Line Combos: The Lineup 2016/2017

maplejays62

Dec 19, 2008
This could very well be next years line up. I have Stamkos on the wing and Nylander at center or you can switch them around. They both should be on the first line:

Stamkos Nylander Marner
JVR A. Mathews Brown
Komarov Kadri Leivo
Leipsic Gauthier Bailey

Let the conversation begin

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
I dont think Brown starts the year with the leafs, and Gauthier needs a few more years to develop down there

JVR-Kadri-Stamkos
Komarov-Nylander-Leivo
Leipsic-Bozak-Marner
Winnik-FA-FA

rielly-zaitsev
Gardiner-Phaneuf
Percy-FA

OvenMittz*

Why would you throw your rookies on the first line...
Also Stamkos won't come here to play wing.. Not that I want that contract on our hands anyway.

That is far from what the line up will look like. Sorry.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
My guess is that we sign Stamkos and Zaitsev, and maybe Vesey. I also think that besides the UFAs gone at the deadline, we will trade Bozak.

I think if those things happen it could look something like this.

JVR Stamkos Marner
Komarov Nylander Lupul
Leipsic Kadri Vesey
Holland Froese Leivo

Rielly Zaitsev
Phaneuf Gardiner
Hunwick Harrington/Corrado/Marancin

Bernier
Sparks

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
If we sign Stamkos and draft Matthews, should we trade Kadri as well as Bozak or just play Stammer on the wing and keep Kadri?

champs*

J. van Riemsdy - William Nylander - Connor Brown
Josh Leivo - t. Bozak - Mitchell Marner
Lupul N. Kadri Kasperi Kapanen
P. Holland Byron Froese L. Komarov

J. van Riemsdy - William Nylander - L. Komarov
Soshnikov - t. Bozak - Mitchell Marner
Brendan Leipsic N. Kadri Kasperi Kapanen
Andreas Johnson Byron Froese Connor Brown

Andreas Johnson - William Nylander - Kasperi Kapanen
J. van Riemsdy - t. Bozak - Mitchell Marner
Soshnikov N. Kadri Connor Brown
Josh Leivo Byron Froese Richard Pánik

Hyman - Gauthier- Leipsic​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Marner and Nylander will probably be in the NHL next year, but we're not going to start them on the top line and just throw them to the wolves.

Babcock likes to mix skill and grit on a line, so the top talent will likely be split between three lines.

Stamkos coming to Toronto is a possibility, but he likes to play center. There may be a non-binding but still in good faith promise to use him there if he is signed.

We will likely have an 8.5-13.5% chance of drafting Matthews, so I wouldn't be penciling him in yet.

Tons of great KHL players come over and fail to adapt to the NHL game. Zaitsev may get signed, but he's not a top pairing defenseman. He may not even be a top 4 defenseman.

Johnson, Brown, Kapanen, Leipsic, and even Vesey if he's signed will likely start in the AHL.

I don't see us re-signing any of our UFAs, and we will hopefully also trade Bozak and one of Phaneuf/Hunwick.

JVR-Stamkos-Winnik
Holland-Kadri-Komarov
Lupul-Nylander-Marner
Leivo-Froese-Panik

Add another couple FAs to compete for spots, and we can scratch whoever's having a rough stretch.

Gardiner-Rielly
Phaneuf/Hunwick-Zaitsev
Harrington-Marincin
Percy

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
jvr-stamkos-marner
lupul-nylander-holland
komorov-bozak-leivo
winnik-froese-ufa vet

gardiner-phaneuf
rielly-zaitsev
hunwick-percy
harrington

bernier
sparks

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
jvr-stamkos-marner
lupul-nylander-holland
komorov-bozak-leivo
winnik-froese-ufa vet

gardiner-phaneuf
rielly-zaitsev
hunwick-percy
harrington

bernier
sparks

I came here to pretty much post these exact lines. Though I'd rather someone other than Froese as our 4th line center (Winnik might even be a good option and we can fill the winger spots with guys like Panik, Frattin, Soshnikov, etc.). And I'd also like Reimer to be our starting goalie.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
JVR-Stamkos-Marner
Lupul-Matthews-Komarov
Kadri-Bozak-Nylander
Winnik-Gauthier-Froese

Holland

Gards-Phanny
Rielly-Loov
Hunwick-Zaitsev

Valiev

Sparks/JR

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Marner and Nylander will probably be in the NHL next year, but we're not going to start them on the top line and just throw them to the wolves.

Babcock likes to mix skill and grit on a line, so the top talent will likely be split between three lines.

Stamkos coming to Toronto is a possibility, but he likes to play center. There may be a non-binding but still in good faith promise to use him there if he is signed.

We will likely have an 8.5-13.5% chance of drafting Matthews, so I wouldn't be penciling him in yet.

Tons of great KHL players come over and fail to adapt to the NHL game. Zaitsev may get signed, but he's not a top pairing defenseman. He may not even be a top 4 defenseman.

Johnson, Brown, Kapanen, Leipsic, and even Vesey if he's signed will likely start in the AHL.

I don't see us re-signing any of our UFAs, and we will hopefully also trade Bozak and one of Phaneuf/Hunwick.

JVR-Stamkos-Winnik
Holland-Kadri-Komarov
Lupul-Nylander-Marner
Leivo-Froese-Panik

Add another couple FAs to compete for spots, and we can scratch whoever's having a rough stretch.

Gardiner-Rielly
Phaneuf/Hunwick-Zaitsev
Harrington-Marincin
Percy

If we sign Stamkos why would we trade Phaneuf?

Bozak and Lupul both has very little trade value but if we can fit them in they are still very useful players on short term contracts who we might as well keep for depth and will actually have trade value when a bit more time expires on their deals. If anything I bet JVR or Kadri is dealt first because they could return something.

The first moves to clear cap room will be:

-Winnik will be traded after he collects his signing bonus on July 1st and then is only owed 570K. He isn't nearly as important under Babcock this year as he was last and that contract was structured perfectly to move him for a reason.

-Robidas will be dumped off to a team that doesn't have cap concerns ala Marc Savard or Chris Pronger

-With some of the AHLers management can get creative in sending them down and then bringing them up after Horton is put on LTIR

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
J. Van Riemsdyk ($ 4,250,000) --- S. Stamkos ($ 10,000,000) --- M. Marner ($ 925,000)
D. Winnik ($ 2,250,000) --- N. Kadri ($ 4,100,000) --- UNKN Free Agent
L. Komarov ($ 2,950,000) --- W. Nylander ($ 894,166) --- UNKN Cap Dump from Lupul or Bozak trades
J. Leivo ($ 792,500) --- B. Froese ($ 575,000) --- S. Matthias ($ 1,800,000)
P. Holland ($ 775,000)
** Brown/Shoshnikov/Gauthier/Panik competing for spots

DEFENCE
J. Gardiner ($ 4,050,000) --- D. Phaneuf ($ 7,000,000)
M. Hunwick ($ 1,200,000) --- M. Rielly ($ 894,167)
S. Percy ($ 863,333) --- N. Zaitsev ($ 3,800,000)
S. Harrington ($ 589,167)
GOAL
J. Reimer ($ 2,300,000) --- J. Bernier ($ 4,150,000)

---------------------------------------------------
2015 NHL Cap Limit: $ 71,400,000
23 Player Roster Cap Used: $ 62,458,333
Cap Buried in the Minors: + $ 175,000
Cap Hit from Buyout(s): + $ 1,833,333
2014 Bonus Overages: + $ 0
Cap Retained in Trades : + $ 1,400,000
Cap Retained by Other Team : - $ 0
Long Term Injury Reserve: - $ 0
Cap Space Available : $ 5,533,334

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Marner and Nylander on the same team is just so exciting.

Apparently Lou has really been working the phones. I expect some resident Leafs to be shipped out to make room for 'the core'.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
JVR-Stamkos-Marner
Komarov-Nylander-Johnson
Brown-Kadri-Soshnikov
Leivo-Holland-Free agrent

Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Loov
Percy-Zaitsev

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If we get Stamkos, then him and Nylander will be our top 2 centers for a long time.

IMO, that leaves Kadri and Bozak to fight over the number 3 spot (unless Kadri can play wing).

I believe that Kadri is more effective on the third line against weaker opponents. So if the other team manages to shut down our top two lines, I could see Kadri really lighting it up. That could make us a very dangerous offensive team because we'd have 3 lines that could all dominate.

However, the trade return from Kadri will almost certainly be higher than Bozak's (though Bozak is increasing his value again this year IMO, showing the haters that he can produce without Phil).

With Bozak, we'd get a solid #3 center who can do everything pretty well, including goal scoring. But I feel like Bozak does need a JVR or someone pretty good to play with. Kadri seems to have a special ability to make his wingers look amazing (which could be useful if we have some rookie wingers on the team next year).

So everything else being equal, I'd probably rather we keep Kadri as our #3 Center behind Nylander and Stamkos. However, everything is not equal. We're probably better off getting a good return for Kadri and using Bozak as our #3 for the duration of his contract. But if we can trade Bozak and keep Kadri for under $5... that's something to consider. I have a feeling that Kadri will be traded for a 1st, a prospect, and maybe a #4 center.

I donno... it's a tricky situation. The safe play is to take the return on a Kadri trade and use Bozak as a #3. Bozak seems like the ideal #3 center IMO. However, Kadri has the potential to be much more dangerous. I think that's a coaching preference IMO. Do we want a 3rd line of Komorov - Bozak - Winnik ... or would we rather Lupul - Kadri - Leivo. To win the cup, you have to take some gambles... it's just a question of whether keeping Kadri as a #3 center is a good gamble to take.

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Lupul-Nylander-Komarov
Winnik-Holland-Brown
Matthias-Froese-Leivo

anyone drafted not named matthews is probably back in junior, id throw matthews on line 3 and move holland to wing, bump brown down and leivo out. 3rd and 4th line rookie spots you rotate until you find guys that stick

d is probably similar, -polak +zaitsev, could see one of harrington/marincin traded

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
JVR Stamkos Nylander
Vesey Kadri Komarov
Holland Marner Lupul
Winnik Froese Leivo

Gardiner Phaneuf
Chychrun Rielly
Hunwick Harrington

Reimer
Sparks