HF Habs: The Martin Saint-Louis thread: Winning Streak Edition

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Even if the players are playing well one month down the line, I don't think it's much of a milestone to read into.

The moment when the media gets on him, the players are struggling, and the honeymoon is done, we will get a much better glimpse into what kind of bench boss the habs got, based on how, or if they get out of it.
Coaches who come in and have immediate drastic improvement generally have short shelf life. It gets to be old hat very quick. We see where we are with MSL next December before knowing what we have. I have seen this happen many times before.

Mario Tremblay holds Montreal record for most consecutive wins to start coaching career. Over greats like Bowman, Blake, Burns or Irvin. But Tremblay generally regarded as one of worst to coach here. He made a lot of great moves early, but burned out fast.

Michel Therrien came on fast in 2002 also, taking the worst seed in playoffs to first round upset of powerful Bruins team. Zednik in playoffs was playing like Caufield is now. He also is regarded as a bad coach. Jean Perron won a cup first year with Habs. He is considered a joke of a coach. Jacques Lemaire came on in '84 and took last seed in playoffs to upset of top team in league. Then beat Nordiques in a memorable series. He also took Habs deep against Islanders dynasty. The media ran him out of town next season as team backslid.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Going by MSL character. He is very competitive. Also, I think Petry requested the trade prior to MSL. Way he has been playing he may reascend.

And yet everything he's said is about teaching and learning instead of winning now. And again in what world does the interim head coach decide who gets traded?

Petry didn't ask to be traded because he was playing bad or because he didn't like Ducharme it's because of his family situation. Winning 4 games doesn't change that.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
And yet everything he's said is about teaching and learning instead of winning now. And again in what world does the interim head coach decide who gets traded?

Petry didn't ask to be traded because he was playing bad or because he didn't like Ducharme it's because of his family situation. Winning 4 games doesn't change that.
Petry is gone for sure..............more than likely this summer, unless there is deal at the deadline they can't refuse.
People underestimate a vet's life getting turned upside down like Petry's and his wife's role in his career...he will be playing for a US based team, fairly soon. The reason.........Covid.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Coaches who come in and have immediate drastic improvement generally have short shelf life. It gets to be old hat very quick. We see where we are with MSL next December before knowing what we have. I have seen this happen many times before.

Mario Tremblay holds Montreal record for most consecutive wins to start coaching career. Over greats like Bowman, Blake, Burns or Irvin. But Tremblay generally regarded as one of worst to coach here. He made a lot of great moves early, but burned out fast.

Michel Therrien came on fast in 2002 also, taking the worst seed in playoffs to first round upset of powerful Bruins team. Zednik in playoffs was playing like Caufield is now. He also is regarded as a bad coach. Jean Perron won a cup first year with Habs. He is considered a joke of a coach. Jacques Lemaire came on in '84 and took last seed in playoffs to upset of top team in league. Then beat Nordiques in a memorable series. He also took Habs deep against Islanders dynasty. The media ran him out of town next season as team backslid.
Can’t argue w those historical facts, however, every coach since Scotty has been a taskmaster which was fine for that era of player. However, taskmasters have a shelf life - all coaches do but especially bad cops who live on command & control strategy.

MSL seems tailor made for this generation of player, strategic approach & personality wise - he’s very Jon Cooper-esque.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Petry is gone for sure..............more than likely this summer, unless there is deal at the deadline they can't refuse.
People underestimate a vet's life getting turned upside down like Petry's and his wife's role in his career...he will be playing for a US based team, fairly soon. The reason.........Covid.
Let’s just leave it at I disagree.

Reactions: BLONG7

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
No worries...let's hope I am wrong.....might just be married guys always make sure she is happy!! lol
The older players, wives, always drive the bus.
I would 100% agree w your take if restrictions were going to remain in place, but having reached endemic stage + Gorton’s carefully timed messaging around org focusing on looking after players families & well being, and Petry now having a coach whose game plays to his strengths…

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Lemaire hated medias. Part of his job (that he hated) was the press conference and having to discuss strategy and coaching with journalists. He hated their pretentious attitude, the francos and the anglos both of them. Lemaire couldn't deal with that. That side of his personality came with his genious in hockey IQ and we lost him because of some pedantic journalists. Imagine him today with Marinero, Defoy or even Lavoie.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I would 100% agree w your take if restrictions were going to remain in place, but having reached endemic stage + Gorton’s carefully timed messaging around org focusing on looking after players families & well being, and Petry now having a coach whose game plays to his strengths…
If Petry is playing well enough, it means he can be traded for another first round player. So is Chiarot, btw. Let's see who we can get between 15th to 30 : Gauthier, Kasper, Korchinsky, Ohgren, Snuggerrud, Chesley, Mintyukov, Mesar, Gaucher, Mateychuk, Perevalov, Luneau, Hughes and Pickering.
Who are your choices?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Going by MSL character. He is very competitive. Also, I think Petry requested the trade prior to MSL. Way he has been playing he may reascend.

Him playing well opens up flexibility, so it's a good thing. Whether he still wants to be traded is something we don't know, but a guy in his mid 30s who has not tasted the cup yet usually does not enter a rebuilding program.

It's a different environment than the one he signed in, and if there are family considerations, then that makes it more likely that he won't rescind his request.

I think it's more likely that he still wants out.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Him playing well opens up flexibility, so it's a good thing. Whether he still wants to be traded is something we don't know, but a guy in his mid 30s who has not tasted the cup yet usually does not enter a rebuilding program.

It's a different environment than the one he signed in, and if there are family considerations, then that makes it more likely that he won't rescind his request.

I think it's more likely that he still wants out.
An American who’s spent his entire NHL career playing in Canada, where hockey matters - including foregoing UFA opportunities twice to bolt for a US market.

How will he take to hockey being out of sight / out of mind sport in a US locale? Because he clearly hasn’t been affected by the hockey microscope of Canadian markets (no whining / complaining), and actually seems thrive on it…

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
An American who’s spent his entire NHL career playing in Canada, where hockey matters - including foregoing UFA opportunities twice to boot for the US.

How will he take to hockey being out of sight / out of mind sport in another locale? Because he clearly hasn’t been affected by the hockey microscope of Canadian markets and actually seems to like it…

Things never really panned out in Edmonton for him. He resigned with Montreal the first time because he loved tasting the playoffs for the first time, and the habs were a good team.

The 2nd time he signed, the habs still had Weber, and price in their core, and they were still signing guys for competing in the present, so I think he still signed with the intention that the habs will continue to move forward instead of backwards.

But now, it seems inevitable that the team has to move backwards, and the toffoli deal is an indication of that already. I don't think this is something that a guy like Petry would have much interest in going through at this stage of his career. He doesn't have the time to move backwards anymore if he has stanley cup aspirations.

Reactions: zeeto and JAVO16

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Things never really panned out in Edmonton for him. He resigned with Montreal the first time because he loved tasting the playoffs for the first time, and the habs were a good team.

The 2nd time he signed, the habs still had Weber, and price in their core, and they were still signing guys for competing in the present, so I think he still signed with the intention that the habs will continue to move forward instead of backwards.

But now, it seems inevitable that the team has to move backwards, and the toffoli deal is an indication of that already. I don't think this is something that a guy like Petry would have much interest in going through at this stage of his career. He doesn't have the time to move backwards anymore if he has stanley cup aspirations.
He waived UFA in 2005 because his wife wanted to stay in Mtl - Holland was opening up the coffers to bring him home.

His wife & kids again wanted to stay, kids in their French schools missed their friends when he re-upped last year.

I’m not 100% convinced he’s gone, unless there’s a deal Hughes obviously can’t refuse.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He waived UFA in 2005 because his wife wanted to stay in Mtl - Holland was opening up the coffers to bring him home.

His wife & kids again wanted to stay, kids in their French schools missed their friends when he re-upped last year.

I’m not 100% convinced he’s gone, unless there’s a deal Hughes obviously can’t refuse.

And now his wife and kids moved to the USA.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Stanley Cup aspiration is forf Lightnings or Avs. Petry had such an horrible season he would move anywhere with a team entering in the PO. At this point, any team have a chance. Being there would be enough.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Stanley Cup aspiration is forf Lightnings or Avs. Petry had such an horrible season he would move anywhere with a team entering in the PO. At this point, any team have a chance. Being there would be enough.

Some teams are prime contenders, while others are good, and also have a shot at it. In either case, I qualify both categories of teams to have stanley cup aspirations for the purposes of this discussion.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Some teams are prime contenders, while others are good, and also have a shot at it. In either case, I qualify both categories of teams to have stanley cup aspirations for the purposes of this discussion.
Yes. If Montreal has been a SC finalist when they were the 16th team, any team entering the PO have a serious chance. It can be Avs, Wild, Kings, NYI, Panthers, Anaheim, any team. Except Boston or our nearest opponent in the east.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Strictly because of Covid restrictions which are ending.

I think it was also the whole French thing. If I'm not mistaken in her post a while back, she mentioned that she would sometimes go to a store and they'd refuse to serve her in English or something along those lines.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Not so easy Petry’s kids are in school…
It's like everything was done to move Petry. Not seing his kids, hockey players are not robots.
We must ask his wife why the kids are not in Mtl.
You know what? I feel like a lady talking to another lady (oh what happen with the kids and they can't see their father, etc) and I am in a hockey forum tabarnak. And it's related to hockey and pertinent, oh MG!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yes. If Montreal has been a SC finalist when they were the 16th team, any team entering the PO have a serious chance. It can be Avs, Wild, Kings, NYI, Panthers, Anaheim, any team. Except Boston or our nearest opponent in the east.

It was a pandemic shortened season, where the habs played an extreme schedule in the final few weeks of the season.... We will likely never see that type of scheduling again.

There were just too many extra variables in the 2021 season that I don't even try to draw any relationships from it to the typical nhl seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: