The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I recognize evolution and change as being positive things, but I'm reading posts in this thread that say stuff like "people wanted change and now they've got it" and stuff like that

Am I alone in being ready and willing to pay money to play OoT 2.0 for the rest of time? Like it is great that they are giving us this huge new game with all of these features but I'd play new Oracle of ____ games on 3DS (even if they had same graphics as the other Oracle games) if it meant we got the games a bit closer together

I am hyped up for this game but I don't have this huge feeling like "oh man all this waiting is going to pay off!"

Last time we waited a few years and got Skyward Sword... not saying this game is going to be as underwhelming as that was, just that I don't need them to reinvent the wheel, just make a good Zelda game a bit more often

I'm the same. like- one of the reasons why Majora's mask is seen to be one of the strongest titles (even though it's a touch strange) is that they used the OoT database, and only had like what? less than a year to get it done? but it's got great (re)playability and it only has 4 dungeons. I know for me, as long as it was able to be purchased for Wiiu Virtual Shop, I'd buy it. (i won't shell out for a 3DS though to be fair now there looks to be a few games i'd like to have, including Link Between Worlds. lol).

In this regard Nintendo kind of has a kind of a funny history here with Zelda when you stop and think about it.

When they were launching the Gamecube, they showed off a Zelda demo that was basically adult Link in a souped up Ocarina of time... and people loved it. Then x(?) years later they showed off the Zelda they were actually making, Wind Waker with toon Link... and people lost their **** :laugh:. Zelda fans were crying, and non-Zelda fans were making fun of them.

Game design and concept art is typically started quite early in the process, so these reactions were probably a key influence in the style they chose for Twilight Princess. Yet in hindsight, despite all the fuss people loved Windwaker but were indifferent to Twilight Princess. I'm sure Nintendo learned a lesson here, and for Skyward Sword and now Breath of the Wild they've chosen an art style that's something inbetween WW and TP. A little closer to TP in SS, and now back a little more towards WW in BW.

:laugh: I remember that. and as someone states - it will age well. though I mean - I always figure it's kinda moot. does it truly matter if it physically ages well -as it was shown you can HD it up and it will look relatively nice eventually. :)

and thinking about it (I saw some more gameplay) the return of the stamina gauge (guh) is back so that + everything else talked about makes me wonder if this is smacked firmly after SS. It can be Ganon's first origin story I betcha too.

While I am glad I bought TPHD (because i got sick of motion control) - i'm bummed that the connection between TP/BotW is that Wolf Link is your companion.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I recognize evolution and change as being positive things, but I'm reading posts in this thread that say stuff like "people wanted change and now they've got it" and stuff like that

Am I alone in being ready and willing to pay money to play OoT 2.0 for the rest of time? Like it is great that they are giving us this huge new game with all of these features but I'd play new Oracle of ____ games on 3DS (even if they had same graphics as the other Oracle games) if it meant we got the games a bit closer together

I am hyped up for this game but I don't have this huge feeling like "oh man all this waiting is going to pay off!"

Last time we waited a few years and got Skyward Sword... not saying this game is going to be as underwhelming as that was, just that I don't need them to reinvent the wheel, just make a good Zelda game a bit more often

Maybe this is just me, but I'd be annoyed if Nintendo stuck with the old and kept making Ocarina clones. Twilight Princess was frustrating because it just felt like another boring Ocarina rehash instead of trying something new, and in my eyes, felt like a complete downgrade from Majora's Mask and even Wind Waker. The story was treading familiar ground with minor differences, and the gameplay has been the same old since Ocarina with minor differences. Nintendo doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, but it's worth it to change up a few things. With the greater emphasis on exploration and possibly crafting/item creation, this looks to be the Zelda game that finally gives you a world where you can take it by the reigns and be creative with it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Twlight Princess had some neat ideas though. The problem was it was buried in the pile of **** that is known as the first half of the game.

The one thing i don't want them to change is the standard; do some **** to open dungeon, and then go defeat dungeon. If you wanna throw in some side stuff, then by all means. But make it optional. This game looks like it'll have something like that.

As people have said, if you just take the model used from ALBW and expand on it, i think you got something really good on your hands.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Twlight Princess had some neat ideas though. The problem was it was buried in the pile of **** that is known as the first half of the game.

The one thing i don't want them to change is the standard; do some **** to open dungeon, and then go defeat dungeon. If you wanna throw in some side stuff, then by all means. But make it optional. This game looks like it'll have something like that.

As people have said, if you just take the model used from ALBW and expand on it, i think you got something really good on your hands.

i heard that it was an option
you can play ALBW style or you can play normal style

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
i heard that it was an option
you can play ALBW style or you can play normal style

Well there isn't really a normal style. The way LBW works is that instead of putting the dungeon items in the dungeons they are all in a store where you rent them for a small amount of rupees, or buy them out right for a larger amount.

I think the game does suggest an order for you, but really it is just up to you.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Easily the most popular demo here at E3. The lineups to try it out are hilariously long.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

OoT is basically the LttP formula in 3D.

We've mostly been playing through rehashes of LttP since 1998 (when OoT released which was the first non held Zelda since 1991).

So no, I'm very glad they are ditching the formula.

And Skyward Sword gets way too much hate, the game was fine and much more fun than Twilight Princess.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
OoT is basically the LttP formula in 3D.

We've mostly been playing through rehashes of LttP since 1998 (when OoT released which was the first non held Zelda since 1991).

So no, I'm very glad they are ditching the formula.

And Skyward Sword gets way too much hate, the game was fine and much more fun than Twilight Princess.

I never understood the Skyward Sword hate outside of maybe the controls (though I never had an issue with it and actually I thought it worked well). It looks good, I liked having the puzzles out in the environment as well.

I do agree that a big shakeup of the formula is more than welcome right now. Hell one common complaint about SS was it didn't shake things up enough.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I never understood the Skyward Sword hate outside of maybe the controls (though I never had an issue with it and actually I thought it worked well). It looks good, I liked having the puzzles out in the environment as well.

I do agree that a big shakeup of the formula is more than welcome right now. Hell one common complaint about SS was it didn't shake things up enough.

Skyward Sword suffered from a really boring overworld: I enjoyed the game but most of it came from the dungeons (which I thought were mostly outstanding).

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Agreed

Twilight Princess was absolute chore all the way through

However, the Skyward Sword overworld was painfully linear, there was more exploration in Twilight Princess

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Agreed

Twilight Princess was absolute chore all the way through

However, the Skyward Sword overworld was painfully linear, there was more exploration in Twilight Princess

Well in a vague sense as there was more space, but there literally was nothing there. I never wanted to explore that much.

The simple additions of sprinting and climbing anything should make Breath of the Wild's overworld much less of a chore to navigate. Parasail as well.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Skyward Sword over world wasn't boring, it was just too small. There should have been way more sky islands to explore in particular.

On the other hand, SS had some very good dungeons.

I don't know about the rest of you, but dungeons are one of my favorite aspects of Zelda games. That's why I rank Majora's Mask much lower than most - only 4 dungeons. That and I don't really like the idea of time constraints in a Zelda game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I hated Majora's Mask.

I probably would have liked it had it not been a Zelda game however, and since it really did not need to be one I believe it was a poor use of the label.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
yeah Majora's Mask is far from my favorite Zelda game. I get why people love it, but it doesn't hit me personally.

Skyward Sword was "disappointing" because I think people were expecting a game like Breath of the Wild and then it wasn't. It's not a bad game by itself at all.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
See, because TP was my first 3D title - maybe I love it because of that, but i always have to wonder why people feel it is a chore or something, because i thought it was amazing. (and I think something really close to a OoT throw back - once i played OoT at first).

I didn't like Majora's mask at first (the whole rewind time thing threw me off and ticked me off for a while but i really ended up liking it. in the end. I felt the same thing about SS... I think up until after the first temple then I got engrossed. (but i won't lie. they need to make SS-HD, so the stupid motion control can be done with).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
See, because TP was my first 3D title - maybe I love it because of that, but i always have to wonder why people feel it is a chore or something, because i thought it was amazing. (and I think something really close to a OoT throw back - once i played OoT at first).

I didn't like Majora's mask at first (the whole rewind time thing threw me off and ticked me off for a while but i really ended up liking it. in the end. I felt the same thing about SS... I think up until after the first temple then I got engrossed. (but i won't lie. they need to make SS-HD, so the stupid motion control can be done with).

I didn't think it was a chore at all. It was fairly big and largely empty, but that's why you had Epona right from the start. If you want to talk about a weak over world I'd look at Ocarina of Time, which was basically just a big round area that you traveled through to get to the next location.

My one complaint for Twilight Princess was that the difficulty for the dungeon's never scaled. Dungeon's 4-7 were about the same size & challenge as 1-3, except now you had more hearts so the later ones actually ended up being easier.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I hated Majora's Mask.

I probably would have liked it had it not been a Zelda game however, and since it really did not need to be one I believe it was a poor use of the label.

The idea of a game not matching up to the brand's expected tropes is a strange one, especially when MM's differences in relation to the Zelda series is what makes it a cult classic game.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The idea of a game not matching up to the brand's expected tropes is a strange one, especially when MM's differences in relation to the Zelda series is what makes it a cult classic game.

The differences with Zelda conventions are all for the worse, IMO.

One of the great things about Zelda games are the dungeons. MM only had four.

Another great thing about Zelda games is the ability to explore the world at your own pace. But MM slaps a timer on your exploration.

It's an overrated game, IMO, that people tend to praise highly simply because it's "dark."

I'm not saying it's not a good game. But I wouldn't have it in my top 5 Zelda games, personally.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I praise MM for its interesting plot and extremely in depth sidequest system. That is the real meat of the game, and it is extremely well done. I cared about basically everyone in MM more than anyone in OoT.

Doesn't matter much. Wind Waker is my actual favorite 3D Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca