The Management Thread | We live Page to Page here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Which would be fine, maybe, if this was an isolated incident (I seem to recall Mathieu Schneider being particularly unhappy with how he was treated under Gillis, for example) but the Benning Regime has a history of this sort of shit. Which brings me to...

IIRC, it was Vigneault he had a problem with. Story goes that one night AV is ripping into Kesler/Burrows/Bieksa/Sedins, and Schneider fired back at him in their defense. That was the last anybody ever saw of him.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Two years left on Horvat's contract at which point we might have a very difficult decision to make. He will be 29 and if we still stink, probably won't make a lot of sense to sign a big contract.

Reactions: timw33

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Just a reminder to everyone - discuss the post not the poster, and engage each other in civil discussion. Flaming isn't permitted as per the Site Rules.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I almost said something about how, if they’d had the 9oa we’d be including literally whomever we picked there, but since we stupidly traded it away, we are just going to include whomever our first pick was, no matter who they are or where they were selected.
The Canucks are the only team who drafts each year. Listing recent draft picks despite no new information is a great strategy to show how much of an edge we have as the only-drafting team.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I love how it's always.

Something good : Benning didn't do it.
Something bad : Benning did it.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The Canucks are the only team who drafts each year. Listing recent draft picks despite no new information is a great strategy to show how much of an edge we have as the only-drafting team.

Find me another team that has had more success between 2016-2019 drafting than Vancouver.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Klimovich is only 18 guys, so with an avg rebuild of 7-9 years that puts him right at his prime age 25/26. Benning is a genius and everything is right on track!

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Klimovich is only 18 guys, so with an avg rebuild of 7-9 years that puts him right at his prime age 25/26. Benning is a genius and everything is right on track!

And we will have our 2026 draft pick on an ELC at that time. He is only 13 right now! The future is bright!

Reactions: ekimbo

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I peeked over at Canucks.com forun for the first time 6 years, their activity is 10x more than here and most of it is pro-Benning and optimistic for next season.

It's a brand new slate next season and it's nice to see the broad fanbase renergized.
That is because they censored, sanitized and blocked most non cheerleaders, especially those that were able to see the logic or lack of logic in Benning's moves. I was able to "predict", guess, how each season would go and constantly reminded fans that the game is competitive and getting a participation ribbon was not a success.
I didn't go off on individual players, it wasn't Eriksson's fault Benning gave him his contract and I didn't blame everything under the sun for what the team ended up every year.
The old adage "The buck stops here" doesn't exist in Benning repertoire.

Fans blame the owners for interference and that might have been true under Gillis's final year but they retreated once they had to hire body guards for their kids. At that time the local media was intense in blaming them.
They stepped back totally and did nothing but sign checks and open the vault.
How some fans can believe they are hockey illiterate is laughable.
Apart from the Griffiths they have been some of the best owners in the league and IMO they should be much more involved. Like Schnieder was i for Philly when they were winners, Jacobs in Boston, Lemeiux in Pitt, Wirtz in Chicago, Vinik in Tampa, Foley in Vegas, Leonis in Washington and so forth. Even Melnyk in Ottawa drove his team to a lighting quick rebuild and TO.

At any rate we will have to wait to see how some of the regular season goes, usually the crap teams come out like they have a rocket up their arses.
At the start of the season ALL teams are contenders, they all start with the same points but by turkey day in the states most playoff spots are resolved, 70%+ and by the 2nd week in December 88%.

Benning high volume of work was a result of him not doing anything and saving it up so it could be praised, "Look how much he did!" of course this is because of "Look how much he didn't do and waited, again"
He got single minded again, and panicked, first sign was the Pearson deal and then paying extra for 2 guys that have less than 200 games in the NHL, Garland might be, MIGHT score some goals, 30? Not likely but then there is Poolman. But how did the team not invest in Zadorov? He went for a song and Van had a better tune to offer for a young giant with more than 200 games under his belt.

Benning insistence and the media reinforcing the idea that there are all these young guys on the team, who? Pettersson, Hughes and Hoglander? If any fans remember when Benning was first hired he purged the team of 25 to 29 year olds stating the team needed to get more youth.

I know a lot of fans really like Hughes but I see him as a position, as such he doesn't help the team, if anything he is hurting it. With most of his goals when on the ice he is the third or fourth player skating back into his zone. So much attention is needed by forwards to back him up it takes away from their game and creates an added pressure. Myers is called on the carpet when playing with him for a give away, but Hughes gives away 4 or 5 a game and silence.

Benning loves him no doubt, he has to fill the regular season with entertainment and having the little Huggy Bear dashing around all over the place does that, like seeing a little kid on the ice.

If all else fails to make a dent in those CDC cheerleaders there is the Benning records.
No Canuck GM -
has had as many 1rst round picks, as many top 10 picks (5)
Has had as many losses
Has spent so much money, over a billion dollars (includes operations)
Has traded away more draft picks 23, over 3 years worth of picks
Has lowered the franchise value by over 30%
Has ever had a flying Banner
Had the weakest team in Canada

But the meat is the 301 losses and 234 wins in 535 games, a winning percentage of .437%, with only Buffalo worse during the same 7 yr time period

Canucks only made the playoffs ONCE legitimately, it took a world wide epidemic, the NHL expanding on playoff teams, the NHL allowing the Canucks to play non playoff games while 13 million over the cap and mind blowing play by two goalies to even have any success, being out shot 3 to 1 or allowing 50 shots a game is not a system.

At this point I am looking over the new players and comparing them to what is gone, so far there is some improvement but not nearly enough to warrant thinking about a playoff spot.

Holby - Halak - baffling, the cost and cap hit end up being the same and it might be a downgrade
OEL - Edler, hard to say defensively Edler might have been better
Hamonic - should be about the same but a little older and slower
Poolman - an question mark, Schmidt was better, so a downgrade
Schenn - upgrade over ?
Hunt - someone brought in to make Hughes look not so tiny?

Garland - who the heck knows? Better than Virtanen, maybe
A whole raft of bottom six guys, quite a few failed last year when they got their chance.

Benning will be counting on other teams being worse but this group will need to beat;
San Jose
Anaheim
LA
Kraken

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I peeked over at Canucks.com forun for the first time 6 years, their activity is 10x more than here and most of it is pro-Benning and optimistic for next season.

It's a brand new slate next season and it's nice to see the broad fanbase renergized.

Yet you still choose to post here despite the lower traffic and more negativity surrounding the team. Must to something to the discussion that keeps bringing you back

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
"I am going shopping at Costco!"

Benning's thoughts before free agency. Returns Schmidt for same price 1 year after purchase. Didn't buy OEL last year, but this year it looks great because it has Garland as a bonus. Thought he was genius to return Roussel, Beagle and Eriksson so decided it was simpler to consolidate all 3 contracts into 1 player (OEL) and do it all again for another 6 years. Finally sees the huge case on sale of all the AHL players hoping that maybe 1 or 2 will be good enough to wear to the big dance coming up.

Unfortunately, he will likely be thinking he is going shopping at Rodeo Drive stores when negotiating with Petey and Quinn.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I love how it's always.

Something good : Benning didn't do it.
Something bad : Benning did it.

That's total bulls****

Credit is given when Benning does something good.

The problem is that he very seldom makes good moves, and has made such a high volume of absolutely terrible moves, as seen with our own two eyes, backed up by insider reporting, backed up by listening to Benning speak, that it seems like its just a pile on Benning fest.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
I think some fans have been too hard on Benning over the years because the desire to win the cup right at that season.

Benning was brought in to keep pushing for the Cup for the Sedins's last years.

After, a proper rebuild started. Now, people can complain about the cap and contracts all they want, but we must realize that the team was never meant to win the cup in the past 5 years.

The mandate was always to build a long term sustainable effort to challenge for the cup year in and year out.

So they had to build a solid foundation first, sucking, getting picks, developing prospects.

Eriksson's contract was to think he can help the Sedins until they retire, after that? It didn't matter.

If you consider that as the base line, then it doesn't matter what the contracts signed were up until the core and window starts opening.

The thing that disrupted this all, was an unforseen amount of draft picks that developed so fast into the core, making those contracts that were suppose to expire by the time the team compete, into bad contracts.

Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander.
You cannot possibly think that you could get 4 impact rookies 4 years in a row. Nevermind the Calder level of the first 3, but Pettersson and Hughes turning into what they are.

So the team brought in Miller and Garland to join this sped up process, because Benning saw that the team is now ready to take the next step.

Mistakes happen, but it's how you face up to it and adjust.

Some may call me blind optimist.

I say they were short sighted every year and took the successful development of the kids as granted.

Had those kids not develop as fast, we would not be in this situation.
I feel like this is my dad talking. He doesn't really pay attention to the minutiae of the Canucks moves, but sees the marketing materials and is genuinely excited for the next faces of the franchise after the Sedins. When I talk with him about how JB should be fired out of a cannon into space, he calls me negative, talks about how I'm impatient, etc. I feel like this thinking is just a complete misread of why obsessive self-hating Canucks-loving losers like the posters of this board (myself included) are critical of the team.

No one is mad that Benning had a few great drafts. I love my son EP, and I want to see him lift a Cup in a parade on West Georgia. But every single day we allow JB to be our GM, we get farther away from that being likely in EP's career as a Canuck.

Good young players developing quickly should not be a hindrance to any team in any stage of their cycle. You are saying that the kids getting good turned these smart, safe vet deals into bad contracts, but that's not really true. They were always bad contracts, from the moment they were signed, as JB was a bad manager doing a poor job of building a team to push for the playoffs. The fact that the bad deals became millstones around the necks of our developing young players is a reflection of management's errors, not some unforeseen booboo for which we need to cut Benning some slack.

I think we're at the logical endpoint of a business lead by buffoons. They've been allowed the autonomy to mortgage the long-term future of the team on short-term, speculative bets that basically amount to "well we hope players will drastically improve or turn around their play in their 30s", a bet that hits for about 1/100 players. I, for one, am not excited for another 5 years resembling the last 5, but I personally don't really see a more likely outcome. For that reason, I am hoping against hope that Benning succeeds and we become a great team against all hope and logic. But I hate that rooting for my team requires me to root for a plan and a person that I think are incredibly stupid

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I feel like this is my dad talking. He doesn't really pay attention to the minutiae of the Canucks moves, but sees the marketing materials and is genuinely excited for the next faces of the franchise after the Sedins. When I talk with him about how JB should be fired out of a cannon into space, he calls me negative, talks about how I'm impatient, etc. I feel like this thinking is just a complete misread of why obsessive self-hating Canucks-loving losers like the posters of this board (myself included) are critical of the team.

No one is mad that Benning had a few great drafts. I love my son EP, and I want to see him lift a Cup in a parade on West Georgia. But every single day we allow JB to be our GM, we get farther away from that being likely in EP's career as a Canuck.

Good young players developing quickly should not be a hindrance to any team in any stage of their cycle. You are saying that the kids getting good turned these smart, safe vet deals into bad contracts, but that's not really true. They were always bad contracts, from the moment they were signed, as JB was a bad manager doing a poor job of building a team to push for the playoffs. The fact that the bad deals became millstones around the necks of our developing young players is a reflection of management's errors, not some unforeseen booboo for which we need to cut Benning some slack.

I think we're at the logical endpoint of a business lead by buffoons. They've been allowed the autonomy to mortgage the long-term future of the team on short-term, speculative bets that basically amount to "well we hope players will drastically improve or turn around their play in their 30s", a bet that hits for about 1/100 players. I, for one, am not excited for another 5 years resembling the last 5, but I personally don't really see a more likely outcome. For that reason, I am hoping against hope that Benning succeeds and we become a great team against all hope and logic. But I hate that rooting for my team requires me to root for a plan and a person that I think are incredibly stupid

Maybe it does feel like your dad talking because I speak with experience.

Life isn't always easy and goes the way someone wants it to.
Struggles are a part of life, it's just how we deal with it.

There are some blessed with early success (Chicago, Pittsburgh) who have a hard time achieving the peak again.

There are some flash in the pan (Los Angeles)
There are some who believe a lucky break means that they are destined, and forget to do any of the hard work. (Edmonton)

Some that just keeps pushing until success (Washington)
Some that are blessed, and goes through struggles before peaking (Tampa Bay)

Some who try to take short cuts and ultimately ruin their chances (Toronto)

Small ups and downs don't bother me much anymore, because it's a part of life, and maybe that's why I don't go jumping off a roof because of a Beagle signing. I bleed for this team as much as anyone else, but there isn't much complaining can do about it.

Unless, one of you decides to go get a GM job.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Maybe it does feel like your dad talking because I speak with experience.

Life isn't always easy and goes the way someone wants it to.
Struggles are a part of life, it's just how we deal with it.

There are some blessed with early success (Chicago, Pittsburgh) who have a hard time achieving the peak again.

There are some flash in the pan (Los Angeles)
There are some who believe a lucky break means that they are destined, and forget to do any of the hard work. (Edmonton)

Some that just keeps pushing until success (Washington)
Some that are blessed, and goes through struggles before peaking (Tampa Bay)

Some who try to take short cuts and ultimately ruin their chances (Toronto)

Small ups and downs don't bother me much anymore, because it's a part of life, and maybe that's why I don't go jumping off a roof because of a Beagle signing. I bleed for this team as much as anyone else, but there isn't much complaining can do about it.

Unless, one of you decides to go get a GM job.
I feel like this is the thinking of "well, GMs are allocated to each team and then they are there forever, I don't see any reason in complaining about what we have when we can't do any better". But, GMs can be fired! We can just get rid of the dumb guy! It's just that easy!

I talk with a friend of mine who is a big Suns fan, and before this season that has been a bleak existence. But even though they were terrible for a decade+, they at least kept firing the GMs when they were bad or unsuccessful, which allows fans to have hope. We keep trying the same thing, assuming that we'll get better, and I don't begrudge anyone who decides to tune the team out due to the stubborn insistence on offering so little long-term hope

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I feel like this is the thinking of "well, GMs are allocated to each team and then they are there forever, I don't see any reason in complaining about what we have when we can't do any better". But, GMs can be fired! We can just get rid of the dumb guy! It's just that easy!

I talk with a friend of mine who is a big Suns fan, and before this season that has been a bleak existence. But even though they were terrible for a decade+, they at least kept firing the GMs when they were bad or unsuccessful, which allows fans to have hope. We keep trying the same thing, assuming that we'll get better, and I don't begrudge anyone who decides to tune the team out due to the stubborn insistence on offering so little long-term hope

I don't think the way to solve things is to fire GMs constantly. Every new GM would just be sacrificing the future to secure their jobs.

NBA is a different game, you get a couple stars and you are good to go.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

Your dad must have seen my list, and understands the reality of the cap era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad