The Lockout Thread Part II (Lockout over)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Winning doesn't necessarily guarantee attendance. Phoenix and New Jersey are good examples of that. Of course, if it happens with the CBJ, it will be such a novelty that people will flock to it. Regardless, the team better have a fan-recovery plan ready to go.

Winning has positively affected attendance in Columbus already once in the past. Look at the season right after we made the playoffs.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I think the "Fan recovery plan" was John Davidson. At least, I believe they (ownership, entrenched current management) are hedging significant bets on it. After the loss of Nash in the very public trade maneuverings and the death spiral the organization took from the start last season, I don't see much to else to hedge significant bets on right now anyways. Prospects are probably a good 2 years away from significant contributions, Goaltending, despite what looks to be a solid start to building organization depth this past draft, is still incredibly weak considering the depth chart right now. Players like Atkinson, Audy-Marchessault, Johansen, etc, didn't need this lockout right now in terms of their development.

Like it or not, I think the majority of any Fan Recovery Plan starts with John Davidson, sprinkle in some Jack Johnson and a touch of James Wizniewski...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The entire stretch run in 2008-09 was a string of sellouts as well. Attendance at the start of the season was worse than ever.

One thing that has really stood out to me is the complete lack of CBJ player comments about the lockout. That goes for both to the papers and on Twitter. The closest I've seen is RJ Umberger's bizarre need to retweet everything that Allan Walsh says, which is annoying as hell.

I don't know if someone suggested to the players that withholding comment was a good thing, but I can't see any player that fans could specifically point to and say, "I no longer care for that guy as a result of what he said."

Umberger's retweet's are the sole reason I unfollowed all NHL players during the lockout about 4-6 weeks ago.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
I'm all for the move to the Eastern Conference. I was not in favor of the 14 team and 16 team conferences plan that was floated last year.

I will miss not seeing the Hawks, Wings & Preds several times a year.

All of this is pending if the rumor is true and a CBA is ever reached.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
If the deal is going to happen without cancelling the season, it will be before Wednesday. No way the league allows that disclaimer of interest to happen and still keeps hope of a season.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Winning has positively affected attendance in Columbus already once in the past. Look at the season right after we made the playoffs.

We were discussing attd in the new reality of the recent seasons of crapitude and lockout.

I also place no faith in reported attd. I know what I saw: empty seats, many of them paid for but not sat in. The trade loss of our one single recognizable star probably won't help either.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
We were discussing attd in the new reality of the recent seasons of crapitude and lockout.

I also place no faith in reported attd. I know what I saw: empty seats, many of them paid for but not sat in. The trade loss of our one single recognizable star probably won't help either.

As for the bold....BS.... If the Jackets win the Eastern Conference this season without him the City of Columbus will hardly remember the guy.... book it.

Caveat... its sport not emotion.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I will miss not seeing the Hawks, Wings & Preds several times a year.

On the plus side, I don't have to endure watching Nationwide get overrun by Hawks and Wings fans.

On the negative side, I have to endure more games with Nationwide getting overrun by Pens fans. And recently the Pens fans have been the worst of the bunch. They create such a crappy atmosphere for the CBJ fans that I'm not sure I'd want to go.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
I also thought the Buffalo fans were obnoxious.

Oh man are they obnoxious, but we tend to win more against them it seems. I just remember being in the arena, the CBJ pasting Buffalo, after all the drunken pre-game trash talk I endured from a trio of Sabres fans, and smiling as I hear the crowd erupt into a mocking chant of "Go home Buffalo!"

That was a fun game. Think it was this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upCtGsVyIqc

On a slightly sad note, I just realized that none of the guys who scored the goals in this game are still with the team...

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If we start winning, all will be forgiven. To me the most glaring example is Season 2. After the upbeat first season, GNat was sold out for the season during year two. Of course that is when the team firmly grasped the cycle of suck that it has never really let go since. And then attendance started dropping little by little starting with Season 3. I do think that across the NHL attendance will be down during whatever mini-season they come up with after the strike.

Again, speaking just for myself as a person who enjoys hockey but is not a hockey fanatic, I still wish the whole season would be cancelled and have a 2013 draft based upon the results of last season. If there is a mini-season my worst fear is that we will actually be successful and screw ourselves out of a top pick in this upcoming draft. I must say that if we handle this draft right and boost our skill players the way we have boosted our d in the past few years, CBJ could be set for a very successful long term run in the near future.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio

Amen to the bolded part. The bright spot in the lockout for me, in part, is that I didn't have to see Nasher skating for the Rags so soon after wearing union blue. (that and the European vacation my STH refund is funding)

Sport IS emotion, if you disagree I don't understand that.

Nash did more for Columbus hockey than anyone else besides Mr. Mac.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Nash did more for Columbus hockey than anyone else besides Mr. Mac.

This is all that needs to be said about the Rick Nash situation. Star players are quickly forgotten when the wins start piling up ... ask Bruins fans how they feel about the Joe Thornton trade right now. I think we're a better team after the Rick Nash trade - or, at least, are finally taking a step in the right direction and building this team properly, from the ground up - instead of around one great player.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
As for the bold....BS.... If the Jackets win the Eastern Conference this season without him the City of Columbus will hardly remember the guy.... book it.

Not only that, Rick Nash would be singled out as the CAUSE for the CBJ's suckage all these years.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Not only that, Rick Nash would be singled out as the CAUSE for the CBJ's suckage all these years.

I think any true hockey fan would know that this isn't the case. While he didn't factor into major winning success here, it's hard to pin the entire history of the franchise's failures onto one man's shoulders.

Unless that man is Doug MacLean.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa

:laugh:
You kill me Robert.

What's are the better odds?

1. Jackets suck, attd low, Nash rocks NYC
2. Jackets win the Eastern Conference.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think any true hockey fan would know that this isn't the case. While he didn't factor into major winning success here, it's hard to pin the entire history of the franchise's failures onto one man's shoulders.

Unless that man is Doug MacLean.

Mark my words. There would be some, albeit small, part of the fanbase that would. I'd love to find out for certain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad