The Lockout Thread Part II (Lockout over)

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Yay, I'll be back to watch but will not bring myself to give any money to the NHL. Bars and tv will be it for me. Can't deal with the thought of being an "enabler" by going back like a good sheep.

Now... To get re-aquainted with our roster and argue about who makes it and who doesn't!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Great to see the situation resolved. I had severely underestimated the scope of the issues so, initially, I was surprised to see the dispute endure as long as it did.

From what I have read, the salary cap means something. It can't be circumvented by front-ended, long term deals and burying players in the AHL. There are a few "amnesty" buyouts, but-as I read the deal-teams will basically be stuck with bad signings.

I've always looked at this as nothing more than a rough labor/management dispute. It won't impact my interest in the game one iota. There were plenty of significant issues to be resolved to both sides satisfaction and it was not going to be an overnight matter-obviously:laugh: 8 years of labor peace are now guaranteed, a "real" cap, and some more revenue sharing make the prospects brighter for the teams in the lower financial echelon. All in all, a very positive agreement from this CBJ fan's perspective.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think this is a very strong article from Scott Burnside at ESPN and worth sharing:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8817964/nhl-lockout-but-damage-done-irreparable

Wow, a somewhat sensible article about the NHL from an ESPN reporter.

I'll be back, but I will stand pat with my commitment. No merchandise, no paying for NHL games of any sort (be it in tickets or on TV/internet), basically no supporting the NHL financially for double the term of the lockout. 116 days from now puts me into May; which essentially means I won't be spending any money on the NHL until next year.

Call it one man's stand to put a small financial hurt on the large pocket book of the NHL.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
No NHL licensed merchandise for me, and I won't be spending money at the concessions stands. I will go to the games since I have season tickets.

I want to punish the NHL, but I really don't want to put the screws to the CBJ that hard. They at least still have my ticket money for the games left.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Wow, a somewhat sensible article about the NHL from an ESPN reporter.

I'll be back, but I will stand pat with my commitment. No merchandise, no paying for NHL games of any sort (be it in tickets or on TV/internet), basically no supporting the NHL financially for double the term of the lockout. 116 days from now puts me into May; which essentially means I won't be spending any money on the NHL until next year.

Call it one man's stand to put a small financial hurt on the large pocket book of the NHL.

Good article by Burnside - thanks for sharing, Pete.

As I said already, I also will be not spending any direct money on the NHL this year. I am planning on making a regular visit to the R-bar and the like to catch games, however, in addition to watching streamed games. I'll reassess for next year. As a start, I'd like to see Bettman gone (and Fehr gone as well, but his influence on the game will be negligible once the ink dries on the CBA).

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
A good idea to the NHL to help start the healing process, is free Center Ice this year. Theyre going to need to get the common joe back, and may as well try and showcase it by having all the games available to everyone

Even if they don't do free center ice, how about a free gamecenter live streaming game of the night. MLB does the same thing w/MLB.TV. Fans get a free game each day and MLB gets a chance to market MLB.TV via a "test drive" of sorts (and pocket some sponsorship $ on the days they can sell the presenting sponsorship of the Free Game Of The Day).

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I understand those who feel so strongly about the labor issues that they choose to withhold funds from the league; however, I'm not among them. I follow hockey for my pleasure and I will get as much from their return as I can.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I understand those who feel so strongly about the labor issues that they choose to withhold funds from the league; however, I'm not among them. I follow hockey for my pleasure and I will get as much from their return as I can.

Pretty much my opinion. I was not harmed in their fight. As I have stated, I had no skin in the game. I have done other things until the return. Now that it is back, I am more than ready to watch some games. Even more so with our new look.

I am just disappointed that we don't get our first real look at Murray in camp, nor do we get the All-Star game. Who I am the most concerned for is those that work for the franchise and their families that were negatively affected.

Paisano*

I will also be at the games, I love the game and going too much to let a bunch of greedy players and stupid owners keep me away. All of you who say you won't go, that is your prerogative, however if by some miracle this team is competitive and has a good shot at making the playoffs I suspect a few dollars may make it out of your pockets for tickets! I'll see you there!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.......FIRE HOWSON!!

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
i will be back, because I am a fan. I didn't like what went on, I am angry at both sides, but I will forgive and soon forget. but I don't know when i will be back. I may not attend early on, because by all accounts the hockey will be horrible, and I don't know if my schedule will allow it, but I will be back

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Go Jackets, and John Davidson!

John is the best thing since inception... As for the shortened season, anything can happen but I'd say those teams with the best goal tenders will have the advantage...

No inter conference play will not help the CBJ as they have had a history of playing well vs. the East...

The Jackets must consistently beat their division rivals for any chance to make the playoffs.. We will see.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@FriedgeHNIC: NHL sends memo to clubs indicating no camps before Saturday (and may not open until Monday), 48-game season to begin Jan. 19”

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Barring a shift to 16:14 conference alignment, this can't be done in a strictly intra-conference schedule.

Unless there's a way to cleanly divide an odd number by 2...

UmpOi.gif

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, but it makes obvious sense. The report on the full slate must've been erroneous.

robo1

Jordin Tootoo sucks
Jan 30, 2007
Hilliard, OH
This was my Facebook status just now:

HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I will be taking in a game. They haven't lost me in any way

haha, that was also my status, and I feel the same way. Thank god hockey is back!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad