The Management Thread | We live Page to Page here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This year is the litmus test. If team wins then this team is like Winnipeg in 2017 after Laine draft. A team on the rise with a better location If they lose then they are just like Arizona last year with more resources. I believe they will be greatly improved and can win a round in the playoffs

Litmus test for what?

Why does it take 8 years before a litmus test can be administered?

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I like how Jim signs depth players to long term contracts with high cap and let’s quality players with relatively low cap go for nothing.

its truly innovative if you ask me.
No other GM does this

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
RE: the bolded: There has never been a rebuild during Benning's tenure. Therefore, your post is pure bunk.

You're not a blind optimist --- you're a purveyor of misinformation. Seriously, you end with "Canucks suck becuz young players got good too fast." Like, in what universe are young players vastly outperforming their ELCs considered a hindrance to success?

What GM counts on 3 back to back Calder nominees????

Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes all flourished much faster than anticipated.

Pettersson and Hughes was both doubted by many because their size and weight.

Reactions: geebaan

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
What GM counts on 3 back to back Calder nominees????

Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes all flourished much faster than anticipated.

Pettersson and Hughes was both doubted by many because their size and weight.

Total non-sequitur response.

There was no rebuild.

Young players performing at an elite level while on an ELC contract are not the reason why teams suck.

Try again.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
upload_2021-7-30_12-2-7.gif

Reactions: mathonwy

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
My prediction this year will be that the 3rd pacific team will place 21 in the league standings this year. Who that is i am not sure.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
There's a couple of things I'd like to talk about.

- Benning's general approach to building the defense this year. He clearly stated in his presser yesterday that the defense basically has one 'offensive'/mobile/puckmoving/whatever guy on it and a 'defensive defenseman' guy on the other side. Like he's taking EA's stats and ensuring that defensive play is counterbalanced by offensive play in each pairing. It's weird and I don't know if this is dinosaur thinking being employed here, an instance of Jim Benning being his usual notoriously bad public speaking self or a combination of the two.

- The Schmidt situation. You have Benning outright denying that anything is going on, mystified that there were rumors of him possibly being moved, then admitting that he was in contact with Schmidt's agent "3-4 times a day the last couple of weeks." Schmidt, to his credit, argues that he was never asked to waive or that he wanted out. An utterly bizarre situation, but it seems to be a hallmark of the Benning Regime, where players are discarded with little regard to their situation. Seriously, Benning responding that it is the job of his agent to communicate these things is true, but it's also really disrespectful. Which would be fine, maybe, if this was an isolated incident (I seem to recall Mathieu Schneider being particularly unhappy with how he was treated under Gillis, for example) but the Benning Regime has a history of this sort of shit. Which brings me to...

- Alex Edler. Dude is a 15 year veteran of the Canucks. One year back from Trevor Linden's tenure with the organization. The way that the language progressed from his agent ("looking to explore free agency" to "the intent is to leave"), the fact that he chose to sign with LA, a team that doesn't really have strong prospects at being a playoff contender (ie, they're more or less in the same situation as the Canucks are) and that there has been nothing said about him in the days leading up to free agency and afterwards is concerning. It harkens back to how Tanev, another longterm member of the club, and Toffoli, a not so long term member of the club were treated last off season when Benning was off chasing OEL. This shit bothers me probably more than it should, but if there's any truth to the rumors that both Holtby and Schmidt were unhappy (again, whatever happened there with Schmidt?) it paints a really weird f***ing picture of what was/is going on in the Canucks locker room.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
People who were duped by Fake Stanley Cup 2020 are all super excited to be duped again by Fake Stanley Cup 2022.

Maybe we can finish in 17th place again!
They are the same ones who dismissively claim that any player or team who has not won the 16th game of the playoffs "has never won a thing". And yet...

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
So even by your own admission the rebuild didn't happen "properly" because of this supposed accelerated development.

It's just a hot mess of contradictions all around. Their young guns were so "unexpectedly" good by 2019 that Benning was forced to accelerate the "rebuild", but by 2021 those same young guns needed another couple of years before they'd be mature enough to compete in the playoffs.

Benning must assume all Canucks' fans have the long term memory of a goldfish.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t think the discussion is around whether we like or dislike OEL handling the hard minutes. It’s about can he handle it or not. Our cap and D will be f***ed if he can’t, it’s as simple as that.

I was responding literally to Love. He asked who is playing the hard minutes. My answer is that it's going to be OEL on the left side and by extension his partner. Do you disagree? He asked who can PK and given that Myers was Green's top PK guy on the right I expect him to PK. Clearly, OEL, Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, and Schenn have PK experience.

Like I said, the makeup on our D right now is OEL, Hughes, and Rathbone. We can't talk about a team being able to ice both Hughes and Ratbbone and require a #1 defensive Dman at the same time.

Feb 19, 2018
After losing a bunch of vets on the team, I’d like Benning to take a run and see what Parise would take. We have a huge American contingent and most of them are young. I think he would help out some of the guys as I’m sure a few of them looked up to him on the way to the NHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
After losing a bunch of vets on the team, I’d like Benning to take a run and see what Parise would take. We have a huge American contingent and most of them are young. I think he would help out some of the guys as I’m sure a few of them looked up to him on the way to the NHL.

Parise is likely going to the Islanders. Been rumoured to go there since he was bought out.

I personally don’t think this group needs more veteran leadership up front. Our captain is going into this 8th year. Miller is even more experienced. The Canucks are by and large and experienced group.

Reactions: m9

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Even if the Canucks do have a rebound year and make the playoffs, they have once again mortgaged their future.

We just had to grind out one more season with some terrible contracts and the only really bad money on our books would have been Tyler Myers.

Now Benning has somehow added three more shitty contracts to the payroll. Two of the *bad* variety (Pearson, Poolman) and one that belongs in the *holy shit wtf are you doing* category (OEL).

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Even if the Canucks do have a rebound year and make the playoffs, they have once again mortgaged their future.

We just had to grind out one more season with some terrible contracts and the only really bad money on our books would have been Tyler Myers.

Now Benning has somehow added three more shitty contracts to the payroll. Two of the *bad* variety (Pearson, Poolman) and one that belongs in the *holy shit wtf are you doing* category (OEL).

Hughes - 21
Boeser -24
Pettersson - 22
Rathbone - 21
Hoglander - 20
Podkolzin - 20
Garland - 25
Demko - 25
Horvat - 26
Klimovich - 18

There's a lot of years left with that group.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Hughes - 21
Boeser -24
Pettersson - 22
Rathbone - 21
Hoglander - 20
Podkolzin - 20
Garland - 25
Demko - 25
Horvat - 26
Klimovich - 18

There's a lot of years left with that group.

Sure, and the Garland addition is great. But it doesn't even come close to making up for six years of OEL and losing 9th overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad