HF Habs: The Martin Saint-Louis thread: Winning Streak Edition

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Shane Wright is said to be his clone. Go on draft board for more info

We'll see. Just a few weeks ago, people were shitting on him for his slow first half.

He's closer to Hischier/Hughes/Lafreniere than Matthews/McDavid/Mackinnon.

Also:
From the Point: Frontenacs centre Shane Wright – CHL
JHM: How important is it for you to hang on to your first-overall status?
SW: I think it is super important. I think it is something I have still earned and positioned throughout the year.
My play throughout the year has shown me to be in that spot. Right now, I need to keep up my play and what I am doing. I think I will be fine. I think I deserve to have that honour right now. The draft is still a long way away and there is a lot of time between now and then, but I am confident with myself and that that is the place I deserve to be.

Daigle vibe.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is just messing up our draft pick. We end up with another Galchenyuk instead of a franchise player like an 18 year old Bergeron type.

Ok, but what are you going to do?

You'll never get players or coaches to lose on purpose. You can trade assets - and they are. Toffoli gone. I see Chiarot next, good chance other vets maybe Gallagher or Petry go too. We "sat" Price all year when in my opinion, if playoffs were starting in any of ~Dec/Jan/Feb - he'd probably have been playing, so I could see Price/Habs maybe taking their time a bit (ie, help with the tank).

For those who want to tank - all you can really ask for is "trade older vets/bad contracts for picks/prospects" and I think that is absolutely continuing. Beyond that - you can't ask the remaining roster to lose on purpose.

Habs will still finish bottom 5 in league, and then it's about the draft lottery. Maybe we get lucky, maybe we don't.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The reason Marty is there now is to implement his philosophy now before training camp, to get a head start on next season

Reactions: tazsub3

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I expect things to get a lot tougher assuming both Byron and Anderson are out. Granted, we play Ottawa next so I do think we’ll win, but once the selling starts, I don’t think even MSL’s magic will last.

Just wish he came here like 3 months ago. We may actually be competing for a wild card spot.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
In 7 games under MSL

Caufield: 10 points, 20 shots on goal, 17:03 of ice time per game and he's +5
Suzuki: 6 points, 21:22 of ice time per game, 60.5% in faceoff, +3
Anderson and Petry: 5 points.
Every regular has a point other than Romanov but he's +2 with 21:25 of ice-time

Montembeault is 3-2-0 with a 93.8% SV and a GAA of 1.99 GAA

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Montembeault is becomming a legit goaltender. As they say, name me a winning coach and I'll name you a winning goaltenter. Monty improved progressivly and today I consider him a real goaltender. Too soon to say if he's #1 material or solid back-up but he belongs to the nhl.

Reactions: FloJack and Toene

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
We'll see. Just a few weeks ago, people were shitting on him for his slow first half.

He's closer to Hischier/Hughes/Lafreniere than Matthews/McDavid/Mackinnon.

Also:
From the Point: Frontenacs centre Shane Wright – CHL
JHM: How important is it for you to hang on to your first-overall status?
SW: I think it is super important. I think it is something I have still earned and positioned throughout the year.
My play throughout the year has shown me to be in that spot. Right now, I need to keep up my play and what I am doing. I think I will be fine. I think I deserve to have that honour right now. The draft is still a long way away and there is a lot of time between now and then, but I am confident with myself and that that is the place I deserve to be.

Daigle vibe.
He have nothing to do with Daigle, absolutely nothing. Everyone who knows him have a lot of good things to say on his character/Leadership qualities. Daigle.. man I’m from Victoriaville where he played JNR and I have MANY stories that I will keep for myself

Reactions: FloJack

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The reason Marty is there now is to implement his philosophy now before training camp, to get a head start on next season

I'm pretty sure the reason Marty is here now is because Ducharme was hurting the development of Caufield, and Suzuki.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
This is just messing up our draft pick. We end up with another Galchenyuk instead of a franchise player like an 18 year old Bergeron type.

This isn't an issue at all.

- Even if we finish last, we only have a 1 in 6 chance of getting first overall
- There isn't a huge difference in talent in the top 5
- We will be selling off veterans in the next few weeks and wins will be harder to come by after that
- Even if we draft 4th or 5th, we finally have a coach and management who are concerned with developing young players instead of playing veteran plugs like Desharnais/Flynn/Dwight King etc. so odds are better than we will see our prospects properly develop unlike how Galchenyuk/Kotkaniemi were handled

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ok, but what are you going to do?

You'll never get players or coaches to lose on purpose. You can trade assets - and they are. Toffoli gone. I see Chiarot next, good chance other vets maybe Gallagher or Petry go too. We "sat" Price all year when in my opinion, if playoffs were starting in any of ~Dec/Jan/Feb - he'd probably have been playing, so I could see Price/Habs maybe taking their time a bit (ie, help with the tank).

For those who want to tank - all you can really ask for is "trade older vets/bad contracts for picks/prospects" and I think that is absolutely continuing. Beyond that - you can't ask the remaining roster to lose on purpose.

Habs will still finish bottom 5 in league, and then it's about the draft lottery. Maybe we get lucky, maybe we don't.
Dont have to lose on purpose. Stay way it was. St.Louis honeymoon will be burned out by next season.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This isn't an issue at all.

- Even if we finish last, we only have a 1 in 6 chance of getting first overall
- There isn't a huge difference in talent in the top 5
- We will be selling off veterans in the next few weeks and wins will be harder to come by after that
- Even if we draft 4th or 5th, we finally have a coach and management who are concerned with developing young players instead of playing veteran plugs like Desharnais/Flynn/Dwight King etc. so odds are better than we will see our prospects properly develop unlike how Galchenyuk/Kotkaniemi were handled
All you are doing is screwing yourself out of a franchise player. Along with mess up your trade deadline. You can't trade Petry now. These few wins are too late for this season. Time to introduce St.Louis would have been next September.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
All you are doing is screwing yourself out of a franchise player. Along with mess up your trade deadline. You can't trade Petry now. These few wins are too late for this season. Time to introduce St.Louis would have been next September.

Why can't we trade Petry now? Has he even rescinded his trade request?

If we go from last to 4th last place our odds of getting that 1st OA pick go from 25.7 to 9.7. The idea that it's better to hurt the development of Caufield and Suzuki so that we can go from a 10 to 26 percent chance of getting the 1st OA is nuts.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Why can't we trade Petry now? Has he even rescinded his trade request?

If we go from last to 4th last place our odds of getting that 1st OA pick go from 25.7 to 9.7. The idea that it's better to hurt the development of Caufield and Suzuki so that we can go from a 10 to 26 percent chance of getting the 1st OA is nuts.
Because you need to be 2 to make a deal. Contending teams doesn’t have money at this time of the year, so not sure they are a lot who call Hughes for Petry

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Ok enough now, time to fire him!!! MSL you're ruining our chances lol

Jokes aside, this team looks like it will at least be fun to watch for years to come with their style of play. Players will skills with be allowed to let loose and play, rather than the dump and chase we have been use to now for the past 20+ years!!

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille