OT: The Menu Part 5 Gritty's Kitchen and Lou's Tavern edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Made a pizza in my new cast iron pan. Sausage, onion, and green pepper.

My 3rd attempt. The first two times I used too much dough and it was a mess, but this time it was absolutely perfect.

7702670fe775684a03239fda6d97aa93.jpg

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Made a pizza in my new cast iron pan. Sausage, onion, and green pepper.

My 3rd attempt. The first two times I used too much dough and it was a mess, but this time it was absolutely perfect.

7702670fe775684a03239fda6d97aa93.jpg
That looks delicious! How much dough did you use? I messed mine up the time I tried making cast iron pizza

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That looks delicious! How much dough did you use? I messed mine up the time I tried making cast iron pizza

Here's the quick way I did it (completely made up by me by trail and error, not from any recipe):

Prep work...
-Take half pound of dough out of refrigerator 2 hours before starting to cook and let it rise under some lose plastic wrap
-After two hours, put a tiny bit of olive oil on the counter (just so it doesn't stick and rip) and carefully spread out dough into a circle slightly larger than the size of the cast iron pan (its ok if it's really thin, so long as there's no holes, because it'll rise in the oven)
-Remove casing from two Italian sausages
-Thinly slice some white onion and green pepper
-melt a little butter in pan to brush on crust
-Set aside about 1/2 cup of pasta/pizza sauce and try to find whole milk, low moisture, mozzarella cheese

When ready...
-Preheat oven to 500F
-Preheat cast iron pan on stove at about medium heat
-put a little vegetable oil in the cast iron pan and cook Italian sausage until fully cooked and broken up into little chunks
-remove Italian sausage from pan but leave all the leftover oil in the pan (helps crisp up the bottom of the pizza)
-place dough in pan (careful since it should still be hot) and spread it across the entire bottom
-add sauce, cheese, sausage, onions, and peppers, leaving half an inch of crust on edges
-brush half of melted butter on edges
-place in oven until top is golden brown (like in my picture) and if it bubbles up anywhere just pop it with a knife
-remove from oven and brush remaining butter on bare crust
-wait a few minutes for it to cool and then carefully transfer to a cutting board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad