HF Habs: The Martin Saint-Louis thread: Winning Streak Edition

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Chantal Machabée was on 91.9 Sports this morning and gave some updates on some of the injured players.

And before the segment ended, she shared a story about MSL. She said that after the game against Buffalo, Suzuki was the 1st star and he was doing a TV interview. MSL was calling for him and Chantal told him that he was doing his interview. Marty asked her to tell him to go into the room right after, and he also told her to come in the room with her communications team to be there for the team meeting.

She said that Marty gave the team a speech after that win and she said she had goosebumps. She said she felt a little out of place being part of a team meeting.

Last night when they were prepping for the TLMEP interview, Chantal thanked Marty for letting her coms team be part of that. But she asked why he did that. Marty told her that they're all part of the team and that is what you do to change the culture.

I hope they sometimes record his speech and share it online

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Chantal Machabée was on 91.9 Sports this morning and gave some updates on some of the injured players.

And before the segment ended, she shared a story about MSL. She said that after the game against Buffalo, Suzuki was the 1st star and he was doing a TV interview. MSL was calling for him and Chantal told him that he was doing his interview. Marty asked her to tell him to go into the room right after, and he also told her to come in the room with her communications team to be there for the team meeting.

She said that Marty gave the team a speech after that win and she said she had goosebumps. She said she felt a little out of place being part of a team meeting.

Last night when they were prepping for the TLMEP interview, Chantal thanked Marty for letting her coms team be part of that. But she asked why he did that. Marty told her that they're all part of the team and that is what you do to change the culture.
This, is very interesting....good on Marty for trying to do his part and then some on changing the culture within the organization.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs good team Flames win show it. We would of played better in Winnipeg but Montembeault stunk the joint out. We scored 4 goals against good goalie.

Reactions: Max2

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Don't know how it didn't hit me before but St-Louis replaced his former UofV teammate as Habs coach. Duh. And just as St-Louis upstaged Ducharme with the Catamounts (he has been there top scorer for 2 years until MSL took over for the next 2) he is doing that as Habs coach right now lol

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Habs good team Flames win show it. We would of played better in Winnipeg but Montembeault stunk the joint out. We scored 4 goals against good goalie.
Love Monty but he was awful in that game.It happens

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It's becoming clear that MSL isn't just some former NHL star getting the coach role because Montreal was desperate for a new voice in the room. He's been training for this job his whole career. MSL is going to be running this team someday.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's becoming clear that MSL isn't just some former NHL star getting the coach role because Montreal was desperate for a new voice in the room. He's been training for this job his whole career. MSL is going to be running this team someday.

The coach and GM are such important roles.

Glad we have gem like MSL as coach. Hopefully we keep him in the organization for a long time.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Maybe I’m different, but I would always find joy in going to a job that pays me $6.5 million per year.

I've been at both ends of the spectrum. From a struggling University student, eating Mac N Cheese, almost every meal. To a somewhat successful business owner, able to now buy expensive ketchups and hotdogs for my Mac N Cheese. :)

Before this becomes a long boring essay. Having money doesn't always equate to greater happiness. Yes I'm happy that I'm able to provide for my family. Yes I'm happy that I've been able to accomplish things, I could only dream about when I was younger.

At the same time, like Petry. I've had to spend days, even weeks away from my family. To accomplish what I have. While away, I've eaten in nice restaurants, and slept in the nicest motels. While dreaming of being at home eating one of my wife's horrible meatloafs.

The bonus is, I've enjoyed what I'd done. I can't imagine being in a situation like Petry's. Where your family is so upset, they have to leave. While being in a work environment you can't stand.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A lot of people defended Therrien and Julien over the years on the basis that most posters here couldn't name better potential coaches.

Well ...

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

It's pretty obvious that the organization and the players are utterly in love with him and for good reason. It plays directly into how I kept harping about culture and how it was getting dismissed in the name of tank culture earlier this year. I am brilliant.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've been at both ends of the spectrum. From a struggling University student, eating Mac N Cheese, almost every meal. To a somewhat successful business owner, able to now buy expensive ketchups and hotdogs for my Mac N Cheese. :)

Before this becomes a long boring essay. Having money doesn't always equate to greater happiness. Yes I'm happy that I'm able to provide for my family. Yes I'm happy that I've been able to accomplish things, I could only dream about when I was younger.

At the same time, like Petry. I've had to spend days, even weeks away from my family. To accomplish what I have. While away, I've eaten in nice restaurants, and slept in the nicest motels. While dreaming of being at home eating one of my wife's horrible meatloafs.

The bonus is, I've enjoyed what I'd done. I can't imagine being in a situation like Petry's. Where your family is so upset, they have to leave. While being in a work environment you can't stand.
As my dad would say, as long as you go from nothing to next to nothing you're coming out ahead in life ;)

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
A lot of people defended Therrien and Julien over the years on the basis that most posters here couldn't name better potential coaches.

Well ...
Man if this really works out in the long term as well as the early returns have been there's going to be a lot of very nervous coaches around the NHL lol

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Its been 10 games since MSL took over, so I thought I'd post a 5v5 comparison of the Habs under him vs. Ducharme (PP and PK stats have generally been terrible under both):

GPPointsCF%FF%GF%xGF%HDCF%SH%SV%PDO
Martin St. Louis101250.2950.4757.551.3250.279.24931.022
Dominique Ducharme452346.845.6638.244.6145.776.6690.760.974
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Man if this really works out in the long term as well as the early returns have been there's going to be a lot of very nervous coaches around the NHL lol

Why?

It's rare for star players to become good coaches.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not drawing too many far reaching conclusions based on this small sample, but it's just reaffirmed what i've always believed and it's that most NHL coaches "over coach".

In 2022, it's much more about managing personalities and egos, than strategy and Xs & Os.

Based on what you hear coming out of player's mouths in post game scrums, you can tell where MSL is making the biggest difference.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm not drawing too many far reaching conclusions based on this small sample, but it's just reaffirmed what i've always believed and it's that most NHL coaches "over coach".

In 2022, it's much more about managing personalities and egos, than strategy and Xs & Os.

Based on what you hear coming out of player's mouths in post game scrums, you can tell where MSL is making the biggest difference.
It does kinda add to the ''players are perfectly capable of doing the Xs and Os themself'' notion that I've always had. Outside of pro football and soccer, which are a different beast entirely and tend to require a lot more coaching.

Reactions: JoelWarlord and 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad