The Management Thread | We live Page to Page here

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is a good team now. In a show of gratitude towards Benning, you'll be kissing those shoes soon.

This team has an absolutely shit blueline. They might be a marginal playoff team at best.

But again, this is the same thing as Fake Stanley Cup 2020. There is no plan or goal to consistently compete and win championships. The big goal is to sneak into 16th place to save the GM’s job and then deal with the mess later. Take one of the worse contacts in hockey that will haunt the team for half a decade? Who cares if it’s a marginal improvement now! Defer half your backup’s cap hit to a future year? Who cares! Gotta save our jobs now!

And fans who don’t have a clue and don’t understand hockey and who are incapable of learning from the past just lap this shit up. It’s incredible.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
This team has an absolutely shit blueline. They might be a marginal playoff team at best.

But again, this is the same thing as Fake Stanley Cup 2020. There is no plan or goal to consistently compete and win championships. The big goal is to sneak into 16th place to save the GM’s job and then deal with the mess later. Take one of the worse contacts in hockey that will haunt the team for half a decade? Who cares if it’s a marginal improvement now! Defer half your backup’s cap hit to a future year? Who cares! Gotta save our jobs now!

And fans who don’t have a clue and don’t understand hockey and who are incapable of learning from the past just lap this shit up. It’s incredible.
Ok expert. You say they will just sneak into the play-offs, I say they make it comfortably. If i'm right, does that mean I understand hockey better than you?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ok expert. You say they will just sneak into the play-offs, I say they make it comfortably. If i'm right, does that mean I understand hockey better than you?

My projections for this team have been pretty damn close to spot on for 7 years in a row.

What were your projections for this team last season?

Reactions: Mr4legs and geebaan

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
No, it means the team sold out the future to make it into the foothills of the mountain instead of summiting it, yet still plans to plant a flag and hold a big PR event about it to pat each other on the back.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
My projections for this team have been pretty damn close to spot on for 7 years in a row.

What were your projections for this team last season?
Don’t remember. Coming off a season where they made the playoffs and beat the blues, I likely predicted another playoff season, but Covid. You know how it goes.
What was your prediction for the 19/20 season, where they made the play-offs?

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
No, it means the team sold out the future to make it into the foothills of the mountain instead of summiting it, yet still plans to plant a flag and hold a big PR event about it to pat each other on the back.
The team that we have now has a long future ahead of it. This is a young team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Exactly.

Literally nothing the team did this summer was about opening a contending window and setting the team up to be better from 2023 to 2026.

Everything they did was about selling out to make the playoffs this year and save their jobs, at the expense of putting the team in a worse situation in those years where we should be trying to open that contending window.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
IIRC, it was Vigneault he had a problem with. Story goes that one night AV is ripping into Kesler/Burrows/Bieksa/Sedins, and Schneider fired back at him in their defense. That was the last anybody ever saw of him.

I had thought that he was really angry over how he was demoted to the Moose and had a couple of veiled comments towards management along the lines of "This isn't what was discussed/promised to me." But you may be right. It was such a minor thing that I just remember the general sentiment Schneider had, not the specifics.

I love how it's always.

Something good : Benning didn't do it.
Something bad : Benning did it.

I love how you continually characterize people you disagree with with having opinions that are completely made up.

Everyone has pretty much been in favor of Benning picking up Garland. Same with Dickinson. There are a lot of people happy with the moves that were made to bolster the Abby Canucks.

People are happy with Hoglander.

There's optimism towards Klimovich.

There's been some debate over Pettersson and how involved Benning was with the actual selection, but fair is fair, he was ultimately the one in charge when the selection was made.

No one is really arguing over Hughes or the Boeser selection.

Where the problem lies is the utter refusal from people like yourself who can't acknowledge that Benning has made a number of blunders and that the Canucks have generally been a shit team under his watch, with several problems currently manifesting for the team in the near future.

The two biggest issues are that the cupboards aren't full for the Canucks when it comes to prospects and the future of the defense past like 2 years. We have arguably 3 respectable prospects, 4, if you include Rathbone. (Woo, MDP and Klimovich.) Beyond that, it's a steeeeeeeeeeeep drop off.

Which is insane when Benning was specifically brought in to make the Canucks a better drafting team. Yes, yes, Boeser/EP/Hughes. But this should be a consistent and ongoing thing and I would characterize Benning's overall drafting as inconsistent while hitting on first rounders (which virtually every team will manage to do with some of their first rounders.)

The defense has 4 guys who are north of 30 and are going to get only older. Hughes and Juolevi are the only 2 younger players on the back end and we're holding out hope that Woo ends up being something.

OEL and Hughes are the only real bright spots moving past the 2 year mark. There is nothing in the system beyond that, so Benning is either going to have to move someone (Miller, Hoglander or MDP are the most likely options) in a trade or go through free agency. Neither instills a lot of confidence.

Everything is either 'wait and see' prognosticating, characterizing people as being 'negative' when they're simply being critical and discussing things or attempting to rewrite things by arguing that 'oh that's the benefit of hindsight.'

To compare to the previous regime, Mike Gillis, I (and a number of other posters on here) held him very favorably. But there are a number of faults that Gillis had that have been (or should be) acknowledged and I don't think there's a lot of pushback from folks on that. His drafting record and his public persona in dealing with the media being the two obvious examples.

The utter refusal to acknowledge that Benning had a large hand in the Canucks march to futility the past 7 years is constantly downplayed (he was brought in to do X, it's not his fault! Ownership is dictating things to him! But [X]!) or straight up ignored.

Stop trying to demonize posters who are critical of Benning and painting them all with one brush. It's annoying and doesn't further any meaningful discussion on here.

They stepped back totally and did nothing but sign checks and open the vault.
How some fans can believe they are hockey illiterate is laughable.

I thought it was assumed and/or reported that Fransceco takes an active role with the team since we don't have a team president.

There's also the involvement ownership had in Nonis' demise and the events that led up to it. There's certainly a history of them being a little more hands on than other owners, IMO.

I do think that their willingness to spend should be lauded, but I question their perspective or how much is dictated to Benning by ownership. Like, I don't think FA is telling Benning to 'go out and get Linden Vey', but I do think it's reasonable he could be pushing him to get OEL or other 'name' players, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It is exactly what it's going to be.

These fair weather bandwagon fans will all be saying they have believed in Benning since day 1 when the Canucks win a few playoff rounds.

And then some guy with way too much time on his hands will go back and quote all the old posts of them bashing Benning.

Then Moderators will step in and help the current Benning bashers and say it's a personal attack.

Can't wait.

You have to keep quoting what will happen in the future because Benning defenders are still refusing to accept accountability for the past seven years when they've been proven wrong.

First it was Gillis' fault.

Then when it was decisions clearly in Benning's self-made environment it was a "rush to judgement".

Then when the predictions of Benning's bad decisions became true it was "...but hindsight".

Then people tried "...this is a natural progression of a re-build".

Then when that was laughably disproven now it's "...but in the future we'll be right".

NO ONE is falling for it and you're just digging yourself deeper.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Don’t remember. Coming off a season where they made the playoffs and beat the blues, I likely predicted another playoff season, but Covid. You know how it goes.

You weren't talking to me, but in October 2019 I said they would be a bubble team that could squeak into the playoffs but will fall right back into the gutter the following season without Tanev and Markstrom, and that is exactly what happened. "But Covid" nothing, the team was trash last season.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
You weren't talking to me, but in October 2019 I said they would be a bubble team that could squeak into the playoffs but will fall right back into the gutter the following season without Tanev and Markstrom, and that is exactly what happened. "But Covid" nothing, the team was trash last season.
So squeak into the playoffs this year then?

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
QONVIyz.gif

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
Ever have the horrifying thought that Benning could be around for a David Poile length of time?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

LMAO. A ‘knowledgeable’ fan who thinks that COVID was somehow the reason for years of horrific management resulting in multiple top players leaving and creating a dressing room in revolt.

I talked endlessly about Fake Stanley Cup 2020 and how the team had mortgaged the future to be a bubble playoff team and would inevitably go backwards the following year. I said they were a bubble team who could make it if they stayed fairly healthy and got elite goaltending. Basically these last two years have played out exactly as I said they would in the summer of 2019. And now they’re repeating the exact same cycle.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
So squeak into the playoffs this year then?

I'm viewing the Canucks as a team that has potential to make the playoffs if things play out correctly. If they're extremely fortunate (ie, the Golden Knights completely implode, McDavid suffers the mother of all ingrown toenails and is out all season and Poolman is the reincarnation of Rod Langway) they could do even better than that.

But just looking at them "on paper", I see them as a middle of the road team benefiting from being in a somewhat weaker division.

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020

Covid was particularly unfair to Benning by attacking his team the way it did

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
“You’re gonna be kissing Bennings shoes when we’re good this year”. Mods please for the love of god see what the pro Benning people are posting here. These are posts that put Benning over any success the team might have. I didn’t know we were the Vancouver Bennings now.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Haha, are people seriously doing the but covid thing after it’s been posted numerous times that their regulation record was better AFTER covid?

Who buys that shit? No one with any critical thinking ability.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Covid giveth and Covid taketh away.

The Canucks benefited from Covid by making it to the bubble where it could be argued they were unlikely to make the playoffs in a normal season.

The Canucks were decimated by Covid by having the team catch Covid and got fed into the scheduling meat grinder to make up their games.

Both cases they weren't a strong team that was being propped up by fantastic goaltending.

Cue, "aNyThInG cAn HaPpEn!" arguments now.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
“You’re gonna be kissing Bennings shoes when we’re good this year”. Mods please for the love of god see what the pro Benning people are posting here. These are posts that put Benning over any success the team might have. I didn’t know we were the Vancouver Bennings now.

Mods have pretty much stated that they don't really care about that sort of stuff because it's 'performative' and characterized 'negative' posting as being of a similar 'performative' bent.

Reactions: geebaan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad