The Los Angeles Kings look bad

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This all trickles back to Dean Lombardi and how he mortgaged the future for 2 cups. It seemed like a good idea at the time and winning cups is priceless but it resulted in the Kings having ZERO players coming up in the system that can make an immediate impact. Couple that with the fact he handed out $3M contracts like it was Halloween and we got a recipe for disaster
Lombardi did REALLY, REALLY bad long-term damage. You can win cups without doing what he did. The decision to not take a free buyout on Richards may have been the most bizarre decision I have ever seen.

Reactions: LAKings88

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
When your star Dman says for the first time in his hockey career he's worried about failing if they don't score on the powerplayer is concerning. Stevens is making a lot questionable choices and he needs to be removed first before the Kings start trading away complacent players.

Last edited:

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
They need a full-blown rebuild at this point from the top down. The hirings of Luc, Blake, and Steven's basically confirmed the organization is a country club now, and those results show on the ice. Outside of a few guys everyone just looks content to be where they are at, no fire or intensity anymore.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I believe in Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick still.

Kovalchuk has been good honestly. He does tend to make risky plays but they often pay off.

LA has offensive players but they are streaky and top heavy. Always have been. They have had to be a defensive first team imho just due to personnel.

The last four years have been mediocre and underachieving for what they have proven they can do.

The two times they made the playoffs in those years they couldn’t beat the teams that made it to the finals. Teams that rolled four lines.

The PP hasn’t been deadly or consistent for sometime now. Tough for a team that has streaky scoring. Kopitar has carried the offense in LA for most of his career.

I think Stevens isn’t a good head coach. I think he made Blake’s transition easier last year but the Kings need a hard ass, problem is those coaches have short shelf lives.

The pipeline has Vilardi (big health guestion) and Kupari and not much else. I think with the parity in the league, LA will need to figure out an identity soon if they don’t want to be picking in the lottery. Hell, maybe they should be this year. Lose for Hughes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingspiracy

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
As a Kings fan, anyone blaming Kovalchuk is on crack. He looks like one of the best forwards.

Anyways, the Kings headcoach and offense coach are absolutely dreadful. They're the biggest problems ainec.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Their depth and defense corps are mediocre, but have been for several years and they still managed to almost win their division a few seasons ago and then had a torrid start to last season. They can play better than this. The reason that they're not is the coaching.

Stevens sacrificed the one thing that they were good at--team defense--to try to get more goals that haven't come, so, now, the team is bad at scoring and bad at defending. Nashville, when they wanted to move on from Trotz' defensive system, hired Laviolette, a coach known for employing a fast-paced offensive system. LA, when it wanted to move on from Sutter's defensive system, promoted the guy who managed the team's defense for 6 years under Sutter. It wasn't hard to guess that it would fail. When you want offense, you hire someone who knows offense, not someone who knows defense and then cross your fingers that sacrificing the thing that he knows will produce the thing that he doesn't.

The team has no identity anymore (unless being bad at everything is an identity) and nearly every player is underperforming. They may be old and slow, but they're getting chances, like all of the 2-on-1s last night. They're just either not getting shots (how they had so many 2-on-1s last night and failed to even register a shot, I don't know) or their shots are so bad that they don't beat even Garrett Sparks (who allowed 6 to CHI in his only other game this season). It looks like no one on the team has any confidence. It's natural for a few players, at any one time, to be slumping and low on confidence, but, when it's nearly the whole team, you have a coaching problem.

Their forwards suck so bad outside of Kopitar and Kempe.

Kempe is not good. His goal a few nights ago was his first since last January or so (yes, he was healthy last season and played the final 30-some games without scoring) and he's taken 6 minor penalties in 7 games so far, and at least half of those were in the offensive zone. He might become good in a year or two, but he's still a project and ought to be scratched tomorrow because of how undisciplined he was last night.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Need to shake up coaching.

They're still a good team to be honest. Problem is they don't really have new guys coming in that are capable of maintaining the consistency of quality in their roster. You have a core of aging players who are great and then... nothing really. Aging players don't tend to get better.

They are a good team - but not a great one. And with their current model they certainly won't be improving any time soon.

That being said - I wouldn't be shocked to see them make the playoffs.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Who's looked like their best player so far? I'd imagine its Kovalchuk? He's been scoring working with nothing.

I'm trying to decide whether I keep Dadonov or Kovalchuk for fantasy pool hmm
Dadonov

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Is it just me or is Kovalchuk not a team player.

It's just you.

Not alot different than last year. Could you imagine this team if Doughty leaves?

It would be a shambles. Thank you for acknowledging that. For far too long people have suggested Drew is just a passenger or cog in the system but they don't often realize how bad the Kings are until he has a bad game or he's off the ice.

If the Kings were to enter a FULL rebuild, they'd HAVE to trade Doughty and Kopitar, because those guys alone (and Quick) can will the team to the bubble.

Reactions: funky

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
When the heaviest team in the NHL makes you look slow, you've got problems.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Lombardi did REALLY, REALLY bad long-term damage. You can win cups without doing what he did. The decision to not take a free buyout on Richards may have been the most bizarre decision I have ever seen.
Toronto knows all about winning cups in the modern era. DL gave Mike the benefit of a doubt that off season but gravely underestimated the trouble he was getting in with drug abuse and his deteriorating body. What really derailed the Kings was Voynov.

Reactions: Brodie562

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
As a Kings fan, anyone blaming Kovalchuk is on crack. He looks like one of the best forwards.
How has Kovalchuk looked overall (not just respective to other Kings players) since he came back? I really liked watching him play before he left. I know the whole team is struggling, but how good will he be when they break out of the slump?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Not alot different than last year. Could you imagine this team if Doughty leaves?

They are going to be bad with or without Doughty soon.

Jeff Carter and Anxa Kopitar have been two of the most underrated players in the league but they will both be hitting their mid 30s soon.

A decline by either is going to be hard to fill.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
How has Kovalchuk looked overall (not just respective to other Kings players) since he came back? I really liked watching him play before he left. I know the whole team is struggling, but how good will he be when they break out of the slump?
He looks fine when they let him be a shooter.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Pearson, Amadio, Toffoli, Lewis, Thompson, Carter, and Kempe have all sucked really badly.

Basically a majority of our players.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
They are looking like the Red Wings from 2010 - now. Not a lot of star power under the age of 25 after a period of winning a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad