OT: The Menu Part 5 Gritty's Kitchen and Lou's Tavern edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I just finished my third batch of ramen broth. Going to try a spicy miso ramen this time. I stray from recipes pretty quickly, but this one is almost entirely my own. Basic instant pot broth with vegetable trimmings, rotisserie carcas, thigh bones, nori, bonito, garlic/ginger, mirin and soy.

How's your luck been with ramen? I've only tried to make tonkotsu, but I've done so a few times and it always feels a little off -- missing some depth, etc.

I've actually had much better results with pho, which apparently is not normal.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
How's your luck been with ramen? I've only tried to make tonkotsu, but I've done so a few times and it always feels a little off -- missing some depth, etc.

I've actually had much better results with pho, which apparently is not normal.
I’ve had awesome results. I am not holding myself to any specific style or recipe. Just taking some inspiration which helps I think. I don’t often have OG, traditional ramen around here anyway but one place did just open near me.

Anyway, I’ve done one shoyu style with a spicy ground pork I made and one “tonkotsu” style with pork tenderloin I roasted. I actually used the same tare for both because I made too much the first time.

I am going to try Pho soon too. Probably with steak or shrimp.

I’m assuming you mean the broth lacks some depth. I think bonito flakes adds a ton of flavor. The instant pot does well to give you depth quickly, but maybe your tare is off too because that is where the biggest flavor comes from. I was not conservatice with the amount of soy and sake I used.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I’ve had awesome results. I am not holding myself to any specific style or recipe. Just taking some inspiration which helps I think. I don’t often have OG, traditional ramen around here anyway but one place did just open near me.

Anyway, I’ve done one shoyu style with a spicy ground pork I made and one “tonkotsu” style with pork tenderloin I roasted. I actually used the same tare for both because I made too much the first time.

I’m assuming you mean the broth lacks some depth. I think bonito flakes adds a ton of flavor. The instant pot does well to give you depth quickly, but maybe your tare is off too because that is where the biggest flavor comes from. I was not conservatice with the amount of soy and sake I used.

This reads like the most intellectual response I've ever read on this website. We're gonna need you to dummy it down for the rest of us.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
This reads like the most intellectual response I've ever read on this website. We're gonna need you to dummy it down for the rest of us.

He’s actually an idiot. Don’t worry. It was probably copy and pasted.

I'm still trying to understand what he typed. To me, it sounds like he ordered a getto version of Chinese Food.

All's I know, in about 1 hr, I'll be getting the house lo mein from my local Chinese place.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Yes, depth of flavor in the broth. Not as much umami as I wanted either.

I think you're on the right track with the tare. I started with some recipes that looked good and jumped off from there as well. Based on suggestions from others, I think I'm going to try adding some niboshi to the tare (shoyu) next time.

The pho we've done was a multiple day monstrosity, but my god is it worth it. Won't make it when ox tails are unavailable anymore, though. It's just too good. When I have time to do it properly, I like to save some pho broth to braise short ribs in another night. So many ways to use it, all good.

Reactions: landsbergfan

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Yes, depth of flavor in the broth. Not as much umami as I wanted either.

I think you're on the right track with the tare. I started with some recipes that looked good and jumped off from there as well. Based on suggestions from others, I think I'm going to try adding some niboshi to the tare (shoyu) next time.

The pho we've done was a multiple day monstrosity, but my god is it worth it. Won't make it when ox tails are unavailable anymore, though. It's just too good. When I have time to do it properly, I like to save some pho broth to braise short ribs in another night. So many ways to use it, all good.
Nice. fwiw I used soy sauce, slices of garlic/ginger, sake, mirin, and these. Simple and delicious

https://www.amazon.com/Katsuobushi-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3YC6SB46SB6HWG9NA3S9

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
IHOP Free Pancake Day, March 12, 2019 - Mark the Calendar

Mark your calender, March 12 Tuesday, basically 2 weeks from this tuesday.

It's Free Pancake day at IHOP, I will be there. I will eat no less then free 12 pancakes. I been doing this for about 6 yrs.

They want about 3 to 4 bucks towards the chairty they do to the kids, but that's all you gotta pay.

The most I ever eaten was 4 yrs ago 22 pancakes.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Last night I made pan fried chicken topped with carmelized onions mild cheddar and bacon. Turned out good. Can't use breading so I use this spice combo for the wife that blackens the chicken without burning or turning bitter. I should have taken a picture

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Made a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel in preparation for sitting all day in front of the tv watching the trade deadline show.

Anyone have any dinner suggestions I’m all ears

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Speaking of breakfast sandwiches, I started meal-prepping some for myself.

All I use is:
English muffins
Slice of American cheese
Eggbeaters
Turkey breakfast sausage (tastes the same as normal but less greasy)

Toast the English muffin, cook the sausage on the stove, and cook eggbeaters in a muffin tin in the oven until it’s not wet. Then let all parts cool completely, assemble all the parts with a piece of cheese in the middle, wrap it in paper towel and then aluminum foil, and then toss it in the freezer.
The night before you eat it, take the sandwich out of the freezer and leave it in the fridge overnight. Then remove aluminum foil and microwave in paper towel for a minute.

Came out pretty good and just 250 calories each.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Last night I made pan fried chicken topped with carmelized onions mild cheddar and bacon. Turned out good. Can't use breading so I use this spice combo for the wife that blackens the chicken without burning or turning bitter. I should have taken a picture

Blackened anything is my jam - love it. Need to have some soon, it has been far too long.

Reactions: Magua and klutch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad