The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
But it's not the only thing that makes a Zelda game, a Zelda game. There's more to a Zelda game than characters and tropes. In fact, the series has had games that moved away from familiar mythology, like Link's Awakening as you mentioned, and Minish Cap, in addition to Majora's Mask. That's why I mentioned the gameplay elements.

Isn't it fair to say that Majora's Mask is, by far, the one that departs the most?

That doesn't make it bad per se, but that is my point.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Definitely seems like this will be a system seller for the NX, especially since few people have a Wii U, most will opt for the NX version.

I wonder if Nintendo will do some Zelda launch bundles for the NX next year.

Very curious to see how strong the NX launch will be, especially happening outside of the holiday shopping season. Zelda will definitely help.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I'm with you guys. This video was great.

It may have just convinced me that I need to invest in the new Nintendo system for this game.

I agree.

Can't wait to see footage of the game running on the NX and how it compares.

All the footage we've seen so far is from the Wii U version of the game.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The lack of motion controls in the Switch makes me excited for this. Zelda might actually handle well again without the motion controls holding it back, aka my biggest complaint with Twilight Princess and especially Skyward Sword.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The lack of motion controls in the Switch makes me excited for this. Zelda might actually handle well again without the motion controls holding it back, aka my biggest complaint with Twilight Princess and especially Skyward Sword.

Why "especially Skyward Sword"? The motion controls were soooo much better in SS than in Twilight Princess.

MotionPlus is what the Wii really should have had from the beginning. The late Wii games that supported it, like SS, had actually pretty good motion control.

The motion control in TP was terrible. Just waggle in place of a button press. I think people's problem with SS was people thought they could sword fight by waggle like in TP, but you actually has to control the position and directionality of the Wiimote like a real sword.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
At least to me, Twilight Princess was better as it was a game that all you needed to do was waggle. Waggle to swing, boom. Kind of dumb and clunky, but it worked.

Skyward Sword, though? It's all about the supposed precision that the MotionPlus was supposed to be. But, more likely than not, you had to hold it at a perfectly awkward angle for longer than needed to make sure that the game registered it and, even if the controls read your swing direction correctly 95% of the time (and I believe this is generous), it's still an enormous failure rate when compared to traditional controls. All that for the occasional gimmicky enemy that blocks either vertical or horizontal strikes? Or to hold your sword vertically (and by that, I mean a certain narrow angle) to power up? Meh, not nearly worth it. Some fights became chores with that.

Skyward Sword had a lot of flaws beyond the controls, but they were the big one to me. Can't even tell you how many times I just wished I could've played with a traditional controller during that playthrough.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Twilight Princess motion controls were ite, but it plays much better on Wii U.

Speaking of Two PRI, BOTW looks like it's game play will be modeled after the former, and I'm OK with that, because IMO Twi PRI has the best gameplay of any Zelda game.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Really think I'm going to get BOTW on Switch and not WiiU. I had pre-ordered for WiiU but may back off now.

Seeing Switch today sold me.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I got a WiiU earlier this year and from the looks of it, the game will mostly run fine on it.

I probably should have waited for the Switch but hey, I got to play a bunch of sweet WiiU games instead.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I got a WiiU earlier this year and from the looks of it, the game will mostly run fine on it.

I probably should have waited for the Switch but hey, I got to play a bunch of sweet WiiU games instead.

I'm also likely to buy the Wii U version, since I have a Wii U and want to get my hands on BOTW asap - but am not likely to get a Switch at launch.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

lol i had the wii u version pre-ordered from when it was SUPPOSED to JUST be on the wii u. i am def. getting a switch so i am wondering if there will be a Switch/BOTW limited edition combo pack or something.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
lol i had the wii u version pre-ordered from when it was SUPPOSED to JUST be on the wii u. i am def. getting a switch so i am wondering if there will be a Switch/BOTW limited edition combo pack or something.

True

A bundle BotW/Switch might be something I'd consider depending on the price and if the performance is noticeably better on Switch

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
People still pre-order games? Could you explain to me why?

It's not like these games are going to be in short supply after release. Especially now that all new games are available as digital downloads too. There are no shortages for new video games anymore.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I personally like the comfort of the game being in my mailbox when I get home from work that release evening, I don't have to stop anywhere and get harassed (GameStop) or wait two hours for the game to download/install (like I did with Color Splash)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
People still pre-order games? Could you explain to me why?

It's not like these games are going to be in short supply after release. Especially now that all new games are available as digital downloads too. There are no shortages for new video games anymore.

discounts.
if you pre-order you get the cheapest price - with some games (with Nintendo) you get pre-order stuff, like with Hyrule Warriors you got free costume changes and what not.

I also don't download games for the most part if i can have the hard copy :) and i am a hermit/don't have time - to go deal with huge line ups. amazon prime makes it very worthwhile (because you get the "just went on line" price then you get a 20% discount price for any new release. so bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia