HF Habs: The Martin Saint-Louis thread: Winning Streak Edition

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You get lost in your stats so often I rarely read you. Why wasn't Matheson the one that moved to the right side ? Why was it the 21 yo sophomore ? Thus, sheletering Matheson. It's a pretty simple concept, you'd don't need to raise their QOC, they've been playing the same pair for 10+ games now.

How can you say that Matheson, Barron and Xhekaj are better if Guhle hasn't gotten an opportunity there ?

Guhle leads the team in 5V5 points right now, despite playing tougher minutes than everyone (Playing RD is inherently tougher for him than Matheson on the LD on the same pair, and Im not even going to comment on playing with the great Matheson himself.), yet, he's worse than these three ?

I also cannot take you seriously if you believe Barron looked better this year than last. I am a huge fan of his, and Xhekaj too, but both were clearly worse this year than they were last year. Heck, neither Barron nor Xhekaj even looked good in the AHL this year, Xhekaj stabilized his game a little but Barron was effectively one of the worse defender on the ice for the two games I watched this week-end, in the AHL.

Again, you get lost in your stats and it makes you hard to read.
It could be as simple as they know good RHD are extremely hard to find and they want to experiment to see if he can handle it. I don’t see the harm in it unless it looks like his development starts to go sideways or backwards. Right now the minutes are the most important thing and Matheson is the only one capable of being paired with him if he wants to keep getting the minutes he’s getting.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It could be as simple as they know good RHD are extremely hard to find and they want to experiment to see if he can handle it. I don’t see the harm in it unless it looks like his development starts to go sideways or backwards. Right now the minutes are the most important thing and Matheson is the only one capable of being paired with him if he wants to keep getting the minutes he’s getting.
Its been pretty sideways IMO. But of course that can be attributed to the RD thing.

Theres much more value in having Guhle become the best version he can be than this weird "Lets catter to Matheson" experiment.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Its been pretty sideways IMO. But of course that can be attributed to the RD thing.

Theres much more value in having Guhle become the best version he can be than this weird "Lets catter to Matheson" experiment.
I highly doubt they’re catering to Matheson. Far more likely they want to experiment with Guehle to see if he can handle that side long term.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I've always felt that if they want that pairing Matheson (the veteran) should be playing the right side.
It certainly wouldn't cause any more gaffes and fumbles than he already makes.
Not to mention on that Jesper Bratt goal he looked like he was playing on the RD side to begin with because he certainly wasn't playing LD. :sarcasm:
:help:

Reactions: Mrb1p

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The ironic part is that MSL is criticized for using a man on man d-zone coverage which inherently makes the LD/RD not that important since the D will end up switching sides tons of times anyways.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
The ironic part is that MSL is criticized for using a man on man d-zone coverage which inherently makes the LD/RD not that important since the D will end up switching sides tons of times anyways.

Not before we are stuck in our zone, still has to play on his off side most of the time,

What is really ironic is people finding all kind of excuses to justify playing the rookie on his off side over the guy who's been in the league for 8 years, there is no logical reason to do that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Which is part of the f***ing problem. A big part.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Montreal fans: “I want a rebuild!”

Also Montreal fans: “Why aren’t we winning yet?”
Is this thread about MSL or Montreal Canadiens Fans?
God help us if (some) are critical of (some) of his coaching traits.

I'll give him credit where credit is due .
He talked about the PP a number of months ago.
He stated clearly it wasn't something they had worked on and would start doing so.
The results are encouraging.

At some point he's going to have to do the same with the defensive side of the game.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is this thread about MSL or Montreal Canadiens Fans?
God help us if (some) are critical of (some) of his coaching traits.
A message board works both ways bud.

By all means, criticize him. But be ready to have your posts criticized in kind.

So far in this thread I've learned that

- We're catering to Matheson
- All of our players have regressed
- Slaf is developing on his own without coaching help
- Joshua Roy isn't getting enough ice time
- We need to use the old defensive system
- MSL is to blame for Caufield's shooting percentage
- We need to bring in Jacques Martin

I'm not sure what to say. Our lineup is a disaster and designed to lose. It's like you're unhappy with the direction that the tire fire is burning.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Twisted Sinister

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Not before we are stuck in our zone, still has to play on his off side most of the time,

What is really ironic is people finding all kind of excuses to justify playing the rookie on his off side over the guy who's been in the league for 8 years, there is no logical reason to do that.
Well in the offensive zone playing on your off side is usually an advantage, and Guhle played a lot of RD in juniors so is no doubt quite comfortable there. But I guess that's just more excuses right?

If anything it feels like people are trying to find excuses for criticizing MSL.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
One thing to note for people critical of our defensive structure, our D are being coached by an undersized defenseman who was drafted in the 7th round that ended up being a very solid defenseman who was playing 25 minutes a game in his prime due to being such a smart player.

We don't have a chain smoking bozo like Therrien coaching our D, so I'd give Robidas the benefit of the doubt to trust what he's doing with our younger D and that he is working with them to help them in the long-run rather than stunting their development for more success in the short-term.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Well in the offensive zone playing on your off side is usually an advantage, and Guhle played a lot of RD in juniors so is no doubt quite comfortable there. But I guess that's just more excuses right?

If anything it feels like people are trying to find excuses for criticizing MSL.

If it's such an advantage why dont we see it more often, he doesn't seem so confortable to me but hey i could be wrong.....could you.

If anything it feels like some are getting very annoyed when others are questioning certain aspect of MSL coaching in his OWN thread on a hockey message board.....quite strange if you ask me.

And the perfect definition of irony cuz they probably be the first to bring those same points if it was done by any of the previous coach we had

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
One thing to note for people critical of our defensive structure, our D are being coached by an undersized defenseman who was drafted in the 7th round that ended up being a very solid defenseman who was playing 25 minutes a game in his prime due to being such a smart player.

We don't have a chain smoking bozo like Therrien coaching our D, so I'd give Robidas the benefit of the doubt to trust what he's doing with our younger D and that he is working with them to help them in the long-run rather than stunting their development for more success in the short-term.

Quite strange that lots of you always bring back MT in the conversation, the guy's gone for what......7-8 years now, this thread is about MSL i think

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Quite strange that lots of you always bring back MT in the conversation, the guy's gone for what......7-8 years now, this thread is about MSL i think
Not strange at all.

We had Godawful coaching for so long. That's why it's so interesting to see some of the criticisms here on a coach who's been infinitely better.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If it's such an advantage why dont we see it more often, he doesn't seem so confortable to me but hey i could be wrong.....could you.

If anything it feels like some are getting very annoyed when others are questioning certain aspect of MSL coaching in his OWN thread on a hockey message board.....quite strange if you ask me.

And the perfect definition of irony cuz they probably be the first to bring those same points if it was done by any of the previous coach we had
See what more often, D playing their off side? It happens all the time.

Also I'm not annoyed people question MSL coaching decisions, there's plenty of decisions I don't agree with but the idea that it's strange that not everyone agrees with every criticism levelled his way says a lot about you. Like can you not believe people have different opinions, does everything have to be a conspiracy?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

The point is for years we were stuck with recycled coaches with the same dinosaur mindset who were focused on winning and would rely on veterans and goaltending to win games, while benching younger players for any mistakes they made.

Once Price was done, this "strategy" fell apart since he wasn't around anymore to cover the shitty rosters we had and due to the lack of development we had minimal young players still around to be considered part of the future.

Our new management and coaches have a completely different philosophy and have shown willingness to live with players mistakes in the short-term in the hopes of it'll pay off in the longer run. Despite this, people aren't happy because we aren't winning games.

Our management can bring in more veterans and our coaches could cater to playing the veterans more for the sake of winning a few more games, however HuGo and company are being patient and looking to the long-term to make a team that can be a potential contender rather than doing a half-assed retool and trying to assemble a team who can squeak into the playoffs in the near future.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Not strange at all.

We had Godawful coaching for so long. That's why it's so interesting to see some of the criticisms here on a coach who's been infinitely better.

But nobody here is comparing the two, have you seen one post saying we shoild have MT unstead of MSL.......i sure havn't

Reactions: Vachon23

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
But nobody here is comparing the two, have you seen one post saying we shoild have MT unstead of MSL.......i sure havn't
If you haven’t seen a post in it, why are you addressing it?

And, yes it absolutely makes sense to compare where we were then vs where we are today. We would you think it’s not relevant?

MSL is good or bad relative to other coaches just like any coach. If you evaluate a coach you’re going to do it comparatively.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
See what more often, D playing their off side? It happens all the time.

Also I'm not annoyed people question MSL coaching decisions, there's plenty of decisions I don't agree with but the idea that it's strange that not everyone agrees with every criticism levelled his way says a lot about you. Like can you not believe people have different opinions, does everything have to be a conspiracy?

Wow, can you find one post that would suggest the bolded, empty talk again

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
If you haven’t seen a post in it, why are you addressing it?
Comprehension problem maybe......tought it was obvious i was talking about people who bring some valid points on what they don't like about MSL coaching not using MT as a comparaison so why using him to counter those valid point......more clear now

I find it strange that after 8 years he is gone people still use a comparaison between him and MT to say we have a good coach, it's like saying we have Jake Evans as our number 1 C .....hey guy's he's alot better thamd DD back then so no need to cricize him

But hey feel free to bring him back in the conversation and i'm gonna keep on thinking it's strange

And, yes it absolutely makes sense to compare where we were then vs where we are today. We would you think it’s not relevant?

MSL is good or bad relative to other coaches just like any coach. If you evaluate a coach you’re going to do it comparatively.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Comprehension problem maybe......tought it was obvious i was talking about people who bring some valid points on what they don't like about MSL coaching not using MT as a comparaison so why using him to counter those valid point......more clear now

I find it strange that after 8 years he is gone people still use a comparaison between him and MT to say we have a good coach, it's like saying we have Jake Evans as our number 1 C .....hey guy's he's alot better thamd DD back then so no need to cricize him

But hey feel free to bring him back in the conversation and i'm gonna keep on thinking it's strange
Not strange at all to compare previous coaches to present ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese