entire Oiler offense and produces 100pt seasons.
We can all have nice things,

Reactions: glue

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Love AM34 but he is surrounded by other elite talent. McJesus carries the entire Oiler offense and produces 100pt seasons.

McJesus isn't surrounding by other elite talent? Im sure a player like Draisitle and RNH would have something to say about that. Not to mention players like Puliarjvi, Klefbom, Nurse aren't deadbeat players either.

I am not for one minute saying that McJesus isn't the best player in the NHL, but to state that he plays with no one that is elite is ludicrous. McDavid and Drai and RNH is about as elite as Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Ok we have Tavares now which gives us the edge. But McDavid also plays 24-27 minutes a night. Matthews too would break 100 pts if given that ice time.

Not really a good comparable.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
McJesus isn't surrounding by other elite talent? Im sure a player like Draisitle and RNH would have something to say about that. Not to mention players like Puliarjvi, Klefbom, Nurse aren't deadbeat players either.

I am not for one minute saying that McJesus isn't the best player in the NHL, but to state that he plays with no one that is elite is ludicrous. McDavid and Drai and RNH is about as elite as Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Ok we have Tavares now which gives us the edge. But McDavid also plays 24-27 minutes a night. Matthews too would break 100 pts if given that ice time.

I personally don't think Matthews would be doing what McDavid is if they swapped spots, increased ice time and all.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I personally don't think Matthews would be doing what McDavid is if they swapped spots, increased ice time and all.

Good to agree to disagree.

But if Matthews played 75% of his time next to Drai I think he too would still be racking up the points like McDavid is. McDavid plays the entire PP not just a minute of it. And Drai is better then Nylander as an all round player. Matthews would easily put up McDavid numbers playing his minutes if not more cause he can score more.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You are using points/60. Why are you talking about time on ice?

Also you literally have zero facts to support your wild opinion.
Basic math more minutes more points. More PP1 time more points. Less injuries less game recovery time. Matty is a beast his legs are maybe most powerful in league. He can easily handle 22-25 minutes a night at 22. Yes it may take 5-10 games to get there because Babs has coddled him to-date but it can be done very easily. Like I said when he takes over as world #1 in next year or so everyone can look back and say heh you heard it here first.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I too believe Matthews wins the scoring title and rocket Richard trophy the minute his bad injury luck comes to an end.

That really is the only thing keeping him from being the best player in the league.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Like I said I know of no one who claims Matty is not twice the 200 ft player McJesus is. This is not even close.

Do you only know Canuck and Habs fans? You are right... it's not even close now. McDavid is far and away the superior player. If you cannot admit that then you are letting your bias effect your position.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

He is carrying the Oilers. He is involved in53% of the teams offence. Drai and RNh and no where near as good as Marner and JT is is not even close. Then add in Rielly etc and the comparison is absured. Look at the goals scored for all you need to know.

53% of the teams offence. Last season Hall was the league MVP because he was involved in 39% of his teams offence. McDavid is carrying his team period!

Mc David has more then a half point per 60 minutes of ice time better then McDavid the last 3 season making your argument silly about ice time.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Basic math more minutes more points. More PP1 time more points. Less injuries less game recovery time. Matty is a beast his legs are maybe most powerful in league. He can easily handle 22-25 minutes a night at 22. Yes it may take 5-10 games to get there because Babs has coddled him to-date but it can be done very easily. Like I said when he takes over as world #1 in next year or so everyone can look back and say heh you heard it here first.
Basic math is done for you point per 60. Look it up. You attempted to use this but it was a fail. McDavid is clearly the better player which is not a slight against Mathews. Marner has been the Leafs best player since last year.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Good to agree to disagree.

But if Matthews played 75% of his time next to Drai I think he too would still be racking up the points like McDavid is. McDavid plays the entire PP not just a minute of it. And Drai is better then Nylander as an all round player. Matthews would easily put up McDavid numbers playing his minutes if not more cause he can score more.
Points per 60 disagree with your premise.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
McJesus isn't surrounding by other elite talent?

After watching a few Oilers games myself, after McDavid and Draisitle, there was a lot less there, which kind of explains why the Oilers are not a playoff team, and who already fired their coach.

Up front, Edmonton has two guys, real good, but after that just spare parts who are below average.

On defense, maybe they got two 2 guys in their top 4 D. That's about it. That's their team.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I'm not going to get in on the McDavid/Matthews in general but I will just say I don't think McDavid's performance is being hindered playing on the Oilers as some suggest, at least statistically. He is stapled to a better line-mate than Matthews has ever had and gets an absolutely absurd amount of powerplay time. Its a pretty perfect situation to max out on points, obviously not ideal in any other way but people who think he'd do better in Matthews spot points wise and Matthews would do worse in his, again statistically, are out to lunch.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017

Come on dude use your eyes. Drais and RNH are good. Puliavri has 4 goals.

Edmonton is a tire fire. Leafs are what third overall with what two three teams who are as deep?

Reactions: 22Brad Park

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Points. Divided. By. 60. Minutes. What do you think that is :laugh:

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
True, McDavid did have hall for his rookie season before chai traded him.

Crazy to think that if the Oilers did nothing and drafted bpa they have an offense right now of

McDavid, hall, draisitl, Barzal, RNH

They could have been real scary.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->