The Los Angeles Kings look bad

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Outscored 4-16 in their last 3 games, 2 games being against the powerhouses Senators and Islanders. 2-4-1 to start the season.

I only watched the game against the Jets and they didn't look very good, i think the good guys held them to under 20 shots.

I feel like the Kings are usually pretty feisty when they come home from a long road trip and need to snap a losing streak but instead they get pounded 7-2.

They started the season 11-2-2 last year with the same players and the same coach, except now they also have Kovalchuk who is tied for 2nd in points and have Carter healthy too. Sure Brown is out but with those two guys in they shouldn't be worse.

So, what's up? I sort of find it interesting how both the Kings and Blues came out of the gate firing on all cylinders last year and neither team have seem to fully realize it's a new season and points matter as much as they do in February.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Losing Quick has hurt the team a bit so far and not having Brown(who was a huge contributor last season) has also hurt the offense. Kovalchuk still has had some moments but so far he's been pretty slow and not as effective as of he could be. The fundamental reason they have been playing like trash though is the fact that Stevens is probably one of the worst coaches in the league.

Reactions: funky

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They're too slow for the modern NHL. You have to be a really, really good player to get by without strong skating these days. The Kings have a lot of guys with good skill and mediocre skating. I've watched portions of (I think) all of their games this year, and a couple of full games, and teams are skating circles around them.

All that said, Kovalchuk looks really good to me.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The Islanders have 2 elite skaters, but the rest of their lineup has to be among the slowest in the NHL. I don't think they had any advantage against the Kings in that department.

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
They also went and paid a 4th liner Kovalchuk a good chunk of money, that guy is a clown nowaydays. And rest of the Kings team is just too slow, NHL is so fast paced now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Islanders have 2 elite skaters, but the rest of their lineup has to be among the slowest in the NHL. I don't think they had any advantage against the Kings in that department.

Maybe not, but almost everybody else does. Every game I've seen (including the Isles game, but I could easily be wrong about it), it looked like the Kings were too slow to compete.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
just noticed Kopitar has 2 goals and that's it...crazy!

it's early still...the combo of a healthy Quick/Doughty/Kopitar/Carter should be enough to keep them in contention all year IMO

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Kings are the oldest and slowest team in the NHL. They won't make the playoffs.
Doughty resigned with LA, but he'll have to play through a long rebuild.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I guess button was right after all after watching last night only 2 years and 75 games to go.

Reactions: dukeofjive

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
No depth and Quick being injured is probably gonna kill your season.
They should trade the guys they can this year and begin the rebuild, they tried to hang on to contention for too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad