The Los Angeles Kings look bad

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
As a Ducks fan, I’m not writing them off. They have a way of surviving, and have some great key players.
They are paying some for their cups, and looking from cross town, I feel like we never made that “extra” push/risk to get ourselves over the line.

Sometimes you need to go all in, and the Kings did
Those two banners still look good I’d assume,as they treble right now

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Pretty obvious. Old core, lackluster coaching, general checked out country club attitude.

Carter should have been traded a year ago to help jump start the youth movement.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
hOt TaKe

Kovalchuk has easily been LA’s best forward.

I do like Kovalchuk as a player, he produces and shows up every single night, always had the potential to be the one who carried the team, but he's never been that guy in the NHL. Most of the time in his NHL career he missed the playoffs a lot.

He had two early exits with both New Jersey and Atlanta, Atlanta in 2007 didn't really have high expectations but that team was pretty damn good, but thought that year they had strong potential to advance to the second round. The Devils in 2010 were expected to maybe be one of the cup favourites, along with Chicago and Washington, but were out in five games to seventh seed Philadelphia. First team out as well.

In 2012 sure the Devils made the finals, in fact Kovalchuk did lead the team in points in both the regular and post-season. But the Devils had an easy ride to the finals if you ask me. Florida was overrated that year, Philadelphia I found to be shaky, NYR was their big challenge, and they lost to the Kings which were the eighth-seeded team. Although, nobody expected the Kings and Devils to be in the finals that year.

But in 2013 after Parise left, Kovy could barely carry the Devils.

On his teams in Russia he did do amazing, but SKA St. Petersberg was stacked all of those years. If it was the NHL they'd be in major cap trouble.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I do like Kovalchuk as a player, he produces and shows up every single night, always had the potential to be the one who carried the team, but he's never been that guy in the NHL.

No one asked or expected a 35 year old Kovalchuk to carry a team with names like Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, Quick, etc. He was simply to be a complimentary player. And yet he’s far exceeded expectations.

To pin any of the Kings current woes on Kovalchuk is just a huge tip off that you haven’t actually watched any Kings games.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
How has Kovalchuk looked overall (not just respective to other Kings players) since he came back? I really liked watching him play before he left. I know the whole team is struggling, but how good will he be when they break out of the slump?

Kovalchuk easily has the best hands on the team, a really good shot, and his speed is impressive. I think he will be really good once staff gets fired.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
they didn't even look good vs habs. they scored two quick goals and boxed out the smaller habs for rest of game. they gave up 40 shots and trapped 4 guys on blue line for 40 mins. they'll beat speedy teams only if they score first (or quick stands on his head) - and even then, that won't work vs teams with much more firepower than habs

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Kovalchuk easily has the best hands on the team, a really good shot, and his speed is impressive. I think he will be really good once staff gets fired.

Is it purely a staff/system thing right now or are players slumping too? I know the staff/system can lead to the slumps, but I mean have players been ringing posts/missing golden opportunities or they are just not able to play the game they should? I've only been able to catch bits and pieces of Kings games, but at times it looks like missed chances.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I do like Kovalchuk as a player, he produces and shows up every single night, always had the potential to be the one who carried the team, but he's never been that guy in the NHL. Most of the time in his NHL career he missed the playoffs a lot.

He had two early exits with both New Jersey and Atlanta, Atlanta in 2007 didn't really have high expectations but that team was pretty damn good, but thought that year they had strong potential to advance to the second round. The Devils in 2010 were expected to maybe be one of the cup favourites, along with Chicago and Washington, but were out in five games to seventh seed Philadelphia. First team out as well.

In 2012 sure the Devils made the finals, in fact Kovalchuk did lead the team in points in both the regular and post-season. But the Devils had an easy ride to the finals if you ask me. Florida was overrated that year, Philadelphia I found to be shaky, NYR was their big challenge, and they lost to the Kings which were the eighth-seeded team. Although, nobody expected the Kings and Devils to be in the finals that year.

On his teams in Russia he did do amazing, but SKA St. Petersberg was stacked all of those years. If it was the NHL they'd be in major cap trouble.

Awful lot of cherry picking and spin

Reminds me of all the Ovechkin is not a team leader hot takes

Reactions: Sentinel

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Kings should be in good shape, if they get an NHL tier coach and 1-2 players to tie everything together the way Carter did in 2012

On paper they have all the key slots filled with really good players

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Is it purely a staff/system thing right now or are players slumping too? I know the staff/system can lead to the slumps, but I mean have players been ringing posts/missing golden opportunities or they are just not able to play the game they should? I've only been able to catch bits and pieces of Kings games, but at times it looks like missed chances.

The Kings aren't playing structured hockey at all, Stevens says to reporters that he's pretty much confused as well. So it's obvious it's primarily the staff and then you can nitpick a few players. But I think those tend to correlate as you said.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Kings should be in good shape, if they get an NHL tier coach and 1-2 players to tie everything together the way Carter did in 2012

On paper they have all the key slots filled with really good players
The NHl has changed. This is not a playoff roster. It's not very talented.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Kovalchuk isn't slow he slimmed down. Has among the best zone entries and carries, he looked like the best king against the leafs I watched live.

But his shot looks....bad. by his standards. He doesn't have that slapshot like he did in Atlanta.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Kovalchuk isn't slow he slimmed down. Has among the best zone entries and carries, he looked like the best king against the leafs I watched live.

But his shot looks....bad. by his standards. He doesn't have that slapshot like he did in Atlanta.

I've hardly seen him use his shot, either because the coaching isn't utilizing it (especially on the powerplay) or his teammates aren't getting him the puck. I think that, if he'd take more shots, he'd get into a rhythm. After all, even Ovechkin tends to not score when he's taking only 1 or 2 shots per game. He relies on taking a large number of shots just so that one or two can go in.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't want to pile on the Kings because nothing sucks more then being constantly reminded you suck when you already know, as a Leaf fan that was a decade+ for me.

I noticed Kopitar seems to have stepped back yet again after having a Hart worthy season last year. Looks slower and less engaged but that was just 1 game against Toronto.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com

Twisting, turning, spinning, distorting... anything to fit the narrative.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I've hardly seen him use his shot, either because the coaching isn't utilizing it (especially on the powerplay) or his teammates aren't getting him the puck. I think that, if he'd take more shots, he'd get into a rhythm. After all, even Ovechkin tends to not score when he's taking only 1 or 2 shots per game. He relies on taking a large number of shots just so that one or two can go in.
That... and the fact that his shot is still the best in the world.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Don’t worry kings fans you’re playing buffalo tomorrow afternoon.

I’ve heard kings are slow, kings are old.....Whatever, you got elite superstars who are still great that havenwon multiple cups and some other good players. I like iafallo a lot. Play a decent game and you’ll win this one.

We’ve lost two in a row and in our four losses have been outscored 19-3. And it hasn’t even been the goaltending that’s really an issue, more team defence and the fact the offense goes through just one guy. The biggest problem is coaching and lack of an overall system. I can’t for the life of me figure out how housley was one of the best ever yet absolutely sucks at coaching. But I guess Gretzky was like that too. Difference is housley was a dman, you’d think he’d know how to teach that. This team has no system. The powerplay consists of eichel doing everything he can and then okposo will kill any momentum sustained and people check the only guy that does anything. The roster isn’t terrible but it’s one that should at least if they’re going to lose know what the hell they are doing. Lose with dignity. We have a stud in the backend because he’s 18 and a guy up front who does it all but has no support. I wish that was just a fan excuse but once you watch this game you will see what I mean.

If you bring your B game you will win.

It’s always fiunny when these games happen. Two teAms who are struggling so since there aren’t any ties anymore someone will break out.

Like Ottawa vs Montreal tomorrow only thats the opposite row teams expected to do bad and another will win yet again.

Or if Florida didn’t win today they meet Detroit and would of been the battle of the two teams who haven’t won.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't want to pile on the Kings because nothing sucks more then being constantly reminded you suck when you already know, as a Leaf fan that was a decade+ for me.

I noticed Kopitar seems to have stepped back yet again after having a Hart worthy season last year. Looks slower and less engaged but that was just 1 game against Toronto.

Kopitar hasn't been as threatening offensively this season. Doughty's been below par as well.

You're not off with your assessment.

Honestly the best players have been Iafallo, Kovalchuk and Jack Campbell.

Thank you for being gentle though ;)

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kopitar hasn't been as threatening offensively this season. Doughty's been below par as well.

You're not off with your assessment.

Honestly the best players have been Iafallo, Kovalchuk and Jack Campbell.

Thank you for being gentle though ;)

I noticed Iafallo in the LAK-TOR game, looks good. Kovalchuk has come back and done better than I had thought. I know you guys are missing Brown as well and he had a good bounce back year last season.

I'll take your word on Campbell, I think we caught him on a bad night.

I liked Kempe's hustle but looking at his stats, he isn't getting the results for his hard work.

Phaneuf looks awful.

I feel like the Kings have gotten caught in that classic trap of trying to keep the band together that won a cup but the reality is the window is definitely closed and if possible, try to sell off assets at the deadline if at all possible.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
Star players not playing up to par and no secondary scoring. Add mis-use of players, quick being injured (and probably being rushed back last night) and a coach that doesn't know what he is doing...yeah, we suck, and we know it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad