Line Combos: The Lineup 2016/2017

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I love Komarov and Leivo but I think Nylander really needs to play with one of our top forwards.

Why mess with success
Leivo is tied for 5th in the AHL in scoring while playing with Nylander

The other thing to remember is Leivo cant pass through waivers any more so we could potentially lose him if we send him back to the marlies

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Everybody has Stamkos pencilled in. Kind of ridiculous. Obviously a possibility but I would say it is farfetched right now.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Lupul - Kadri - Komarov
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Leivo - Nylander - Brouwer (sign 3 years @ 4 million)
Winnik - Froese - Leipsic

Reilly - RHD
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Loov - Hunwick/Harrington/Zaitsev

Reimer
Bernier/Sparks

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As far as fanboy comments are concerned, this ranks right up there. As far as knowledgeable discussion is concerned, this tanks.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Everybody has Stamkos pencilled in. Kind of ridiculous. Obviously a possibility but I would say it is farfetched right now.

I don't think it is far fetched at all. its just unbelievable that stamkos would possibly be available. it really looks like his days in tampa are numbered. if he leaves tampa where is he going to go?

Toronto just seems like the obvious choice. out of a possible 29 teams where stamkos could choose, how many have both the cap space + the need for stamkos assuming he would be signing as a center?

stamkos signing in a place like Nashville or Columbus seems random. growing up in Toronto it is hard to see him signing in montreal or Ottawa.

Toronto just seems logical. it is just so hard to fathem that we would be lucky to have someone like stamkos want to come here and him being a ufa in the first place.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

Where else is he going to go? How many teams are able to pay him $10+ mil?

We've got the cap space. We're his hometown team. I think there's a very good chance he comes here. I would be very surprised if he ends up someplace else.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

We've got the cap space. We're his hometown team. I think there's a very good chance he comes here. I would be very surprised if he ends up someplace else.

Just because we have the cap space to offer a deal doesn't mean it's a smart move. I'd be hesitant to pay anything more than 8 times 8.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Option 2:

JvR-Kadri-Marner
Ladd-Nylander-Komarov
Lupul-Bozak-Kapanen
Winnik-Froese-Jones

Rielly-Hunwick
Gardiner-Phaneuf
Percy-Coburn

Reimer
Sparks

who is jones?
where did ladd and coburn come from?
is kapanen nhl ready?
jvr+kadri = no chemsitry

how much does ladd+coburn cost? ladd and coburn are each making around $4.5 million and are both around 30. presumably they would both want 5+ year deals and a raise. wouldnt you rather give the same amount of money to a 26 year old stamkos?

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Lupul - Nylander - Leivo
Holland - Kadri - Komarov
Winnik - Spaling - Matthias

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Chychrun
Percy - Harrington
Zaitsev

Bozak + polak traded

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Best case Ontario IMO:

JvR Stamkos Marner
Vesey Nylander Komarov
Winnik Kadri Lupul
Holland Froese Leivo/Brown

Gardiner Phaneuf
Reilly Chychrun
Harrington Zaitsev
Percy Hunwick

Realistically:

JvR Bozak Marner
Lupul Nylander Komarov
Winnik Kadri UFA
Holland Froese Leivo

Gardiner Phaneuf
Reilly Hunwick
Harrington UFA

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Best case Ontario IMO:

JvR Stamkos Marner
Vesey Nylander Komarov
Winnik Kadri Lupul
Holland Froese Leivo/Brown

Gardiner Phaneuf
Reilly Chychrun
Harrington Zaitsev
Percy Hunwick

Realistically:

JvR Bozak Marner
Lupul Nylander Komarov
Winnik Kadri UFA
Holland Froese Leivo

Gardiner Phaneuf
Reilly Hunwick
Harrington UFA

i think worst case we could be looking at something like

komorov kadri marner
jvr bozak leivo
holland nylander lupul
winnik froese ufa vet

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
How many points do you guys think Nylander would put up as 2C?

I'm thinking he might be able to get 20-30-50

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Lupul won't get traded until next off-season. His actual dollars for his contract drop to $3.75M, where this year they're $6.75M!

Bozak seems to be well-liked, so won't see him moved as he's not the kind of player a team would over-pay to get.

Phaneuf has also regained his form from his Calgary days. He's a very solid #2 defender, and worth the contract he's getting.

So those three vets will very likely remain here next season.

Adding to that, we're very likely going to see only 2-3 rookies promoted any given year, barring exceptional circumstances (which Marner might be one of these).

Finally, there's a saying in chess that to reach the level of master, you need 10,000 hours of practice/study. (To reach grandmaster level, it's 30,000). Management keeps saying they want our prospects to "master" the AHL. To me, that seems like what was happening in Detroit, where players need roughly 150 games in the AHL (or competitive men's leagues for our foreign prospects), to gain the required experience.

So you look at the list of players we have on the Marlies, and abroad, and here are the guys primed to see the ice next season: William Nylander, Andreas Johnson, Josh Leivo, Richard Panik, Matt Frattin, Scott Harrington, and Stuart Percy. Those are the guys who've logged the minutes to make the jump. Now of those, Leivo, Panik, and Frattin are on the bubble skill-wise, so I'll take Leivo for my roster, but it could be any one of those guys.

SO, with all that in mind, here is my projection for next season's roster.

van Riemsdyk ($4.25M) - Stamkos ($???) - Komarov ($2.95M)
Holland ($???) - Kadri ($???) - Johnson ($0.751M)
Bozak ($4.2M) - Nylander ($1.744M) - Lupul ($5.25M)
Leivo ($???)- Froese ($0.575M) - Winnik ($1.8M)

Gardiner ($4.05M) - Phaneuf ($7M)
Rielly ($???) - Percy ($???)
Marincin ($???) - Hunwick ($1.2M)

Bernier ($4.15M)
Sparks ($0.77M)

Total Cap Hit (players currently under contract): $38.69M
Projected Cap Max for 2016-17: $74.5M
Cap Space Available: $35.81M

Let's assume Stamkos eats up $10M, Rielly is going to get around $6M. Kadri about $5M. Holland $3M. Leivo, Marincin, and Percy all figure about $1.5M

So that would add up to $28.5M, which leaves a nice cushion for the Leafs, and we even fit under the cap if there is NO increase to the limit. Good cap management? What is this??

There's even room to re-sign Reimer and allow Sparks to continue to develop as the Marlies starting goalie.

Also I think we will likely sign Zaitsev, but he'll need to play a year in the AHL to earn the trust of Babcock/Shanahan.

Marner will *gasp* spend another year in the OHL...

Bozak could also find his way to the 4th line and allow room for a UFA signing (that isn't Stamkos).

Stamkos could also play wing on the top line, allowing Bozak to play C, then moving Komarov to the "Leivo" position.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
JVR - Kadri - Marner
Lupul - Nylander - Brown
Komarov Holland Johnson
Leivo Winnik Froese

Gardiner - Chychrun
Rielly - Corrado
Phaneuf - Dermott

one77

Dec 22, 2013
X - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Kapanen
Johnson - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Gauthier - Leipsic
-Timashov/Bracco/Leivo/Soshnikov

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Dermott
Loov - Nielsen
-Valiev/Percy/Harrington

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
^Dermott in the show next season? I really like the guy, but he could definitely use a year in the A

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Much too early to think about lines but I would love a Komarov-Nylander-Marner line to start the season.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios

You're assuming the Leafs' management is interested in paying the price it takes to get Stamkos + Stamkos doesn't want to stay with Tampa

It would be silly to assume

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
You're assuming the Leafs' management is interested in paying the price it takes to get Stamkos + Stamkos doesn't want to stay with Tampa

It would be silly to assume

Where have you been man.By the way,Stammer is a done deal at 9.1 mill per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad