The Lockout Thread Part II (Lockout over)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Better get our avatars for this season ready...

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

A tentative agreement has been reached between NHL and NHLPA - source

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Confirmed by @Sportsnet. Tentative #CBA deal reached. Congrats hockey fans!

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Lockout is tentatively over.

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
Hard to keep all the rumors straight over the last couple weeks. Weren't we supposedly flipping divisions with Winnipeg?

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
Finally Over

ESPN reporting there is an agreement. On TV only so far...

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Looks like Bettman and Fehr have confirmed. Sounds like 50 games if season starts on the 15th or 48 games if it starts on the 19th. I am most interested in seeing how revenue sharing was settled.

"Don Fehr and I are here to tell you that we have reached an agreement on the framework of a new collective bargaining agreement, the details of which need to be put to paper," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed to reporters early Sunday morning.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

Let's get it on with the hockey!!

Last edited:

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
Looks like Bettman and Fehr have confirmed. Sounds like 50 games if season starts on the 15th or 48 games if it starts on the 19th. I am most interested in seeing how revenue sharing was settled.

Let's get it on with the hockey!!

?!

Link? :D

EDIT: Nevermind

Abbondanza, CBJ fans!

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I will find it very hard to generate any enthusiasm for this short season. But it is very good news for so many in the Arena District who need hockey to support their businesses.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Brooks came out with the rumour while Dreger said it was false.

Supposedly they already have a 50 game and 48 game schedule ready to go. You would think that if that were the case we would have heard something by now. Of course the way things have been going, who the hell knows. I really don't see why the Jets and CBJ couldn't switch if both teams were really pushing for it.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Supposedly they already have a 50 game and 48 game schedule ready to go. You would think that if that were the case we would have heard something by now. Of course the way things have been going, who the hell knows. I really don't see why the Jets and CBJ couldn't switch if both teams were really pushing for it.

Who makes the call? Does it have to get approved by a vote by the owners(or GM's or even the NHLPA)? Can Gary Bettman just do it on his own?

Also, I guess if another team(Detroit) argues that it should be them and not Columbus could be a problem. But in a tweet, I think Brooks said with the Blue Jackets and the Jets being both non playoff teams last year, it would be fair. I guess we'll find out soon.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Probably because it would make too much sense.

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
The timing is about exactly on 94-95. Here is what happened there:

The lockout ended on January 11, 1995. As a result, the league shortened the season length from 84 games, the length of the previous two seasons, to 48. Furthermore, the season would last from January 20 to May 3; this was the first and only time in NHL history that the regular season extended into May. Regular-season games would be limited to intra-conference play (Eastern Conference teams did not play Western Conference teams). During the lockout, the NHL and NHLPA agreed to shorten future seasons to 82 games. San Jose, which was to host the All-Star game that year, was awarded the 1997 game instead.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Who makes the call? Does it have to get approved by a vote by the owners(or GM's or even the NHLPA)? Can Gary Bettman just do it on his own?

Also, I guess if another team(Detroit) argues that it should be them and not Columbus could be a problem. But in a tweet, I think Brooks said with the Blue Jackets and the Jets being both non playoff teams last year, it would be fair. I guess we'll find out soon.

All good questions. Of course the big consideration for both teams is travel expenses, and time zone differentials.

A lot of people assume money isn't the issue with Canadian teams, but I read an interesting article about that a while back and I wish I could remember where to link to it. It was all about Corporate sponsorships, and how the smaller market Canadian teams, while filling their arenas every night, struggle more for the big corporate money.

Anyway, don't want to get OT. I think it would be a great idea to switch them. It would be nice to be able to watch all CBJ games. I am in bed for the west coast 10:30 starts.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
All good questions. Of course the big consideration for both teams is travel expenses, and time zone differentials.

A lot of people assume money isn't the issue with Canadian teams, but I read an interesting article about that a while back and I wish I could remember where to link to it. It was all about Corporate sponsorships, and how the smaller market Canadian teams, while filling their arenas every night, struggle more for the big corporate money.

Anyway, don't want to get OT. I think it would be a great idea to switch them. It would be nice to be able to watch all CBJ games. I am in bed for the west coast 10:30 starts.
For me, it's the opposite. By the time I get off work, I've missed most of the game(not including the weekends) so I rely on the late starts to catch a full game. Then again, Columbus has more success when I don't watch them play compared to when I do it could be a good thing.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Good day for the various non-NHLPA/NHL workers who have been needlessly hurt by this garbage.

From what's trickling down about the final deal, I don't think there's anything earth-shattering in there that couldn't have been hammered out months ago. Hope it was worth it for both sides...

Oh well, the best thing about the deal is that we will have at least another 8 years before we get another lockout.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I should be pissed at the owners and players for the shenanigans they pulled these last several months, but when I woke up this morning and heard there was a deal, the first thing I looked for was the revised schedule so I can start planning my next few months. I suspect many of the people who said they'd never watch the NHL again, etc., are going to find it difficult to stay away once the games start. It's the most exciting sport out there, and despite my feelings that us fans got screwed in the whole thing, I'll have a hard time not going to Nationwide.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I'm kind of ho hum about a shortened season. I will go and watch them play having left my half season on the books.

My biggest interest this year will be to see who wants to play for the Jackets. Davidson will be quietly in the background dropping the hammer on guys showing just for a paycheck.

Lastly, I would have been ok with a cancelled season at this point, I never thought I would feel so apothetic towards NHL hockey as I still do now that lockout is over.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
I'm glad hockey is back.....I've missed it. I also missed posting & reading the collective angst here!

The lockout sucked, as usual the fans & support staff at the various arenas & surrounding businesses take the brunt of it. Always have, always will.

Anyway...........let the arguments over line combinations begin!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad