HF Habs: The Martin Saint-Louis thread: Winning Streak Edition

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
FMhwysHXMAcWTP9

FMiazQzXIAAVGSU

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Just my usual browsing of hockeydb..... did you guys know MSL played two years at Uvermont with DD??

You're right. Weird how that came together. Tim Thomas was also on that Vermont team, which I find funny since bernie sanders was a house Rep for Vermont at the time.

Reactions: themilosh

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Chantal Machabée was on 91.9 Sports this morning and gave some updates on some of the injured players.

And before the segment ended, she shared a story about MSL. She said that after the game against Buffalo, Suzuki was the 1st star and he was doing a TV interview. MSL was calling for him and Chantal told him that he was doing his interview. Marty asked her to tell him to go into the room right after, and he also told her to come in the room with her communications team to be there for the team meeting.

She said that Marty gave the team a speech after that win and she said she had goosebumps. She said she felt a little out of place being part of a team meeting.

Last night when they were prepping for the TLMEP interview, Chantal thanked Marty for letting her coms team be part of that. But she asked why he did that. Marty told her that they're all part of the team and that is what you do to change the culture.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

This comment show us how toxic the environment was with Ducharme at the helm.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprise at all if MSL could have been the difference maker last year in the Stanley Cup finals for us. Having a real coach with the way Carey Price was playing could have made the difference imo. I still don't get it.... Why was Tatar not in the lineup????

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This comment show us how toxic the environment was with Ducharme at the helm.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprise at all if MSL could have been the difference maker last year in the Stanley Cup finals for us. Having a real coach with the way Carey Price was playing could have made the difference imo. I still don't get it.... Why was Tatar not in the lineup????
Tatar is a liability in the playoffs, that wasn't the wrong decision. The wrong call was playing Staal over KK (wouldn't have made a difference in the final outcome, to be honest), and not playing Romanov.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah for you and I. But I’d find it difficult to be really bothered playing hockey for millions. This isn’t an office job. You play 22 minutes in a 60 minute game and are a millionaire. Life should be great.

Same reason millionaires can still have depression.

How many musicians get mental issues despite being paid millions to do their hobby?

If the ambience on the ice suck, it sucks.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Maybe I’m different, but I would always find joy in going to a job that pays me $6.5 million per year.
The more I get paid for a job the more accountability people put in me. I am good under pressure, but I have colleagues that had to revert their career path and never made it as Directors because of it. Double the money, but also not sleeping at every deadline. Steve Begin could do no wrong but we treated 80 pt Kovalev like someone who showed up 1/4 games (360 pt player, I guess…). 10M$ Price’s evaluation criteria are “wins stanley cup by himself yes/no”.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Same reason millionaires can still have depression.

How many musicians get mental issues despite being paid millions to do their hobby?

If the ambience on the ice suck, it sucks.

But he’s not depressed. He just didn’t like a coach. Depression I get. But all of a sudden he’s having fun again as if he was playing for a despot. The team wasn’t being screamed at and bag skated all season.

Everyone else was in the same situation. He was visibly affected, we saw it with his on ice play. He really was playing half-assed all year. It screams mopey to me.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
But he’s not depressed. He just didn’t like a coach. Depression I get. But all of a sudden he’s having fun again as if he was playing for a despot. The team wasn’t being screamed at and bag skated all season.

Everyone else was in the same situation. He was visibly affected, we saw it with his on ice play. He really was playing half-assed all year. It screams mopey to me.

He's not the only one. They had tuned the coach out and just going through the motion.

Reactions: Andrei79

Jul 6, 2016
You're definitely different. Salary has no impact on if a job is fun or not.

Peytry totally lacked respect towards the organisation, his teamates, the fans, and the coaching staff by not showing up for 50 games.

I really hope he's gonna be traded anyway. Habs don't need that type of "leadership"" !!!

Reactions: amethyst

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
From todays The Athletic:

One of Martin St. Louis’ coaching mentors sees him breaking down doors again

There is a sure-fire way to know that a coach’s message is getting through to the players, and that is when the players start to sound like the coach when answering questions from the media. When they start using the same terminology, pointing out the same priorities.
When Martin St. Louis talks, he definitely has a certain language that is unique to him. He loves to say how a player “takes care of the team,” as he said again Saturday night about Artturi Lehkonen. But he has other catchphrases and terms that he has quickly ingrained in his players’ minds.
“I think a good practice at any level has the same qualities. To me, it’s got to be fun. It’s got to be game-like. If you’re going to transfer what you’re doing in practice into the game, then there’s got to be certain attributes of the practice that are there daily, right? It’s harder to do, obviously, at the NHL level because you don’t have as many (practices) and you’re trying to manage the physical output of the players, trying to manage that because it’s a long season, injuries. But those have to be fun, it’s got to be game-like, there’s got to be constant decision-making because we know that’s what allows players to really separate themselves from the pack, is if they read the game properly and well and under pressure and under conflict.”
That quote is not from Martin St. Louis. It is from Roger Grillo, who has known St. Louis since he was 15. But it would not be difficult to imagine St. Louis saying the exact same thing.
The influence is obvious.
Grillo was an assistant coach when he recruited St. Louis to the University of Vermont and the two have been tight ever since; Grillo was at the last two Canadiens home games sitting in the stands with St. Louis’ father, Normand. Grillo is now a regional manager of the American Development Model for USA Hockey. He has watched St. Louis develop as a player and transfer the passion he had to improve as a player to doing the same as a coach. It is something Grillo saw in him back in Burlington, Vt., when St. Louis was playing for him at UVM.
“It was constant,” Grillo said Friday. “It was constant conversations and dialogue about the game, about what he needed to do, how to make himself better, how to make the team better. I mean, he was just always super, super engaged and always wanted to know why, and what, and when, and how.
“And so I think he was always building a library of information that he knew one day he would use. And I think he’s drawing upon every single experience he’s had. He’s one of the best I’ve ever seen at being able to juggle his experience as a young player, his experience as an older player, all the coaches he’s been around, all the different environments and cultures he’s been around in the NHL and before.”
One area of focus from St. Louis in practice has been a reliance on small area games, shrinking the ice to emphasize decision-making in tight quarters and re-enacting game situations. The players enjoy it because it’s fun, it’s competitive, and the coach likes it because he is developing the players’ hockey IQ. Small area games have another benefit, however, and it is something USA Hockey stresses to their coaches all the time. They are the most efficient way to take advantage of limited ice time, which is the case in youth hockey because ice time is scarce, but also in the NHL because they have so many games to play and so much travel. It is one thing that translates quite well from one level to another.
“What’s the best way to maximize those opportunities? Check as many boxes as you can in one 45-minute session,” Grillo said. “And to me, that’s all those attributes I said before, having fun, competing, game-like, decision-making, conflict, problem-solving. Checking off all those boxes in one 45-minute session, the easiest way to do that, and then manage the physical output because you’re shrinking the size of what you’re using, you’re not going 200 by 85 (feet), is through small area games.
“It’s a very valuable, positive way to really create a forward-thinking, forward-moving, player-development, individual-player-centered, team-focused culture that really has a huge impact.”
Grillo is uncomfortable saying he had a big influence on St. Louis as a coach, preferring instead to say they have had an influence on each other. But when Grillo watches St. Louis embark on his NHL coaching career, it is the influence he will have on other coaches and the way we look at the pool of potential NHL coaches, the path necessary to get there, that interests Grillo the most.
“I’m not surprised that he’s loving it, that he is absolutely thriving in that world, because that’s just how he’s wired,” Grillo said. “And he’s the perfect fit for it. I mean, he’s really good. And I think he’s the type of person, just like he was as a player, where he’s going to have an impact not only on the people that are directly around him, but he’ll have a larger impact. The ripples will go further out in different ways.
“As a player, he opened doors for smaller players, he opened doors for people that weren’t drafted, people that weren’t thought of as being superstars at a young age that had hurdles and adversity in their career that he overcame. So he opened a lot of doors, made people step back and think, and I think that’s the same path he is going to have on the coaching world as well.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad