The Management Thread | We live Page to Page here

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I peeked over at Canucks.com forun for the first time 6 years, their activity is 10x more than here and most of it is pro-Benning and optimistic for next season.

It's a brand new slate next season and it's nice to see the broad fanbase renergized.

Reactions: salo franchise

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I peeked over at Canucks.com forun for the first time 6 years, their activity is 10x more than here and most of it is pro-Benning and optimistic for next season.

It's a brand new slate next season and it's nice to see the broad fanbase renergized.

Well you can peek back the last 6 years there and you'll see the exact same optimism. How has that worked out?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

As a moderator there 15 years ago, you definitely don't understand the purpose or vibe of that forum.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
You could literally see the shift about the OEL trade happen in real time on CDC. The first few pages people were like "uggh, bad deal" which slowly became "well if OEL can bounce back it could be okay" to "Benning got us a top pairing dman and top 6 forward by trading away our worst contracts! Legend!"

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think some fans have been too hard on Benning over the years because the desire to win the cup right at that season.

Benning was brought in to keep pushing for the Cup for the Sedins's last years.

After, a proper rebuild started. Now, people can complain about the cap and contracts all they want, but we must realize that the team was never meant to win the cup in the past 5 years.

The mandate was always to build a long term sustainable effort to challenge for the cup year in and year out.

So they had to build a solid foundation first, sucking, getting picks, developing prospects.

Eriksson's contract was to think he can help the Sedins until they retire, after that? It didn't matter.

If you consider that as the base line, then it doesn't matter what the contracts signed were up until the core and window starts opening.

The thing that disrupted this all, was an unforseen amount of draft picks that developed so fast into the core, making those contracts that were suppose to expire by the time the team compete, into bad contracts.

Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander.
You cannot possibly think that you could get 4 impact rookies 4 years in a row. Nevermind the Calder level of the first 3, but Pettersson and Hughes turning into what they are.

So the team brought in Miller and Garland to join this sped up process, because Benning saw that the team is now ready to take the next step.

Mistakes happen, but it's how you face up to it and adjust.

Some may call me blind optimist.

I say they were short sighted every year and took the successful development of the kids as granted.

Had those kids not develop as fast, we would not be in this situation.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Ryan Murray is still available somehow. If we signed him (we won’t), it would actually change the entire outlook of this off-season for me. He’s basically a 27 year old left handed Tanev and we desperately need a lefty who can take the hard minutes Edler played because at this point nobody in the roster can do that.

Reactions: gameface

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ryan Murray is still available somehow. If we signed him (we won’t), it would actually change the entire outlook of this off-season for me. He’s basically a 27 year old left handed Tanev and we desperately need a lefty who can take the hard minutes Edler played because at this point nobody in the roster can do that.

I like Ryan Murray but I want to see if Rathbone and or Juolevi can develop further.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I like Ryan Murray but I want to see if Rathbone and or Juolevi can develop further.

Rathbone can still play if we sign Murray. Juolevi, imo, is a nothing player and can be a depth defender for us. If he shows more than that great, but I wouldn’t bank on it. Regardless more depth is a good thing.

Either way even if Rathbone and Juolevi are getting minutes we still have the same issue. Once again, who the hell is playing the hard minutes on this team? Who can PK? Who can actually defend? Certainly none of our left side defenceman can, and our right side isn’t much better.

Reactions: gameface

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
I think some fans have been too hard on Benning over the years because the desire to win the cup right at that season.

After, a proper rebuild started. Now, people can complain about the cap and contracts all they want, but we must realize that the team was never meant to win the cup in the past 5 years.

The mandate was always to build a long term sustainable effort to challenge for the cup year in and year out.

So they had to build a solid foundation first, sucking, getting picks, developing prospects.

Eriksson's contract was to think he can help the Sedins until they retire, after that? It didn't matter.

If you consider that as the base line, then it doesn't matter what the contracts signed were up until the core and window starts opening.

The thing that disrupted this all, was an unforseen amount of draft picks that developed so fast into the core, making those contracts that were suppose to expire by the time the team compete, into bad contracts.

You cannot possibly think that you could get 4 impact rookies 4 years in a row. Nevermind the Calder level of the first 3, but Pettersson and Hughes turning into what they are.

So the team brought in Miller and Garland to join this sped up process, because Benning saw that the team is now ready to take the next step.

I say they were short sighted every year and took the successful development of the kids as granted.

When did they get picks?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Titles that could work:

"If we have cap problems again in a few years we'll just trade top 10 picks to get rid of them"

Or

"If this defence doesn't work out YOLO best of luck Nuckleheads I'm gone after this season anyways peace out ✌️"

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Rathbone can still play if we sign Murray. Juolevi, imo, is a nothing player and can be a depth defender for us. If he shows more than that great, but I wouldn’t bank on it. Regardless more depth is a good thing.

Either way even if Rathbone and Juolevi are getting minutes we still have the same issue. Once again, who the hell is playing the hard minutes on this team? Who can PK? Who can actually defend? Certainly none of our left side defenceman can, and our right side isn’t much better.

Like it or not, OEL is expected to handle the hard minutes. He's going to spend some time on the PK. You can expect OEL's partner to play the tough minutes with him. Myers was Green's #1 PK Dman on the right side so he's getting PK minutes regardless of where he plays on the roster. There are PK options on the right side.

Right now, the projected left side is OEL, Hughes, and Rathbone with Juolevi and Hunt? outside looking in. So the "issue" you are talking about isn't going to be solved without removing Hughes and Rathbone from the roster which I would bet 90+% of Canucks fans would be against. So like I said, I like Murray but I don't see the fit unless you are moving one of Hughes or Rathbone over to the right or you're taking Rathbone off the roster. I am obviously going to assume that Hughes isn't going anywhere.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i am very high on ryan murray, but you just know that if he came here he would suffer a career ending injury by november

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
OJ is cooked, I wouldn’t mind a bear like trade to send him out for a middle 6er

Bear has played 132 games and shown he can stick in the league. Juolevi has only played 22 games and has not proven that he can stick in the NHL yet. I don’t think he has nearly that much (if any) trade value.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Like it or not, OEL is expected to handle the hard minutes. He's going to spend some time on the PK. You can expect OEL's partner to play the tough minutes with him. Myers was Green's #1 PK Dman on the right side so he's getting PK minutes regardless of where he plays on the roster. There are PK options on the right side.

Right now, the projected left side is OEL, Hughes, and Rathbone with Juolevi and Hunt? outside looking in. So the "issue" you are talking about isn't going to be solved without removing Hughes and Rathbone from the roster which I would bet 90+% of Canucks fans would be against. So like I said, I like Murray but I don't see the fit unless you are moving one of Hughes or Rathbone over to the right or you're taking Rathbone off the roster. I am obviously going to assume that Hughes isn't going anywhere.

I would move OEL to the right side and do a Murray-OEL pairing because IIRC OEL has played the right side before. In an ideal world we would see:

Hughes-Hamonic
Murray-OEL
Rathbone-Myers/Poolman

Reactions: ugghhh

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Bear has played 132 games and shown he can stick in the league. Juolevi has only played 22 games and has not proven that he can stick in the NHL yet. I don’t think he has nearly that much (if any) trade value.
Both will be fringe bottom pairing guys

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I don’t think the discussion is around whether we like or dislike OEL handling the hard minutes. It’s about can he handle it or not. Our cap and D will be f***ed if he can’t, it’s as simple as that.

Reactions: vanuck and Love

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

RE: the bolded: There has never been a rebuild during Benning's tenure. Therefore, your post is pure bunk.

You're not a blind optimist --- you're a purveyor of misinformation. Seriously, you end with "Canucks suck becuz young players got good too fast." Like, in what universe are young players vastly outperforming their ELCs considered a hindrance to success?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
This year is the litmus test. If team wins then this team is like Winnipeg in 2017 after Laine draft. A team on the rise with a better location If they lose then they are just like Arizona last year with more resources. I believe they will be greatly improved and can win a round in the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad