Apr 17, 2017
“The tank” carries a different connotation then you young’uns think

upload_2021-2-15_13-15-5.gif

Reactions: rypper

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Well the Holtby contract was pretty stupid and he was trying really hard to trade picks and prospects for a declining defenceman that packs a 8.5m x 7 year contract.
Hard to see him do anything till next offseason??? Benning and co sill have a TDL coming so who knows what their up to and the damage that can be done.

Okay, I must have erased Holtby from my memory. It's debatable whether that's on the same level as previous bad signings. As for what Benning might do the rest of the year, I stand by my prediction that it will be little or nothing. There are too many factors constraining the team's options for Benning to entertain any big trades.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Holtby makes 5.7 million real money, next season, in a year where Seattle is going to take someone from our roster.

I give Jim credit for getting him for 2 years when similar goalies on the market were getting 3. Hopefully the money doesn't shy Seattle away though and they leave our cheap bottom six players alone. (Macewen, Motte, etc.)

Reactions: lindgren

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Okay, I must have erased Holtby from my memory. It's debatable whether that's on the same level as previous bad signings. As for what Benning might do the rest of the year, I stand by my prediction that it will be little or nothing. There are too many factors constraining the team's options for Benning to entertain any big trades.

Are you suggesting that Benning is not going to violate the NHL rules on salary cap?

If so, I agree.

If Benning had the cap space - which contrary to popular belief, does matter - he would sign more overpriced crap UFA's.

But since he doesn't have the cap space, and Gear is there to say, "Jim, we can't sign those contracts, there is a salary cap rule preventing us" then yes, Benning is not going to sign useless overpaid over the hill UFA's even though he wants to.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Holtby makes 5.7 million real money, next season, in a year where Seattle is going to take someone from our roster.

I give Jim credit for getting him for 2 years when similar goalies on the market were getting 3. Hopefully the money doesn't shy Seattle away though and they leave our cheap bottom six players alone. (Macewen, Motte, etc.)
Somehow I doubt getting a free agent goalie with a save percentage of sub-0.900 is going to be difficult at even half the price of Holtby.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
TDL is this Friday. Totally insane that Aquilini didn’t make a change, so the new GM could move out Sutter and Pearson for picks. More wasted assets. It’s hard not to cheer for us to win, but maybe it’s best if we don’t? This piss poor Jethro/Jethrine management needs to be removed.

Reactions: David71

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
TDL is this Friday. Totally insane that Aquilini didn’t make a change, so the new GM could move out Sutter and Pearson for picks. More wasted assets. It’s hard not to cheer for us to win, but maybe it’s best if we don’t? This piss poor Jethro/Jethrine management needs to be removed.

What? I thought it was in April.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Bengie just signed the Triple H of salary cap hell: Holtby, Hawerlyk and Hamonic.

He signed these 3 for 6.5M instead of Tanev and a back up keeper.
Think about it.

Unfortunately, he is capable of profound professional scouting mismanagement.

Just leaving Bengie alone with no cap dollar sounds fine but it is just another recipe for disaster.

Bengie and FA seem incapable of competent Pro scouting.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

He made the right call going to Twitter to stop the fire in the media.

It's basically what anyone should have done in his shoes. I don't think it actually means anything, but it calls off the dogs in the short term. Gives them time to figure some stuff out - which is what they needed.

However, ownership has got to realize that the team isn't being run well from a business standpoint nor from a hockey standpoint.

I just don't understand how they don't shit their pants at the business side of things for the past seven years. It's awful.

It's a relatively big market with one of the most passionate & diverse fanbases. They own the arena and that's a cash cow.

They've also been willing to spend to the cap during this shit run and the team should have more to show for that. It's just a bad situation and they really need to revisit how they've done things the past decade.

Reactions: geebaan and rypper

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
We arent getting rid of Benning et all until the offseason at the earliest. Hopefully he doesnt hamstring the team at the TDL or at all.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
As much as I want differently I think the only way we see changes come mid season, is something ridiculous that can't be ignored like 10-15+ losing streak. We were working our way there and I think if there was fans in the building it would have been amplified but this season I think changes won't come until the end of the season.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Before you read, I want it on record I am not a Benning fan. But I have noticed that most fans here are either a fan of him or outright despise him and I wanted to share perhaps a different outlook on the situation.

I have been critical of him since his first glaring mistakes. And I think I was mentally done with him after the Juolevi pick. Basically I told myself, its an awful pick, however if this guy turns into a stud because he saw something in him that most did not, it will buy him more time (in my eyes anyway). Juolevi did not workout as he had planned and as I had predicted. Though he seems to be developing, he clearly isn't a top D in the league and most likely will not be and that's what youre aiming for that high in the draft.

But I want to play devil's advocate for a bit here.

Benning was a poor hire. End of story. He either got the job because he sold them on being able to have them compete sooner, which Aquilini liked or he failed to execute on what was a poor plan to begin with.

But with that said,

Benning has made mistakes but he has owned up to them and not exactly continued to replicate the same mistakes throughout his tenure. I think the best example is his drafting. Benning started drafting with more weight and focus put into the players weight and shot. This is why Virtanen and McCann were atop of his list. He has seemed to moreso copy whats working right now vs being ahead of the curve, obviously not the best thing, it's also not the worst thing. He is willing to adjust and entirely change how he operates and learns from his mistakes. Its been hard as fans to live with those mistakes as they have a lasting impact on the team but he's been aware of them after the fact and definitely adjusted his strategy behind the scenes. Realizing he needs to also build a core here, he focused on positional needs as he realized defense and centers are important to building a new team, obviously realizing this was a mistake when he chose Juolevi over Tkachuk, he changed his strategy once again by announcing publicly that he will be ranking his list based on BPA in the months leading up to the very next draft, when before he made it public he prioritized centers and defense. He has been an open book about his formula and with that, with that we see that he does learn from his mistakes. Since then, his drafting has improved a ton, it's clear he no longer drafts based on positional need, especially in the first rounds where top talent is available.

I think he had to learn the hard way about cap management as well. I am in full confidence that he will be handling the cap going forward much better as well. You won't see term and dollars for middling players or a 4th line. I would put money on that

So while I don't think anybody should have to suffer a GMs learning curve and he was clearly over his head when he landed the job, I think he's developing and with the time invested, plus his improved drafting. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more years as I think he has truly made enough mistakes in each department to where I do not see him making any of the big ones again, as I have liked how he has responded. Its been a terrible run and I can say I would not be disappointed if he was let go, I would also look at him being kept with this all in mind.

I don't think Benning has much of an ego, he very much seems like he is looking to continually improve. Which is something you can't say for some GMs. Can blame the owner for hiring somebody perhaps not experienced enough at the job in the first place (most likely to have more input) or you can put the blame on the former AGM/scout (that he hired) for not being quite experienced enough for the position, however willing to make adjustments over the years to get better. I personally like to put the blame on the owner for trying to rush things and exhausted from the learning curve but at this point , accept that he may now be a decent option going forward, even if it looks like they would be rewarding him for his past mistakes

My two cents anyway.

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
" He is willing to adjust and entirely change how he operates and learns from his mistakes. "

The Triple-H say hello! 12 weeks ago he signed Holtby, Hawerlyk and Hamonic instead of Tanev. How's that working out?

"Realizing he needs to also build a core here, he focused on positional needs as he realized defense and centers are important to building a new team."

So he signed Dopplegangers Beagle to go with Sutter and Ferland to go with Roussel, all of them next to Useless, if Useless is Erickson.

"He has been an open book about his formula and with that, with that we see that he does learn from his mistakes."

I assume you are trolling now.

"I think he had to learn the hard way about cap management as well. I am in full confidence that he will be handling the cap going forward much better as well. You won't see term and dollars for middling players or a 4th line. I would put money on that."

Why do you believe this, there is no evidence, none, just some irrational belief.

I reality Bengie is a broken jack'in'the'box that keeps starling everyone by erupting out of his box with one bad decision after another.

Past events predict the future and this will continue until he is removed and placed on the shelf.

Sadly, he is very capable of making this situation very much worse.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
"The Triple-H say hello! 12 weeks ago he signed Holtby, Hawerlyk and Hamonic instead of Tanev. How's that working out?"

That is learning from his mistake, none of them got much for cash or term, especially term. Very odd response

"So he signed Dopplegangers Beagle to go with Sutter and Ferland to go with Roussel, all of them next to Useless, if Useless is Erickson."

That has nothing to do with focusing on positional need in his drafting philosophy

"Why do you believe this, there is no evidence, none, just some irrational belief."

It is proven by his reluctance to give term this off season, especially to players he didn't see being a big part of the team in the future. They did offer a contract to Tanev

Sportsnet 650
@Sportsnet650

Oct 10, 2020
Tanev: We didn't think we'd be back in Van at all honestly. They circled back and offered me a two year deal which I thought about for a while but we thought the best option was in Calgary. #Canucks

There is ample evidence to support their reluctancy to give term recently. If you want to hate on people, have facts, don't exaggerate things and don't be so clearly biased. How come people feel the need to go so extreme to one side, is it to counteract the radical people on the other side? Fact is you will not be taken serious by any rational person

You can have the opinion that Benning sucks and he will make it worse but don't say there is no evidence to suggest specific things when there is so clearly evidence. And don't state things as facts when it's clearly speculative

You may think there are other reasons to his reluctancy when it comes to term recently, however based on his previous behavior of correcting his mistakes and being ripped apart by everybody for it, that he is clearly aware of the mess be put himself in regarding term and dollars for lesser/aging players. That's much more likely than him not putting much value in the D man that was on their first pairing

The truth lies in the middle, not in the radical left or the radical right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad