The Los Angeles Kings look bad

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No dude Kuznetsov was not the only reason just a part of it. It's that I wouldn't expect a Leaf fan to know what defense is.
Leafs allowed less GA than the Caps last season.
Caps won because primarliy their offensive players stepped-up and played their best. They hardly won because they are a great offensive team.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I hate to say it but great defense whether it's played slowly or not will continue to win championships. But I digress. My biggest shock was the Kings fans advocating that Stevens be fired already

I don’t know what Stevens is like behind the scenes. Many responded to him after Sutter’s shelf life expired.

Something seems off since Vegas tho. LA rides its top two lines and doesn’t get much from the bottom two. Kopi looked exhausted in the Vegas series.

Kovalchuk was brought in to give Kopi a sniper and as a new weapon on the PP (Another Achilles heel for LA).

LA is trying to bring in youth but they are not difference makers. Iafallo is a good add but he doesn’t score much. Kempe shows flashes of Kovalev but has 1 goal in 30 something games.

It’s a transition on the fly while trying to stay competitive. The last four years have just been let downs and underachieving. Losing Voynov and the decline of Richards really hurt the team. What could have been? At least they had a good run ;)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If they were dressed like Oilers would it have been more believable?

oilers-ugh.png

j5w8RUl.jpg

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
They look awful. Is it not abundantly clear that they won't win with this roster? Why are they not selling their veteran pieces off yet?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Leafs allowed less GA than the Caps last season.
Caps won because primarliy their offensive players stepped-up and played their best. They hardly won because they are a great offensive team.

This shit again?

Yes, the Leafs had great goaltending. GA=/= Great defence, especially when the Leafs bled high scoring chances and gave up a shit ton of shots.

This season the Leafs have given up the second amount of shots.

You keep dodging this, over and over and over.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
They look awful. Is it not abundantly clear that they won't win with this roster? Why are they not selling their veteran pieces off yet?

Whenever you have A franchise goalie, a top three dman and a top 5 center, you tend to still go for it.

But it is a matter of time.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kings are the slowest team in the league. That's not good. Also, Quick seems to be in retirement home mode.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Jeff Carter was a massive part of their success. He hasn't looked like even a 2C this year

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Carter and Pearson haven't been the same since their leg injuries. The team has clearly quit on yet another coach. I hope Blake has the balls to bring in a hard ass like Roy. Doubtful considering he hired the coach the players wanted, I can't wait until he hires Tony Granato or a buddy of his and Luc's.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Watching the game right now.
Kovalchuk and Doughty are the most noticeable players. Outside that, nothing overpowering.

If LA misses the playoffs and has a bottom 10 finish, is there anyway Quick becomes available? Or is it the consensus that management will try to contend for as long as possible with the current core?

Asking as a Panthers fan.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Kovalchuk has had decent jump today though. Completely broke up a bad pass by scandella and came close a couple other times.

Haven’t noticed Kopitar a lot other then a decent chance where he shot wide in the first.

Kopitar is in my top five centers.

Kings are the slowest team in the league. That's not good. Also, Quick seems to be in retirement home mode.

He was dominant in the playoffs. Maybe he has penguin syndrome where you win a multiple cups and know when it’s time to turn it on. But with the west like it is, will they make it?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To an outsider, it might seem premature to criticize the team construction and its head coach, considering some of the things that went right last year (making the playoffs again, winning the Jennings and Kopitar and Doughty being finalists for the Hart and Norris, respectively). The problem is that the things that went right masked all of the things that were wrong with the team. They made the playoffs because a very strong start to the season, a temporary boost from having a new coach, made up for an unimpressive last 2/3rds of the season. They won the Jennings because they were mostly playing Sutter's system still and old habits take time to die. Finally, Kopitar and Doughty playing as well as they did made up for some of the lack of depth and hid other players not carrying their weight.

If you follow the team more closely, you've seen that it's steadily gotten worse under Stevens. Their strong start last season was followed by an unimpressive last half, then by being swept in the 1st round, then by this start. It's a bad sign for a coach and it's hard to see it being a fluke, especially when that coach seems to have no answers.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
Kings fans might flame me for this but I honestly don't think they've drafted well recently and it's showing in their lack of depth

Reactions: Brodie562

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
It's like watching the Ducks this season except they don't have any real promising rookies.... or Gibson..... We are in the same boat in terms of getting outplayed. But I guess the Ducks have the injury excuse

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Trade Quick and Kovy load up on picks and retool the 10 pylons on the roster. 2 cups in recent history, and 2 very strong drafts coming up - nothing to be ashamed about in a rebuild. Keep Doughty and Kopi.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
They are old and slow. It was time to rebuild a couple years ago. Not sure why teams like Detriot, LA and others stretch it out for soo long. Sure you might get into the playoffs a couple more times but are never a threat.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They still have a good core with Kopitar and Doughty, but it’s pretty obvious everything else is stale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad